Government not doing its job

masen
Fledgling

Government not doing its job

Post by masen »

The daily phone calls from the people asking for money to help the sick, disabled, needy is increasing . The governments[s] are downloading it all on British Columbians. They are not doing what they were paid and are paid to do at all. Medicare was supposed to take care of a lot of this. We probably should ditch the government completely. They mostly back the big corporations, that's all they are good for. They have privatized almost all our resources, how did that help us? Now they are squeezing every last nickel out of us. Being harassed now with phone calls from businesses, charities wanting the rest of our money. A general strike is needed to solve this, maybe town hall meetings every month to solve all of these problems. The government isn't solving one of them and they don't plan to as long as we pay our taxes. Maybe the people have some good ideas, I have heard of some good cures for cancer, but certainly the pharmaceutical sp. companies would poison us before we got near to getting a letter printed in the paper. We deserve everything we get as we all are asleep waiting for the slaughter.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Government not doing its job

Post by John500 »

Actually an interesting post. Nowadays anything you like to participate in has a fee. The fee being a donation to some good cause. I have heard "no donation you cannot participate". Every time I go to Super Store, Extra Foods, Wallmart and other stores I am asked if I want to donate a dollar, sometimes 2 to another cause. It bugs me. CAr dealers to "get you in" with burgers and hotdogs also have gone the donation route. I live on a tight budget, can no longer participate in some events as I cannot afford to keep on donating. Then you hear that from donations to the Cancer Society only 35% goes to actual research and the rest to maintain the organization from CEO salaries beyond $250000 a year to a very glossy magazine. And there are more. Value Village is listed on the stock exchange. What kind of a charitable organization is that? It all, imho, is out of whack nowadays. Its not that I dont mind donating. But I like to decide who too and dont want to be asked all the time. And poor cashiers, they have to ask.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Masen, are you willing to stick your hand up for a big tax increase so the government can take care of these alleged problems? Or are you promoting governments go further into debt?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

John500 wrote:Actually an interesting post. Nowadays anything you like to participate in has a fee. The fee being a donation to some good cause. I have heard "no donation you cannot participate". Every time I go to Super Store, Extra Foods, Wallmart and other stores I am asked if I want to donate a dollar, sometimes 2 to another cause. It bugs me. CAr dealers to "get you in" with burgers and hotdogs also have gone the donation route. I live on a tight budget, can no longer participate in some events as I cannot afford to keep on donating. Then you hear that from donations to the Cancer Society only 35% goes to actual research and the rest to maintain the organization from CEO salaries beyond $250000 a year to a very glossy magazine. And there are more. Value Village is listed on the stock exchange. What kind of a charitable organization is that? It all, imho, is out of whack nowadays. Its not that I dont mind donating. But I like to decide who too and dont want to be asked all the time. And poor cashiers, they have to ask.

Canadian Cancer Society ? Try, less than 22% towards research in 2011.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Nebula wrote:Masen, are you willing to stick your hand up for a big tax increase so the government can take care of these alleged problems? Or are you promoting governments go further into debt?

Perhaps Masen is suggesting the government use our tax dollars a bit more responsibly, like getting rid of things like the huge, multi-billion dollar deals they have and are still making re: IPPs, and pare down on the number of 'advisors', fluff filllers (Pamela Martin types), friends and remove a whole huge wedge of administrivia and bureaucrats not only in the Vic but Health Authorities, BC Hydro 'managers' and government appointed 'boards'. And conduct themselves with a bit of intelligence so things like Basi-Virk, BOSS, etc do not continue to steal our tax dollars. Through their stupid blundering!
Chill
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Subject: Little Johnny

The kids filed back into class Monday morning. They were very excited.Their weekend assignment was to sell something, then give a talk on productive salesmanship.

Little Sally led off: "I sold girl scout cookies and I made $30," she said proudly, "My sales approach was to appeal to the customer's civil spirit and I credit that approach for my obvious success." "Very good," said the teacher.

Little Jenny was next: "I sold magazines," she said, "I made $45 and I explained to everyone that magazines would keep them up on current events." "Very good, Jenny," said the teacher.

Eventually, it was Little Johnny's turn. The teacher held her breath...

Little Johnny walked to the front of the classroom and dumped a box full of cash on the teacher's desk. "$2,467" he said.
"$2,467!" cried the teacher, "What in the world were you selling?" "Toothbrushes," said Little Johnny.

"Toothbrushes!" echoed the teacher, "How could you possibly sell enough tooth brushes to make that much money?"

"I found the busiest corner in town," said Little Johnny, "I set up a Chip & Dip stand and gave everybody who walked by a free sample. They all said the same thing, "Hey, this tastes like dog *bleep*!"

Then I would say, "It is dog *bleep*. Wanna buy a toothbrush? I used the BC Liberal government approach of giving you something *bleep* for free, and then making you pay to get the taste out of your mouth."
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Yes, yes, Steven. If little Johnny had been NDP, he would have demanded taxpayers pay for the toothbrushes. He still would have been serving dog sh**.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

:129: I wouldn't know Neb. I'm not making excuses for them either.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

If the NDP were in power, Little Johnny would be stuck with a union, and would have been forced to hire 4 union workers: one to sell the chips, one to sell the dip, one to hand out toothbrushes, and one to run the cash register.

They would have only worked 7.25 hour shifts, with two fifteen minute coffee breaks and one hour for lunch. As this was the weekend, the Saturday would be at time and one half, the Sunday at double time. WCB would be called in by a disgruntled, lazy union employee, and a stop work order would have been placed on the operation for half of Sunday, as the apple boxes they were sitting on couldn't be used until an engineer could certify their safe use.

After Little Johnny tallied up his expenses, he found that he lost his *bleep* on the venture. His only option was to relocate his business to Alberta, where he was free to hire productive, non-union workers, and pay taxes at a rate that left him enough capital to open a chain of chip dip toothbrush stands across the province. Litte Johnny retired at 50 a rich man, selling his chain of stands that now employ 300 well-paid workers in Alberta.

The End.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Rwede wrote:If the NDP were in power, Little Johnny would be stuck with a union, and would have been forced to hire 4 union workers: one to sell the chips, one to sell the dip, one to hand out toothbrushes, and one to run the cash register.

They would have only worked 7.25 hour shifts, with two fifteen minute coffee breaks and one hour for lunch. As this was the weekend, the Saturday would be at time and one half, the Sunday at double time. WCB would be called in by a disgruntled, lazy union employee, and a stop work order would have been placed on the operation for half of Sunday, as the apple boxes they were sitting on couldn't be used until an engineer could certify their safe use.

After Little Johnny tallied up his expenses, he found that he lost his *bleep* on the venture. His only option was to relocate his business to Alberta, where he was free to hire productive, non-union workers, and pay taxes at a rate that left him enough capital to open a chain of chip dip toothbrush stands across the province. Litte Johnny retired at 50 a rich man, selling his chain of stands that now employ 300 well-paid workers in Alberta.

The End.

What aload. Forced to hire workers? Oh my God!?!? People working? What about maintaining high unemployment in the Okanagan? March 2012 numbers for Vernon were 15.4%.
Out sourcing to Alberta? Since when? Last I lookd most of our manufacturing jobs went to Mexico or China.
You still have no explained to me why you think the BCLiberals are so much more capable than the NDP were despite squandering the budget surplus the BC NDP left to the BCLiberals in 2001 (verified by the BCLiberals own auditor) while making record cuts to spending AND still managing to run record deficits. We won't even get into all the hospitals, schools, court houses and essential social serives that have been cut.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Weel now...that IS logical! :dyinglaughing:
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Nebula wrote:Masen, are you willing to stick your hand up for a big tax increase so the government can take care of these alleged problems? Or are you promoting governments go further into debt?

I think the point is stop *bleep* our hard earned money down the drain.

Return to “B.C.”