Do cop car cameras violate privacy?

Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Do cop car cameras violate privacy?

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

Give this a read...
http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#78585

"Vonn said she fears police could use it to easily gather information, for example, about who is attending public protests by driving through a parking lot scanning and retaining the licence plates of those thought to be attending."

I've got news for ya Elizabeth Denham this happens all the time with or with out the scanners, thats whay cars have LP's....so they can be identified. These scanners are a useful tool that what the human eye can do...view something that is open to the plain sight...a lic plate!

Sometimes I wonder why our tax dollars fund such hog wash!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Do cop car cameras violate privacy?

Post by grammafreddy »

Between the Privacy Commissioner and the Civil Liberty nut jobs, there isn't much for brains. But I spose they have to justify their jobs with something to whine, *bleep*, snivel, gripe and complain about.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
OvalTrackRacing

Post by OvalTrackRacing »

Is there a law regarding Myself being allowed to film a police officer while he pulls me over or comes to my house. I would love to see the expression on that cops face with a video camera being pointed right at him during a traffic stop.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Who pays these peoples' salaries? I wish there was a check box on my tax return that would allow me to specify that none of my tax dollars could be used to pay salaries and operating expenses for useless people like the privacy commissioner and their staff, and also the BC Civil Liberties Assoc. It seems like all these people want to do is make it easier and easier for criminals to escape justice. If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to fear from a dashboard cam. In fact, if a police officer acts inappropriately, it's all caught on tape, so it can actually be good for losers and cop haters.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

We seem to be so concerned about privacy,........and then there is facebook......
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

techrtr wrote:Who pays these peoples' salaries? I wish there was a check box on my tax return that would allow me to specify that none of my tax dollars could be used to pay salaries and operating expenses for useless people like the privacy commissioner and their staff, and also the BC Civil Liberties Assoc. It seems like all these people want to do is make it easier and easier for criminals to escape justice. If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to fear from a dashboard cam. In fact, if a police officer acts inappropriately, it's all caught on tape, so it can actually be good for losers and cop haters.

They are all only useless until you need them and without them you would not enjoy the freedom, the privacy and the liberties you have.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I am 100% in favor of them. The more ground an officer can cover efficiently while on duty the better it is for us all. I have also seen people on here state a number of times they wish the officer had a camera so what was said and done was recorded. In the end it brings out the truth be it good or bad for those concerned.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Smurf wrote:I am 100% in favor of them. The more ground an officer can cover efficiently while on duty the better it is for us all. I have also seen people on here state a number of times they wish the officer had a camera so what was said and done was recorded. In the end it brings out the truth be it good or bad for those concerned.

:smt023

The more evidence Police can collect the better, since every Tom, Dick, Jane & Sally have cellphones with one or both camera & video privacy is maybe thing in past. Except behind your own closed doors (unless your upload crap on internet).

So maybe it would be good thing to think twice before doing something really stupid/foolish in public.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Agreed. The camera can't see anything the human eye can't see. Cell phones are probably a lot more of an invasion of privacy because they are everywhere and you have no idea what they are taking pictures of. But then again if you don't want it seen or recorded don't do it. Be really careful what you are doing in your own home when you answer face time. :sunshine:
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

I guess I'm the only one so far who agrees with both the privacy commissioner and BCCLA. You call it tripe Trunk but you are complicit by just following orders.

Why, after so many battles civilly and millions of lives lost to defend freedom from the state, do people acquiesce their rights and publicly bash those that defend you. BCCLA is not govt funded, they are volunteers that depend on donations to defend your rights. I for one am thankful they take up causes that apparently the rest of you don't have time for or understand what defending freedom actually entails.

This technology is like fishing , let's see what we can drag up.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I would rather be filmed by a cop car camera than anything else at a traffic stop..

I think it's good for both parties...depending who controls the "evidence" that is..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Police cameras should only be allowed to capture crooked, violent police officers. Under no circumstances shall the cameras be used to catch anyone else - otherwise it violates their rights.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

WhatThe wrote:I guess I'm the only one so far who agrees with both the privacy commissioner and BCCLA. You call it tripe Trunk but you are complicit by just following orders.

Why, after so many battles civilly and millions of lives lost to defend freedom from the state, do people acquiesce their rights and publicly bash those that defend you. BCCLA is not govt funded, they are volunteers that depend on donations to defend your rights. I for one am thankful they take up causes that apparently the rest of you don't have time for or understand what defending freedom actually entails.

This technology is like fishing , let's see what we can drag up.

Well, say what they may about BCCLA, but this particular case is a bit ridiculous.

"We want the police less efficient."

Alright then.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Lets see if we can tie their hands some more and then we can complain about them doing nothing. Makes sense to me, NOT.

twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

I can see both sides of the debate. On the one hand I say good if something so simple can help get the criminal off the street. On the other hand, something so simple coupled with some software could in a very short time build a database on the movements of everyone. Something about that makes me very uncomfortable even as a law abiding citizen. Have we truly arrived in an Orwellian world? Our prefered vendors and preferred products have been tracked for years now with credit/debit cards. Now the blanks can be filled in about where we are between purchases.
Anyone familiar with the TV show "Person of Interest"? Maybe not so far fetched.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “B.C.”