ICBC

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Getting rid of ICBC!

Post by GordonH »

Please show me 1 private insurance company that doesn't try to payout as littles they can on claims, that right zero will be found.
All insurance companies private or public do the exact same thing when comes to claims, with big smile meanwhile screw the customer.

Now I'm not pro private or public, its just common practise by all.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
james-d
Banned

Post by james-d »

The difference is you can sue a private insurance company. You can also sue ICBC but you will most likely die of old age before you win, there are so many cases before the courts it will take years to clear them and they just keep piling up because there is to much money to be made from this cash cow, Why do you think the commie ndp brought it in. It is the one govt. owned part that makes money And who do you think they make it from,? the tooth fairy??
TazzTheCat
Fledgling

Post by TazzTheCat »

james-d wrote:The difference is you can sue a private insurance company. You can also sue ICBC but you will most likely die of old age before you win, there are so many cases before the courts it will take years to clear them and they just keep piling up because there is to much money to be made from this cash cow, Why do you think the commie ndp brought it in. It is the one govt. owned part that makes money And who do you think they make it from,? the tooth fairy??

Again James...show us some stats? Commies? Wth? Where do you think you live man??????
The floggings will continue, until morale improves.
The Rooster
Fledgling

Post by The Rooster »

james-d wrote:The difference is you can sue a private insurance company. You can also sue ICBC but you will most likely die of old age before you win, there are so many cases before the courts it will take years to clear them and they just keep piling up because there is to much money to be made from this cash cow, Why do you think the commie ndp brought it in. It is the one govt. owned part that makes money And who do you think they make it from,? the tooth fairy??

ICBC = I- Can- BS -Car accident victims

You have an accident , not your fault , you go to the hospital that is underfunded and understaffed because of the government . They do just basic tests if your lucky . After hours you , if lucky go home . Unlucky ,you stay , then home later. You go see your doctor , if you have one . Then you call ICBC to start a file about your claim . First words out of their mouths "Can you make a verbal statement so that I can start your file ?" first question , " we're you injured?" , second question " tell me all our injuries"
OH AND YOU DO NOT NEED A LAWYER . This is your biggest problem . Your next largest hurdle is when they tell you that they will not exspidite any testing , and you have to pay out of your own pocket and they MAY reimburse you .Try getting an MRI in this province , by the time you get the results , ICBC is telling you that its been too long since the accident and they can't prove that it was accident related . Now you get a lawyer .now ICBC won't reimburse you , won't even talk to you and everyone wants money for letters that they supplied you and money for talking to your lawyer .

Next thingyou know , the therapy you were getting is cancelled with no warning or they tell you some BS about "you've used up your visits"

Your only fault was that "YOU WERE IN A CAR ACCIDENT , AND IT WASN'T EVEN OUR FAULT"

Now time has gone by , and testing still needs to be completed and your family doctor is getting more and more *bleep* off with lawyers and adjusters calling for information that they already have . Then you get more results stating that too much time has gone by to accurately state whether the injuries were caused y the accident .

Now ICBC has you . They offer to settle , and it's crap . They know that some doctors have moved away , some won't help you and they think that they have you by the beans . And that is why you HIRE A FREAKING LAWYER,!!!!

When the company that you buy your insurance from is funded by the same government that funds your healthcare , doctors and nurses, you immediately start out handicapped . When the very government that owns the insurance company is stealing $3/4 Billion every year from said insurance company . Who do you think they will help more? You ? Or the massive machine that they've created which employs 5200 people ? 5200 are just ICBC employees , that doesn't include the healthcare employees.

Even with a lawyer you are gonna go thru hell , without one you're ten times as screwed . It's kinda like the last election , do you go with the devil you know or the one you don't , when really you wish that none of it ever happened .

Always hire a lawyer if you have had even a small accident .
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Only people who would back up ICBC are those people who don't qualify for better rates through private insurance.ICBC is there for the gov.Why do you think starving provincial governments periodically kick around the idea of public insurance? Ya think it's for youe benefit.lol
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Independent studies by Statistics Canada and the Consumers Association of Canada have shown public auto insurance gives the best value to customers. Since ICBC was established on March 1, 1974, British Columbians have enjoyed reduced insurance fraud, safer roads and lower rates

http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/opin ... 43366.html
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

If you have a good record and shop around you can easily pay 40% less.Been there done that several times.
melscarandtruckrental
Fledgling

Post by melscarandtruckrental »

If You don't think ICBC has too much power just show me one private insurance company that has control over your drivers license. Or that can prevent you from driving any vehicle insured by them by refusing to issue a BC drivers license which believe me they can
Better to keep your mouth shut and have people think your an idiot than open it and confirm it !!!
melscarandtruckrental
Fledgling

Post by melscarandtruckrental »

GenuinelyInterested wrote:The biggest difference is that ICBC must accept all drivers and spread the risk over all others. In other provinces, insurance companies have the OPTION of accepting or denying any driver for any reason. IF they choose to accept that driver, they have the option of placing any surcharge they want on that driver.

What planet is this guy from??
Better to keep your mouth shut and have people think your an idiot than open it and confirm it !!!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

melscarandtruckrental wrote:What planet is this guy from??

He's correct. ICBC is mandated to insure anybody - no matter how bad your history is. They'll charge you up the wazoo for it, but they'll insure you. In Ontario if your driving history is bad enough, they'll simply refuse your business - you're a liability at that point.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
delSol97
Board Meister

Post by delSol97 »

They will also refuse to insure certain vehicles regardless of your personal driving history if they find they are too expensive to repair.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

ICBC, BCLC, Canada post are also great places for cushy patronage jobs.On our dime.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

james-d wrote:To dudlee the commie ndp brought in govt insurance in BC in 1973 or it may have been 75 it assures a lot of cashflow so the commies can use that money to help pay for it's screw-ups. It is ICBCs mandate to fight tooth and nail to not pay out claims. When someone tries to get rid of ICBC watch the commies start to scream they are Selling off more govt owned stuff!!!!! We need private insurance companies back into BC. If ICBC can compete with them fine, But I don't think a govt ,Union run outfit can compete so they would certainly be history. then we would have a level playing field for all to CHOOSE from.

Your comments about commies make you sound like a fool who's pining for the cold war but they add nothing to the discussion.

Try backing up the things you say with some actual facts, if you have any, instead of regurgitating more old-school rhetoric like a silly old man.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

[color=#FFBF40]
Your comments about commies make you sound like a fool who's pining for the cold war but they add nothing to the discussion.

Try backing up the things you say with some actual facts, if you have any, instead of regurgitating more old-school rhetoric like a silly old man.[/quote][/color
]

I have to agree! Sounds like something one may of heard in the McCarthy Era...lol
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/story/2013/05/29/wdr-ontario-insurance-rates-rise-despite-promised-cut.html
Ontario car insurance rises despite promised cut, says NDP

Car insurance rates should have little to do with politics and a great more to do with profit/loss statements and risk. I insure cars and motorcycles here in BC. Driving conditions in BC raise the risk, but I am always amazed that the rates that I pay for comparable coverage are always lower here in BC than what my friends and relatives pay in Ontario, Quebec, and Nova Scotia. However, like every insurance company I have ever dealt with, ICBC pays out the least amount possible, and always only after a fight.

What I find troubling is the constant BC government meddling with the "books" of ICBC. However, if you read the story government meddling with insurance "rates" seem to be Canada wide.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill

Return to “B.C.”