Say NO to pitbull ban

Roadster
Time waster at work

Re: Say NO to pitbull ban

Post by Roadster »

People here keep saying the pit needs more care and attention and thats all,,, its the people, so lets just say, if you could have a pit or a lab,,, a shark or a gold fish, an iguana or a crocadile,,, see my point? Why not choose the lesser work if you cant handle the dog that needs more?
Seems the pit is a lot of work many people cant handle so if it gets loose and the outcome is much more then a lab would do. I was bitten by a big lab, he put a few holes in the back of my leg after I stepped on his paw as a kid and it took a cleaning at the hospital but no stitches and today you cant see any scars. We were all kidding around in my house while my parents werent around with my friends dog around us and it didnt occure to us we shouldnt be jumping around him like that and I freaked him out so he bit me. I am sure had I not stepped on his paw he would never have bitten anyone and he was still welcome in my parents home with us. It was a small injury and my parents told us not to play around a dog like that anymore.
If a lab bites and its a few small punctures then I am ok with that. I owned a lab/dob cross in later years and he was a good dog all his years, had shepards and we controlled them of course just because they can bite but I swear I have yet to hear of one mauling, more a bite, even cop dogs dont rip and maul, they are trained to grab and hold which is a bite but if they were known to rip and maul to do damage they wouldnt be the choice of the police as their partners. Wouldnt be allowed by the public either.
The media does tell us more about pit attacks probably and here is why,,, its often a rip in someones face or upper body and they love that kind of print. Now if a shepard rips someones face you can be sure it will hit the news, thing is if its a bite in the back of the leg it wont hit the news cos they just dont care to show a wound of four puncture wounds, so if we say the media is over doing it with pittys then I agree and this would be why. The face is something we cant hide, ever hear someone joke he hits his wife, behind the hairline or below the collar bone? The joke is to hide the bruises. See my point? The news loves the attention it gets when a dog bites the face because everyone hates that and pits often take for the face or arms. If they were dangerous little ankle biters like other breeds which are compared in these threads they would never hit the news. No one would care and that is why shi tsus and poodles never hit the news, they dont usually do serious life altering upper damage.
A bit is a bite is a bite,,, till you gotta have multiple surguries to repair one so you arent walking with yer head down the rest of yer life.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I am absolutely in favor of a not just a pitbull ban, but a "fighting breed" ban.

I agree that in some cases the owner is the problem, but that you can't change. Fighting dogs were bred to "go off", and when they do, they cause significant damage to people and pets.

Having been bitten by various breeds (I had large paper routes when I was a kid) but not a fighting breed, most breeds don't bother me when I walk my imitation dog (mini dachshund). Fighting breeds are another matter, as I know that they are bred to cause damage, and what we see in the attack reports http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2012.php is that ALL of the dog attack adult fatalities were caused by pitbulls. 2/3 of all dog attack fatalities were caused by pitbulls, the rest are randomly spread.

Australia has gone so far as to ban the importation of all "fighting breeds".

Fighting breeds are dangerous animals, and yes an expert can walk into a cage full of tigers - but that doesn't mean that all and sundry should be allowed to own tigers.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
mrj222
Übergod

Post by mrj222 »

Can we just ban idiots instead? last week I was almost run over by an idiot with their car, I was almost hit by an idiot on a bike, almost hit in the face by an idiot kicking open a door, bit by an idiots little mutt, stepped in an idiots pile of dog crap, had my car door scratched by an idiot and when I was a kid I was almost attacked by an idiots dog.

The trend is idiots not pitbulls.
We can't stop here, this is bat country!
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

hobbyguy wrote:I am absolutely in favor of a not just a pitbull ban, but a "fighting breed" ban.

I agree that in some cases the owner is the problem, but that you can't change. Fighting dogs were bred to "go off", and when they do, they cause significant damage to people and pets.

Having been bitten by various breeds (I had large paper routes when I was a kid) but not a fighting breed, most breeds don't bother me when I walk my imitation dog (mini dachshund). Fighting breeds are another matter, as I know that they are bred to cause damage, and what we see in the attack reports http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2012.php is that ALL of the dog attack adult fatalities were caused by pitbulls. 2/3 of all dog attack fatalities were caused by pitbulls, the rest are randomly spread.

Australia has gone so far as to ban the importation of all "fighting breeds".

Fighting breeds are dangerous animals, and yes an expert can walk into a cage full of tigers - but that doesn't mean that all and sundry should be allowed to own tigers.

Well put.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I agree, well put.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
whatrukus

Post by whatrukus »

If we are banning Pitts for safer streets and prevent more deaths......why don't we ban fast food, cars, guns, tobacco, peanuts, I'm sure they all account for way more deaths than a dog, like many people have said before, banning won't work, if you ban Pitty's then another breed will become more popular and you will see more attacks by that breed, all in favor of a breed ban need to pull there head out of there *bleep*,
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

So, who is to decide what "fighting" breeds are....or what breeds are to be banned. If you want to ban all "fighting" breeds, what about the "guard dog" breeds....dobermans, shepherds etc., then the wolf crosses.....may as well go for all crossbreeds because you never know for sure what breeds are in them.....and Shar Pei's were originally bred to fight....so them too????? But then there would be the dog haters, who wouldn't want anyone to have a dog of any size because they might bark, or poop....get real, people! Do you not see what is wrong with this and where it can lead????
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Everyone thinks banning a bread means killing people's dogs. It doesnt, it means not allowing it for sale anymore in the area of the ban, those living are not usually affected, just no more selling, back yard breading and such. And to ban the pit would mean to ban all fighting dogs of that type so that even mixed breeds would not be allowed for sale. So if another breed was to become popular then maybe it would be labs again or something that is strong but doesnt have the leap and attack mode bred into them.
I can agree to no ban but only if people can agree that to own one in the city you must pay more insurance coverage, take a special handlers course, and have your home and fencings rated for it by a group set up and trained to do so. Sounds like I am being a schmuck to some yes, but what else will work? If they can leap and take the face and tear skin they should be treated with special gloves to make sure they wont.
Its only because I know of some attacked by their own dog and some who have been walking right along our area even that were attacked that they concern me. We have a family near us who looses control of their golden lab quite often, he gets on the road but has yet to bite or threaten anyone. My dog can never get out, my neighbors yaps a bit but in his house when they both leave. If they left it out I would be nuts so I am just saying dogs are dogs but some get out and do damage.
All those who love their dogs and stand by their comment that its only the "bad people",,, what are you doing to stop the ban from happening? Are you writing letters to say these other suggstions could work or do you just keep saying we should let it go because its just "bad people" who are the trouble? I would opt for the other suggestions if it were my dogs breed so I would be doing more then just admitting there are bad people.
There are bad people owning lots of breeds of dogs, dogs who are starving, dogs left to fend for themselves. We have managed to toughen the laws on that and make the fines tougher,,, so this ban thing could happen, I would be all over it to put in suggestions that might do as good or better to protect my dogs breed because until those "Bad people" are not able to own them as easily we are gonna be nervouse of the dog, just because its nature to be knowing what they can do in the wrong
hands.
A tenant of mine years ago had a rotti and he was a nice dog, IMO, but he bit her several times. She had him because living single she wanted a tough looking dog. He bit her over her own stupidity, forgetting he is big and he decides what he likes. So she let him play with other dogs and there would be a fight and she gets bit trying to pull him off. Again a bad owner but she had no training, didnt train him and she suffered one useless finger so far that I know. Six weeks out of work and luckily it was herself who suffred. That finger was torn from the knuckle to the finger nail. i took her to th hospital and they did all they could to repair it. It was deformed and will never work the same because of all th nerve damage, docto told her she was lucky that she was pulling him from where she was and didnt have the whole hand exposed, he coulda took much more. But man he was a nice looking dog, rich colours and pretty in the face and he could have been awesome with the right training and her knowing what not to do.
If I ever took a rotti or a mastif or pit I would never do it with out some heavy training. My shepard had 4 courses over 4 years and that was why I bought her. She looked tough for my store but she greated customers at the door and no one was afraid of her in the daylight, at night,,, ya she didnt let a sound go unbarked. She never needed a word, all hand signals and before I was allowed to have her they made me go through a whole training session with them to show me what she knew. They couldnt keep her anymore because they moved into a smaller house with nearly no yard. I am not saying all dogs need this but what a nice dog she was for it. i could hike in the bush with her and she would never take a turn on the trail without looking back at me and waiting or looking for me to call her back with a signal. I hiked often with a friend and his dog would run off to not be seen and come back,,,, she still wouldnt do that even tho they played well together. God I miss her,,,
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

juz516 wrote:So, who is to decide what "fighting" breeds are....or what breeds are to be banned. If you want to ban all "fighting" breeds, what about the "guard dog" breeds....dobermans, shepherds etc., then the wolf crosses.....may as well go for all crossbreeds because you never know for sure what breeds are in them.....and Shar Pei's were originally bred to fight....so them too????? But then there would be the dog haters, who wouldn't want anyone to have a dog of any size because they might bark, or poop....get real, people! Do you not see what is wrong with this and where it can lead????

A special group would have to decide by statistics, not just what breed bites but the damages a breed can inflict. That is the concern everyone has, being bit by bugs, dogs and many other things is life but suffering damages is another. Like I said I was bit by a lab but I got over it by the time the hospital staff cleaned it, no stitches, no scars, nothing and my dad coulda done that right at home but he wasnt sure. And it was my fault, not an attack. So they would have to look at all of those angles.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

I totally agree with putting in laws that effect the backyard breeding/selling....and having your yard contained and able to hold whatever type of dog you have. I also agree with the insurance thing....all to deter the "bad", "untrained", "ignorant" people from keeping any dog that is beyond their knowledge and/or means. But, I do believe that a ban WILL effect the dogs presently [b]living in this society and their families, even the "good" owners.[/b] I live on an acreage, but never, ever allow my dogs to run .... they have a large fenced area.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

juz516 wrote:I totally agree with putting in laws that effect the backyard breeding/selling....and having your yard contained and able to hold whatever type of dog you have. I also agree with the insurance thing....all to deter the "bad", "untrained", "ignorant" people from keeping any dog that is beyond their knowledge and/or means. But, I do believe that a ban WILL effect the dogs presently [b]living in this society and their families, even the "good" owners.[/b] I live on an acreage, but never, ever allow my dogs to run .... they have a large fenced area.

So if you happen to be a pit dog owner yourself then we are making head way. We all have to licence our dogs and that might make it easy to detrmine the breeds, assuming people wouldnt lie but then if someone's dog bites and turns out the owner lied he faces Huge fines for the bite because he lied to avoid these steps, and if someone doesnt licence and theirs bites they also face Huge fines, and meanwhile where it does work out we should eventually fear the dog much less knowing people are being asked to take these measures to improve the situation...
To just sit back and say its bad owners doesnt relieve our fears, nor does it fix the situation so I am all for it if people feel its better then a ban of the fighting breeds.
Also I would never ask that pit or fighting dog owners lable their yard so we know where they do live (would be nice) but a map of their existance would be good just so young moms could look at their paths to schools and such and know which way they could alternate to if they were worried. Would there be any harm in that? I do know where one is near me because my neighbor was attacked by it so I ignore it, I walk my dog on another street,,, so nice knowing but too bad my neighbor's dog had to get bit while out for his walk and suffer many life threatening neck wounds for me to know. He is ok now but he still fears the walk and it wasnt an easy recovery for him nor was it cheap. I feel like I am one up knowing he is still there but what about the street I do use? Would there be any there?
A person must know I am nowheres near after the dog type, but I do fear them,,, because of Bad owners,,, probably and the good owners suffer that.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

No, I do not own a pitbull. But I do have a shar pei, a breed that some vets have labelled as mean. Like I have said many times, many people wouldn't know a pitbull if they stepped on it, and can't tell the difference between some breeds. There has been fear mongering, no doubt about that. Not only do the dog owners have the responsibility of ensuring they have the proper yard, control, training and such....but people really do need to teach and educated themselves and especially their kids not to approach strange dogs...no matter the size and/or breed! It is called respect, but then they don't teach them to respect humans why would they teach them to respect animals?
Just out of curiosity, have you actually met the pitbull you talk about? Or any other, for that matter?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

We can keep going down the list and banning everything that hurts us but we will come to a point when we realize it was the people the entire time. Until we hold them accountable and give them the tools to make good choices we will continue down this road. There was twice as many Shepard attacks as "pitbull" attacks last year and an equal amount of Collies and Labs. Show me one that made the news?

While a pit bull is blamed in this latest Okanagan attack, the breed certainly isn't the only offender - nor the worst offender according to officials from the RDCO Dog Control branch.

There were 88 dog bites in 2011:
• 20 (23%) were from shepherd/shepherd crosses
• 10 (12%) border collie/crosses
• 10 (12%) lab/crosses
• 10 (12%) pit bull/cross dogs
• 4 (5%) with Australian shepherd/crosses
• 3 (4%) unknown breeds
• 31 (32%) from other breeds

Also, If you are going to group "pitbulls" as fighting dogs you must also acknowledge that human aggressive fighting dogs were culled. Dogs from fighting lines have less of a chance of human aggression as dogs in the general population. However, true game bred ADBA APBT's (not to be confused with AmStaffs, UKC APBT's, crosses or anything that looks like a "pitbull") are few and far between and have tossed the fighting moniker several (dog) generations ago.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

I see yer list Jenny but of all them bites how many were serious ripping and defacing of the attacked? Or were people killed? We keep grouping bites as bites, if that was the case people would be no more afraid of one breed or type. Also some bites ar out of fear for the dog, like mine where I stepped on his paw. All the same? No not at all, now if we could see a list of these bites sorted to show which ar an attack, and need restructuring, we could feel
Shepards tend to chase and push down their victim and bite them in the back, others are leg and ankle biters and will leave a puncture wound. Many leave a blood bruising which is still a bite and hurts like hell, but its not usually a reason to be off work for weeks or months or in hospital several times for repairs.
Bites are not all just bites but they are listed here as just bites.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

juz516 wrote:No, I do not own a pitbull. But I do have a shar pei, a breed that some vets have labelled as mean. Like I have said many times, many people wouldn't know a pitbull if they stepped on it, and can't tell the difference between some breeds. There has been fear mongering, no doubt about that. Not only do the dog owners have the responsibility of ensuring they have the proper yard, control, training and such....but people really do need to teach and educated themselves and especially their kids not to approach strange dogs...no matter the size and/or breed! It is called respect, but then they don't teach them to respect humans why would they teach them to respect animals?
Just out of curiosity, have you actually met the pitbull you talk about? Or any other, for that matter?

A shar pei is much different from a pit or pit type, the face is totally different unless maybe mixed with a pit and it takes on the looks of the pit more. And yes I have met a pit, and seen them from preferably a distance and met a shar pei as well and he was a bit bossy but because the owner taught him to be but was a good dog, not an attacker at all.
I honestly dont have any friends or family who own a pit and that is ok with me.

Return to “B.C.”