Who knew BC was so socially conservative?

Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Re: Who knew BC was so socially conservative?

Post by Bagotricks »

Bestside wrote:
Bagotricks wrote:...and what was left out of the article was....
Academic studies show the death penalty is not a deterrent to criminals, including murderers, said Plecas, who teaches at the University of the Fraser Valley."There is not a shred of evidence from any study that's ever been done that says it has a deterrent effect. That has been beaten to death," Plecas said.He cited B.C.'s gang problem as proof that violent criminals facing possible death are not deterred from their lifestyle."All they need to do is look at the gang situation. People are under constant threat of death ...that doesn't hold them back," Plecas said.

That's total academic BS !!!!

As opposed to what, non-researched, non-factual, knee-jerk emotional responses?
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Bestside wrote:A year in jail would deter me from doing lots of things. The stiffer the penalty the greater the deterrence.
That's just common sense... obviously lacking in some people...

Here is the cheat-sheet for you.

Criminals don't think they are going to get caught. Why would they be worried about the consequences after the fact?

Would you murder someone if you thought you were not going to get away with it?

Logic fail.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

steven lloyd wrote:
TyrianQuill wrote: Like my signature says I am not here to convert or be converted- you have your opinion and I have mine. I do not play the game of countering, I state my opinion and move on.

Your confusion is giving me a headache :sleepdeprived:

arguing.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Centurion
Board Meister

Post by Centurion »

It would be interesting to see how the question was worded and what cross-section of society was questioned, as I don't believe even 25% of Canadians would support reinstating the death penalty. A civilized society does not kill.
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Centurion wrote:It would be interesting to see how the question was worded and what cross-section of society was questioned, as I don't believe even 25% of Canadians would support reinstating the death penalty. A civilized society does not kill.

Exactly. We need a thin glass sheet and "The X Zone".

That is civilized...Superman style.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

The Angus Reid analysis of the poll helps explain the numbers a bit. A majority of Canadians favour the death penalty for murderers but when given the option of life in prison without parole support for the death penalty drops substantially. People don't want to see those who have committed dastardly deeds getting out of prison anytime soon so if it's a choice between early release and the death penalty a majority choose the latter.

Analysis

Last year, Angus Reid Public Opinion asked similar questions in the United States and Britain, and found that a majority of respondents in both countries supported the continuation or the return of the death penalty. Americans and Britons also selected capital punishment over life imprisonment without the possibility of parole.

Canadians are unique in the sense that they back the return of the death penalty, but the level of support for this change drops considerably when paired against the notion of life imprisonment without parole. While the mandatory sentence for a person convicted of murder in Canada is life behind bars, the parole ineligibility period ranges from five to 25 years, depending on the offence and circumstances.
http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/44374/c ... h-penalty/
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Centurion wrote:It would be interesting to see how the question was worded and what cross-section of society was questioned, as I don't believe even 25% of Canadians would support reinstating the death penalty. A civilized society does not kill.

Hmmm, sometimes you have to kill to become a civilized society, no? Do away with all the costly to support human trash. Incidentally, Canada is far from being "civilized" yet, and headed downhill from a social perspective to boot IMO.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

NAB wrote: ... , Canada is far from being "civilized" yet, and headed downhill from a social perspective to boot IMO.

In your opinion being the key piece in that statement.

( although if some of those more whacked-out Conservative MPs get any more traction
I suppose we could regress and head back downhill fast ... )
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

steven lloyd wrote:
NAB wrote: ... , Canada is far from being "civilized" yet, and headed downhill from a social perspective to boot IMO.

In your opinion being the key piece in that statement.

( although if some of those more whacked-out Conservative MPs get any more traction
I suppose we could regress and head back downhill fast ... )

Nah, like I said, wayyy past time to put out the trash for collection and burial ;-)

Edit: "IMO" ;-)

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Centurion wrote:A civilized society does not kill.

Tell it to pro-choice people.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote:

A civilized society does not kill already living people.

* or send desperate and marginalized women into a back alley to be violated by a coat hanger
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

steven lloyd wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:

A civilized society does not kill already living people.

...do brown people in yet another country needed of democratic changes count?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote:
steven lloyd wrote: A civilized society does not kill already living people.

...do brown people in yet another country needed of democratic changes count?

:-k Hmmmm, I think we might be drifting, ... but fair point.

And the weapon of choice ...

steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

And for the ground attack ...

Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

Bagotricks wrote:
Bestside wrote:A year in jail would deter me from doing lots of things. The stiffer the penalty the greater the deterrence.
That's just common sense... obviously lacking in some people...

Here is the cheat-sheet for you.

(1) Criminals don't think they are going to get caught. Why would they be worried about the consequences after the fact?

(2) Would you murder someone if you thought you were not going to get away with it?

Logic fail.

Here is the tissue for you, with your "Logic fail".
1. With your above logic it's obvious the answer for these people is the death penalty if they don't care about the consequences.

2. That's what I have been saying... the death penalty for first degree increases the risk of "not going to get away with it", so that people do a better job of measuring the risk of lethal harm to themselves. Premeditated murder takes thought... consequences go into that thought in lots of the plots that are abandoned...
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum

Return to “B.C.”