Say NO to pitbull ban

OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Say NO to pitbull ban

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

just for the record there is a difference between stupid and ignorant.
Ignorant can be fixed - where there is a will, there is a way...
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

juz516 wrote:Excuse me???? You are calling me a liar? It did not happen just one time...and I also had people think my old boxer was a pitbull.....so yes, there are stupid people out there....but definitely not just in my area!!! Just for the record, I do not BS nor run off at the mouth like some on here. What I am saying is......the average person does NOT know one breed from another unless it is obvious. Good lord....are you for real? You would trust the "trained authorities"??? And that would be who in Kelowna? You? The esteemed RDCO dog control? IMO, Cesar Milan would be considered a "trained authority" and yet it seems as though people on this thread have "poo pooed" his beliefs as well as his training methods. That, too, is up to the individual on who they would consider a "trained authority". So.....an agreement to do with this discussion is hooped, big time. No one will ever agree on anything.....and I don't see anyone actually trying to come to some conclusions,.....just mudslinging and right fighters....and anyone that compares owning a dog to walking an alligator....well, enough said. LOLOLOL

See my comparison of dog and alligator isnt so far off, check the history on alligators here, they were being sold in pet stores,,,

My point was if something new showed up that was scary for the average person we would have to give it special attention too. You can make my point look as you wish, kinda like the one who thought your pug was a poodle :dyinglaughing: sorry, had ta do that...

Anyway, about the shar pei thing,,, possibly someone thought it was a pit bull but they are two totally different dogs, hair and looks, ears and such so if someone claimed it was a pit bull they are pretty stupid. Just tell them to go home and look up shar pei and then tell them they need glasses... They should feel pretty stupid and will probably go look it up.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
JayPeeWhy
Board Meister

Re: Re : Fear Pitbulls? Poll ...

Post by JayPeeWhy »

But aren't you comparing the 13 Pitbull bites to an entire group of dogs?

In your example you are comparing the 16 bites of the sporting group to the 13 Pitbull bites. The issue is that the sporting group has around 30 breeds in it.

So you are effectively saying that the Pitbull breed has around as many bites as all 30 breeds in the sporting group. Or have I miscalculated?

Doesn't sound that good for the Pitbull.

janalta wrote:Calgary Sun 2010

Bites as per breed group

1. Terriers (pitbulls account for half of total terrier bites) - 26 bites
2. Working dogs (includes Rottweilers and mastiffs) - 22 bites
3. Herding dogs (includes shepherds) - 17 bites
4. Sporting dogs (includes retrievers) - 16 bites
5. Non-sporting - 14 bites
6. Toys - 5 bites
7. Hounds - 2 bites

Note - Pit Bulls registered in Calgary make up HALF of the terrier group's recorded bites....therefore those who take these numbers to claim that Pits have the highest bite rate in Calgary are WRONG. The terrier group is a very large group of dogs....but it makes for better anti-pit drama to state that Pits bite more than any other dog, despite Calgary's dog bylaws.
The correct number would be:
Pit Bulls - 13 bites....less than the sporting breeds...the good old labs and retrievers. Less than all other groups with the exception of toys and hounds.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Exactly my point Jaypeewhy

You cant have a real true stats unless they are all separated by breed, severity and such,,, why even have toy dogs in this list,,, a nip on the toe compares None to most of the other bites here, especially the bully breed bites that cause damages. This is a simple stats on bites alone and gives only a short visual of bite numbers, no attack style injuries or anything to show the difference even between the bite of a terrior to a toy pom for example,,,
I have seen a toy pom growl and if not understood it left a skin scrape, good lord, thats hardly a bite but it made this list so this list has nothing to do with pit bulls or shepards or rottis except that the pit dogs bit 13 times which does look like more then the rest if the list was properly sorted as the pit part was.
If this was my fight for the pit dogs this list would not be a part of my ammunition, its a joke. It proves nothing of how Calgary has changed anything except if they believe the pit bull's bite has come down to a pom size bite because of their plan and thats not believable.

I wonder how many breeds would be in the non sporting list...
Also lets look at the working dogs,,, includes rottis, and mastiffs,,, (and labs and Shepards and ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, this list could be huge!)
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

Anyway, about the shar pei thing,,, possibly someone thought it was a pit bull but they are two totally different dogs, hair and looks, ears and such so if someone claimed it was a pit bull they are pretty stupid. Just tell them to go home and look up shar pei and then tell them they need glasses... They should feel pretty stupid and will probably go look it up.

I know that, have owned 3 over the years.....and maybe you know that....and do you honestly think I wouldn't say something?? But there are an awful lot of people who do not know one breed from another and don't care to know....you may know that there are 20+ breeds to get your particular dog....but who would honestly know that to look at it?
Actually, you are jumping on the wrong person here....I can actually understand SOME people being afraid, I do know my dog breeds and, although I am not a breeder and would never be one (backyard or otherwise) I am a dog lover and am interested enough to find out and read. I have met many pits and never had an issue with them, but I respect ALL dogs' space and never approach a strange dog of ANY breed without permission. The ones I have met have been wonderful, trained and respectful dogs. The nastiest dogs I ever met were Rotti, border collie, shepherd and chihuahua(true cause we owned her when I was about 10 and she chased and bit every chance she got!) Point being....in my own experience, I take each and every dog as I would a human....if they are a**ses I have nothing to do with them. So, if you are trying to convince me or if you think you can browbeat me, or dazzle me with your knowledge, you are "barking" up the wrong tree.
Maybe it would be a good idea to start at grass roots and stop backyard breeding so less dogs fall into the wrong hands??
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

Roadster wrote:

Second thought, that's not really a very nice way to treat people, might be better just to leave them in their ignorance than trying to bully them into getting glasses and feeling stupid...
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

How right you are!!! I am not rude and do understand that some people are afraid of dogs...and I respect that. Mind you, I could get rude with some people in this discussion! :ohmygod:
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

STOP! Refuse to bring yourself down to that level. You have that choice.
Words can hurt. So can wild dogs.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

I am not about to lower myself but I don't appreciate being talked to as if I am ignorant and/or stupid......"wild dogs"????? I thought this discussion was about a breed ban.....pardon me...I don't know anything much about "wild dogs". Guess I am on the wrong thread here. :200:
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Roadster wrote:I wonder how many breeds would be in the non sporting list...
Also lets look at the working dogs,,, includes rottis, and mastiffs,,, (and labs and Shepards and ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, this list could be huge!)

To answer your question and help people differentiate between groupings ... 22 breeds are classified as non-sporting and 34 breeds are classified as working dogs per CKC guidelines. Shepherds and Labs aren't in either ... Labs are in the sporting group, Shepherds are in the herding group, and your dog is in the same group as Rottis and Mastiffs.

Non-sporting group - 22 breeds
American Eskimo Dog (Miniature), American Eskimo Dog (Standard), Bichon Frise, Boston Terrier, Bulldog, Chinese Shar-Pei, Chow Chow, Dalmatian, French Bulldog, German Pinscher, Japanese Spitz, Keeshond, Lhasa Apso, Lowchen, Poodle (Miniature), Poodle (Standard), Schipperke, Shiba Inu, Shih Tzu, Tibetan Spaniel, Tibetan Terrier, Xoloitzcuintli (Miniature)

Working Group - 34 breeds
Akita, Alaskan Malamute, Anatolian Shepherd Dog, Bernese Mountain Dog, Black Russian Terrier, Boxer, Bullmastiff, Canaan Dog, Canadian Eskimo Dog, Cane Corso, Doberman Pinscher, Dogue De Bordeaux, Entlebucher Mountain Dog, Eurasier, Great Dane, Great Pyrenees, Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, Greenland Dog, Hovawart, Karelian Bear Dog, Komondor, Kuvasz, Leonberger, Mastiff, Neapolitan Mastiff, Newfoundland, Portuguese Water Dog, Rottweiler, Samoyed, Schnauzer (Giant), Schnauzer (Standard), Siberian Husky, St. Bernard, Tibetan Mastiff
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

So where do the pitbulls and/or "bully" "fighting" breeds come in on the list? That is great to know....but would like to know the other lists as well. Thank you.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Terrier dog group (CKC guidelines)
Airedale Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Australian Terrier, Bedlington Terrier, Border Terrier, Bull Terrier, Bull Terrier (Miniature), Cairn Terrier, Cesky Terrier, Dandie Dinmont Terrier, Fox Terrier (Smooth), Fox Terrier (Wire), Glen Of Imaal Terrier, Irish Terrier, Kerry Blue Terrier, Lakeland Terrier, Manchester Terrier, Norfolk Terrier, Norwich Terrier, Parson Russell Terrier, Schnauzer (Miniature), Scottish Terrier, Sealyham Terrier, Skye Terrier, Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Welsh Terrier, West Highland White Terrier

The AKC and UKC recognizes the American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) but the CKC doesn't as of yet.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

Thank you. Go figure, cause it took a long time for the CKC to recognize the Shar Pei as well when the first ones came into Canada. They said they were "altered" because some had to have their eyes tacked....lol
janalta
Übergod

Re: Re : Fear Pitbulls? Poll ...

Post by janalta »

JayPeeWhy wrote:But aren't you comparing the 13 Pitbull bites to an entire group of dogs?

In your example you are comparing the 16 bites of the sporting group to the 13 Pitbull bites. The issue is that the sporting group has around 30 breeds in it.

So you are effectively saying that the Pitbull breed has around as many bites as all 30 breeds in the sporting group. Or have I miscalculated?

Doesn't sound that good for the Pitbull.

The numbers were being used by the anti-Pit crowd to try to suggest that Pits were responsible for more bites than any other group of dog simply because Terriers were number one at 26 reports.

It's pretty safe to say that the bites attributed to the other groups are limited in their overall breakdown....meaning that Rotties top the working breeds and Shepherds top the Herding breeds ( both well documented to be high on the severe bite lists ).
Therefore, it really is not comparing Pits to 30 breeds.
Does that make more sense?
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

oneh2obabe wrote:To answer your question and help people differentiate between groupings ... 22 breeds are classified as non-sporting and 34 breeds are classified as working dogs per CKC guidelines. Shepherds and Labs aren't in either ... Labs are in the sporting group, Shepherds are in the herding group, and your dog is in the same group as Rottis and Mastiffs.

Non-sporting group - 22 breeds
American Eskimo Dog (Miniature), American Eskimo Dog (Standard), Bichon Frise, Boston Terrier, Bulldog, Chinese Shar-Pei, Chow Chow, Dalmatian, French Bulldog, German Pinscher, Japanese Spitz, Keeshond, Lhasa Apso, Lowchen, Poodle (Miniature), Poodle (Standard), Schipperke, Shiba Inu, Shih Tzu, Tibetan Spaniel, Tibetan Terrier, Xoloitzcuintli (Miniature)

Working Group - 34 breeds
Akita, Alaskan Malamute, Anatolian Shepherd Dog, Bernese Mountain Dog, Black Russian Terrier, Boxer, Bullmastiff, Canaan Dog, Canadian Eskimo Dog, Cane Corso, Doberman Pinscher, Dogue De Bordeaux, Entlebucher Mountain Dog, Eurasier, Great Dane, Great Pyrenees, Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, Greenland Dog, Hovawart, Karelian Bear Dog, Komondor, Kuvasz, Leonberger, Mastiff, Neapolitan Mastiff, Newfoundland, Portuguese Water Dog, Rottweiler, Samoyed, Schnauzer (Giant), Schnauzer (Standard), Siberian Husky, St. Bernard, Tibetan Mastiff

I know my dog is in the working group, I have said it many times already. She was bred as a police and war dog for the Russian army.
Also you said labs and shepards are not in either of the non sporting and working class lists,,, since I have seen labs as sight dogs I would have thought differently also shepards should be in the working class dog list since they are guard dogs, police dogs and even sight dogs. Also I believe labs are now being used as sniffers for drugs, as cop dogs, medical dogs, ie sniffers for heart and stroke patients now so ya I think they would be in the working class even if the CKC or who ever doesnt think so.

Return to “B.C.”