ICBC

John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Getting rid of ICBC!

Post by John500 »

So many people "love" ICBC. ICBC has been in BC since the Barrett government. Remember??? Its just about a whole generation that does not know any better. In this free enterprise province, why do we not have a simple choice. Why am I paying for so many idiots out there. ICBC is a very bureaucratic inflexible company. No efficiency. Great government general revenue money supplier of my insurance money. The dealings I have had with ICBC has been very poor. Information I needed from their head office was not correct. That happened several times. And when you talk to the people on the frontline who sell ICBC insurance, if you get them to talk about ICBC, they all say similar things about their dislike to ICBC. So for those who "love" ICBC, keep on dreaming.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

people dont have to buy any ICBC insurance but basic pink slip coverage.All your collision,glass,fire etc u can buy private
but its not any cheaper.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

ticat900 wrote:people dont have to buy any ICBC insurance but basic pink slip coverage.All your collision,glass,fire etc u can buy private
but its not any cheaper.

My optional coverage is substantially cheaper from a private insurer than ICBC so I'd like to be able to buy my basic "pink slip coverage" through them too but I'm not allowed to. Why? Shouldn't we have the choice?
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

Ticat quote:
people dont have to buy any ICBC insurance but basic pink slip coverage.All your collision,glass,fire etc u can buy private
but its not any cheaper.[/quote]
QUOTE:
My optional coverage is substantially cheaper from a private insurer than ICBC so I'd like to be able to buy my basic "pink slip coverage" through them too but I'm not allowed to. Why? Shouldn't we have the choice?[/quote]
Reply;
I do not beleive you when u say substantially cheaper.U must have a bad claim with ICBC then or claims as I have priced and repriced ICBC vereses private on several of my Vehicles over the last year and both policys combined in the end are within 20$ of each other for 20$ I dont want to be dealing with 2 insurance companys as one is bad enough
I,am claims free 20+ CDR
If it really was substantially cheaper beleive you me everyone would be doing it myself included
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

ticat900 wrote:I do not beleive you when u say substantially cheaper.U must have a bad claim with ICBC then or claims as I have priced and repriced ICBC vereses private on several of my Vehicles over the last year and both policys combined in the end are within 20$ of each other for 20$ I dont want to be dealing with 2 insurance companys as one is bad enough
I,am claims free 20+ CDR
If it really was substantially cheaper beleive you me everyone would be doing it myself included

Same 20 year claims free here. Between all my families vehicles and my company vehicles I save around $3k per year with my private carrier. Is that substantial enough for you? As has been pointed out if i had claims my rate with private insurance would supposedly be higher if they would insure me at all.
Why can't i be allowed to save even more by buying all my insurance privately if i want to?

Most people simply don't realize that they can buy their optional coverage privately and most Autoplan agents do not point out this fact to them. You yourself admit dealing with ICBC is no treat so why wouldn't you be in favor of eliminating ICBC's monopoly so you could get all your coverage from one company that may not be ICBC if you could save some money? Don't we at least deserve that option or choice?
BCLCB had a monopoly on liquor sales yet seem to be doing OK in an open market environment. The government still has ultimate control and ensures all the products sold privately meet their standards and are sold in a prescribed manner.
Does ICBC need their monopoly to survive? Can't they compete without it?
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

well I really really have a hard time beleiving you saved [u]3000$[/u] on private glass and collission insurance
Based on how many vehicles??
I took my garage policy last year and shopped it and Private insurance could not touch the 62% discount i receive from ICBC
I also shopped my 5 private insured cars and like I indicated a few posts ago it was like a 20$ difference.Hardley worth having two insurers to save 20$ per car

just for the heck of it I just did a quote on my envoy CDN direct was $432.50 and ICBC was 435.00
3mill liability 1K ded on collission and 500 on Comp
Last edited by ticat900 on Mar 31st, 2012, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

ticat900 wrote:well I really really have a hard time beleiving you saved [u]3000$[/u] on private glass and collission insurance
Based on how many vehicles??
I took my garage policy last year and shopped it and Private insurance could not touch the 62% discount i receive from ICBC
I also shopped my 5 private insured cars and like I indicated a few posts ago it was like a 20$ difference.Hardley worth having two insurers to save 20$ per car

The $3k saving is based on 10 vehicles

Why should you have to have two insurers? Why shouldn't you be able to save your $100 (5x$20)and only have to deal with one insurer if you so choose? Ever wondered if you might save more than the $100 if you were allowed to buy ALL your coverage from the private company that you say is indeed less expensive than ICBC?
Why not just end the ICBC monopoly and let consumers decide who they want to deal with?
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

The $3k saving is based on 10 vehicles

Why should you have to have two insurers? Why shouldn't you be able to save your $100 (5x$20)and only have to deal with one insurer if you so choose? Ever wondered if you might save more than the $100 if you were allowed to buy ALL your coverage from the private company that you say is indeed less expensive than ICBC?
Why not just end the ICBC monopoly and let consumers decide who they want to deal with?[/quote]

like I just said
just for the heck of it I just did a quote on my envoy CDN direct was $432.50 and ICBC was 435.00
3mill liability 1K ded on collission and 500 on Comp

I do not beleive you saved 3 grand on your private insurance, I have been there and tryed that more than once and a lot more than 10 vehicles and have found virtually no difference on private verses ICBC
I have no idea how u saved 3K.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

ticat900 wrote:I have no idea how u saved 3K.

Well that pretty well sums it up.

You tell us dealing with ICBC is an unpleasant experience and that you have indeed found private insurance to be cheaper than ICBC but interestingly you will not explain, even when asked multiple times, why you support ICBC's monopoly rather than seeing ICBC compete for your business in an open market?

PS: the quote function located in the top right corner is very easy to use and makes your posts far more legible and easier to understand
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

Well that pretty well sums it up.

You tell us dealing with ICBC is an unpleasant experience and that you have indeed found private insurance to be cheaper than ICBC but interestingly you will not explain, even when asked multiple times, why you support ICBC's monopoly rather than seeing ICBC compete for your business in an open market?

PS: the quote function located in the top right corner is very easy to use and makes your posts far more legible and easier to understand[/quote]

Dont be putting words in my mouth.If U call call 20.00 cheaper well I dont. not based on a $1200 policy
I dont support ICBC monopoly?where did i say that? ICBC as i said is alot better to deal with now they have private run estimation facilitys in place.
Like I said I do not beleive you saved 3000.00 on Private insurance policys covering 10 vehicles.I have done as I have told u several times much research on PI verses ICBC and they are for the most part both the same price
You may beleive you saved $3000K but I know you never did.I have a $25000.00 Garage auto policy and as I told u PI could not come close to ICBC on that quote.I repeat I never said PI is cheaper than ICBC I said they about the same in most cases
In the GA policy PI was a joke compared to ICBC
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

ticat900 wrote:Dont be putting words in my mouth.If U call call 20.00 cheaper well I dont. not based on a $1200 policy
$1180 is less than $1200 isn't it? You have told us repeatedly now that you could get the same coverage for less privately than through ICBC didn't you so how exactly am I putting words in your mouth? Some of us can't/don't just through around $100 bills but obviously you can and do.
I dont support ICBC monopoly?where did i say that?
You support ICBC as your sole auto insurance provider don't you? You've told us you only buy from them even though you can get coverage for less privately.
ICBC as i said is alot better to deal with now they have private run estimation facilitys in place.
You said "dealing with one insurance company is bad enough" didn't you? Hardly sounds like you enjoy it. Interesting that you feel service improved when ICBC turned things over to the private sector.
Like I said I do not beleive you saved 3000.00 on Private insurance policys covering 10 vehicles.
Believe what ever you want. I don't believe some people are so thick that they remain ICBC stooges, ooops customers, when they repeatedly learn they can get the same coverage for less elsewhere.
have done as I have told u several times much research on PI verses ICBC and they are for the most part both the same price
For you maybe, even though you have repeatedly told us private insurance was less expensive when you checked. Read ICBC's own material, rates vary form driver to driver and vehicle to vehicle.
You may beleive you saved $3000K but I know you never did.
You seem to think you know a whole lot about me, are you a stalker?
I have a $25000.00 Garage auto policy and as I told u PI could not come close to ICBC on that quote.
I don't have a garage policy, like most people I don't need one nor do I/we care what they cost. Compared to vehicle policies I wonder how many garage policies ICBC sells? One million to one? Maybe ICBC charges more for those one million vehicle policies so they can sell garage policies for less? I have ten vehicles which I pay the premiums on and ICBC couldn't touch my private carrier on optional coverage.I just wish I could compare rates on the basic but a monopoly prevents me from ever knowing how much I might save or if I really am getting a deal.
repeat I never said PI is cheaper than ICBC I said they about the same in most cases
You have told us everywhere you checked private insurance was less??????????
In the GA policy PI was a joke compared to ICBC
So you chose ICBC, good for you. Wasn't it nice to have a choice or at least be to be able to get a comparative quote? Wouldn't it be nice to be able to get a comparative quote and have a choice with your auto insurance too?
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

Deleted by Trip. Off topic. Post like that again, and you'll be playing elsewhere.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

ticat900 wrote:
Also to note you brag about owning 10 vehicles........................buy a fleet insurance plan like I do and then
you really would save 3000$

Again I never said everywhere i checked PI was cheaper.I said they PI and ICBC were always within $20 of each other
(either way) U call 20$ on a 1300$ policy cheaper and good for U.I happen to think thats the same as its such a minute number on a bill that large

Now you're catching on.
You finally realize, and admit, that it is indeed possible to achieve a $3000 saving over ICBC if one has a fleet policy privately. Did you ask if I indeed have a fleet policy?( which I do on the 7 company vehicles of the 10 vehicles I own)

Here's a another question for you. When you pay ICBC that $1300 premium do you write the cheque for $1280 and say "its the same amount IMO"? How does that work for you?
Last edited by cv23 on Apr 1st, 2012, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

Now you're catching on.
You finally realize, and admit, that it is indeed possible to achieve a $3000 saving over ICBC if one has a fleet policy. Did you ask if I indeed have a fleet policy?( which I do on the 7 company vehicles of the 10 vehicles I own)

Here's a another question for you. When you pay ICBC that $1300 premium do you write the cheque for $1280 and say "its the same amount IMO"? How does that work for you?[/quote]

No as usuall you are misreading and misstating what i said.I said if you had a ICBC fleet policy then I would belive you may save around 3000$ verses 10 single policys.I NEVER EVER said I was talking about and or refering to a PI fleet policy
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

ticat900 wrote:I said if you had a ICBC fleet policy then I would belive you may save around 3000$ verses 10 single policys.I NEVER EVER said I was talking about and or refering to a PI fleet policy

I'm having a bit of a tough time finding where you specify the carrier because your totally defamatory post seems to have been removed. As I recall, and everyone read, you never specified any form of carrier did you?
Without you having the ability to get a comparative quote on my specific vehicles how is it that you are so sure that when compared to a private carrier that ICBC is "the same amount" as you refer to it? Are you using the same logic or source as those saying basic insurance though a private carrier will cost drivers more than ICBC without even having the ability to get a comparative quote?

Return to “B.C.”