Pensions for MLAs come under fire

butcher99
Guru

Re: Pensions for MLAs come under fire

Post by butcher99 »

Smurf wrote:The topic is about MLA pensions so that is what I meant by pensions.

Not right? I do not think the current contribution rates are right. I do not believe the length of employment time to get a pension is right. I definately do not agree with the size of the pensions they get after a short term in office. I just do not think their pensions are right. I do believe they deserve a pension for doing the thankless job they are doing. Just not the ones they are currently getting.

I will say that many of us on here,given the opportunity to set our own salaries, pensions etc. would probably get sucked into the same thing. We might not think so now but given the opportunity it would happen in many cases. I believe given the opportunity most of us would accept same. And again towing the the party line comes into play. But it does not make it right. I think that the fact that the NDP actually did make changes for the good speaks for itself. The fact the liberals changed it back also says a lot.

MY biggest problem with the pensions the liberals gave themselves is that they made it retroactive to when the NDP had changed it to a $1. contribution from them gave a $1. matching RRSP from the governement. That is a pretty standard pension arrangement in a lot of companies. The Liberals reinstated the old goldplated pension plan and made it retroactive to when the NDP changed it to the RRSP plan with a buy in clause. Therefor to get all the back pension for the years the NDP plan was in place, they put in $1. for every $4. you and I contributed for them. If they took the money out of the RRSP plan that was paid for under the NDP they would put in $.50 for every $4. we had to pay.
I think the pensions are a little too cushy considering what they are trying to ram down the government employees throats but that aside, that was the real crime in this legislation
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Smurf wrote: I think that the fact that the NDP actually did make changes for the good speaks for itself. The fact the liberals changed it back also says a lot.

I think the fact that the NDP voted against the plan, and were given a chance to opt out of it but took it anyway, speaks far more loudly than anything else. Total hypocrites who refuse to put their money where their mouth is. They suckered a few slow-witted people into thinking that they were opposed to the plan, but anyone with half a brain can see their action in cashing in anyway reveals their true position on the pension plan. Vile scumbags, IMO!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Fisher-Dude wrote:
I think the fact that the NDP voted against the plan, and were given a chance to opt out of it but took it anyway, speaks far more loudly than anything else. Total hypocrites who refuse to put their money where their mouth is. They suckered a few slow-witted people into thinking that they were opposed to the plan, but anyone with half a brain can see their action in cashing in anyway reveals their true position on the pension plan. Vile scumbags, IMO!

No they did put their money where there mouth is. They got rid of the gold plated plan and put in more of a standard plan that the average worker would get. The liberals came back in and put back in the gold plated plan that is nothing more than a cash grab, including provisions to get back all that was lost in the years it was not available. And they did the catch up out of your pocket, and mine.
The plan is available so they took it. That does not make them scumbags. It really would be rather stupid to not take it wouldn't it. The VILE SCUMBAGS as you put it, are the ones who put back in place the plan that makes them financially secure for life out of our pockets while at the same time demanding that others cut back their expectations.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

^^^ Wrong. The NDP voted against the plan amendments, were given the chance to opt out, but they didn't. Sure, vote against it and then they don't have the balls to follow through with their opposition to it. I agree with Fd, the NDP are the vile scumbags in this instance, no doubt about it.

At least the Libs were consistant pigs at the trough, whereas the NDP tried to mislead voters (it worked on a few here, that's obvious) by saying no way but give me the money anyway. That's snake belly low, and reeks of deception. Typical of a leftist, though.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
butcher99
Guru

Post by butcher99 »

Rwede wrote:^^^ Wrong. The NDP voted against the plan amendments, were given the chance to opt out, but they didn't. Sure, vote against it and then they don't have the balls to follow through with their opposition to it. I agree with Fd, the NDP are the vile scumbags in this instance, no doubt about it.

At least the Libs were consistant pigs at the trough, whereas the NDP tried to mislead voters (it worked on a few here, that's obvious) by saying no way but give me the money anyway. That's snake belly low, and reeks of deception. Typical of a leftist, though.

No, sorry not wrong. Of course they voted against it. They were not the pigs filling the trough themselves. They would have been stupid to not sign up once it was in place. We will see if they reinstate the more equitable plan when they get back in power next year.
What would you have done? You would have done what any reasonable person would do. You would sign up for the best plan available. Does that make you a vile scumbag?
The liberals just threw that, "you can still have the old one" option in there just for people like you who always look for something to blame the NDP for.

The NDP were not the ones running their entire campaign over removing excess from government. That would be the Pigs at a Trough Liberal party of BC.

Return to “B.C.”