So, a ski hill on a glacier?

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: So, a ski hill on a glacier?

Post by The Green Barbarian »

twobits wrote:
I am all for environmental consideratons and wildlife preservation but there has to be a balance between that and the economy.

Unfortunately, too many people disagree with this assessment - any new development is greeted with hysteria and hyperbole, with no consideration for the balance you speak of. And to top it off, when new developments happen, some people get rich! Can't have that.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

twobits wrote: You posted links to only things that agreed with your twisted slant.

Twisted slant?

It's very basic.

- There is a ski resort looking to more than double their water draw license (and subsequent impact) and pull a few hundred million more liters of water from the *endangered* Kettle River so they can sell condos and make more money. The proposal is not in any way designed "to help the river", as you eluded to.

- There are hydrologists, river experts, environmental experts and *gasp* outdoor enthusiasts and hunters who all agree it is a bad idea because the river is drying up (couldn't even tube it last year) and there are farms, cattle and wildlife downstream that matter more than Kiwi Condos.

Without a environment, there is no economy.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

*try again with an actual point, and make it on topic and without the personal attack/Jo*
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Captain Awesome wrote:So...how many grizzlies Big White killed?

More importantly, how many grizzly bears actually hang out on a glacier?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Glacier wrote:More importantly, how many grizzly bears actually hang out on a glacier?

Importantly? How about factually? Who says this is about "bears hanging out on glaciers"?

How many Grizzlies will move out of that entire valley once a road is put in? How many migration paths will be changed? How many that stay will be killed by trucks and garbage hunger, resulting in panicked phone calls and conservation officers putting down the bears?
Last edited by Bagotricks on Mar 22nd, 2012, 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

*try again, this time stay on topic without the personal attac/Jo*
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Bagotricks wrote:
How many Grizzlies will move out of that entire valley once a road is put in? How many migartion paths will be changed? How many that stay will be killed by trucks and garbage hunger, resulting in panicked phone calls and conservation officers putting down the bears?

Not sure on all of these questions - what does the proposal say about how they plan on dealing with this issue? I am curious if they have thought about it, and what their action plan is. I always hate to see bears shot because they get into the habit of raiding dumpsters, so sad.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

http://www.jumbowild.com/grizzlies

Right now the bears are just fine, no need here. Life will go on if people cant ski there. There are plenty of other choices.

Even so called "red necks" around the area don't want the park because that means Grizzlies getting road killed or shot - or just leaving the area - and then the province wont be issuing as many (or any at all) hunting tickets for Grizzlies in the area.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

You are right Bago - there are plenty of other choices already for ski hills.
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Mounties gear up for Jumbo Glacier Resort protests

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... tests.html

Post from a Rossland dweller :

I live near Red Mountain, which HAS a slopeside village and great terrain. The condos aren't selling and were recently reduced by $100,000 (on $300K units). Ski Hills don't make money, real estate makes money, but right now, NOTHING is making money.

If this assinine behemoth of a project goes through, after phase 1 condos are put in and don't sell, the whole thing will grind to a halt. All those idiots (including the Libs) who are imagining millions in tax revenue have done ZERO research into the economic climate of ski resorts, especially in the area.

See you at the protest
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Bagotricks wrote:I live near Red Mountain, which HAS a slopeside village and great terrain. The condos aren't selling and were recently reduced by $100,000 (on $300K units). Ski Hills don't make money, real estate makes money, but right now, NOTHING is making money.

If this assinine behemoth of a project goes through, after phase 1 condos are put in and don't sell, the whole thing will grind to a halt.

I can understand protesting on grounds of grizzly wellbeing (cause grizzlies do care about humans, so we should care about them) but protesting on basis that project won't make enough money - that's kinda stupid. Let investors sweat about not making enough money or current economic climate. Besides, I'm sure a giant corporation investing billions in this would probably have more economic sense than some guy with an opinion.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Here's the thing the closes airport of any size is Cranbrook so you're looking at 380 (+/- 15) Km drive around trip, this place is going to be remote.

Added: Vancouver to Whistler 250 Km (round trip) 4 Hr. (+/- 45 minutes for traffic)

Calgary to Sunshine Village 264 Km (round trip) 3.5 Hr. (+/- 45 minutes)

Cranbrook to Invermere 266 Km (round trip) 4 Hr. (+/- 45 minutes) But you have to add 106 Km + time (round trip to Jumbo from Invermere)
Last edited by GordonH on Mar 25th, 2012, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Captain Awesome wrote:I can understand protesting on grounds of grizzly well being (cause grizzlies do care about humans, so we should care about them) but protesting on basis that project won't make enough money - that's kinda stupid. Let investors sweat about not making enough money or current economic climate. Besides, I'm sure a giant corporation investing billions in this would probably have more economic sense than some guy with an opinion.

Given the limited shelf life of the glacier, and the economic realities of the resorts in the area (and flying into Cranbrook sucks) I believe its more of a question of "We are destroying ____ for what/who's benefit?"

The government that is on their way out like bellbottoms in 1982 is selling that property to the developers at 5000 a acre. You're right - the developer will make killer money flipping those acres into condos and retail square footage. It's the middle men, the families buying high and selling low, the stores and the community that will suffer and be screwed. Not to mention the destruction of a untouched Land-Before-Time valley. The Rossland guys "option" is one of fact based on the current Kootenay condo resort prices.

20 years on the table and this DOA government signs off on the most conversational wildlife/resort destruction in recent history. I bet there are some BC liberals that will be getting serious kickbacks from the developers once this dust is all cleared and these Liberals are out of work.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Bagotricks wrote:...I believe its more of a question of "We are destroying ____ for what/who's benefit?"

20 years on the table and this DOA government signs off on the most conversational wildlife/resort destruction in recent history.

See, environmental angle is a much better protest anchor as opposed to what you've posted earlier. It speaks to environmentally aware people as opposed to "Developer will lose money" - cause nobody really cares about some investor guy losing money. Unless you actually invested money, that is...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Not sure on all of these questions (about grizzlies) - what does the proposal say about how they plan on dealing with this issue? I am curious if they have thought about it, and what their action plan is. I always hate to see bears shot because they get into the habit of raiding dumpsters, so sad.

The planning process includes wildlife migration patterns. Any problems identified have to be addressed to the government's -- and the very more responsible environmental lobby's -- satisfaction.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014

Return to “B.C.”