Say NO to pitbull ban

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Say NO To pit bull ban.

Post by Bsuds »

The dogs are fine....ban the owners of the vicious ones!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Bsuds wrote:The dogs are fine....ban the owners of the vicious ones!

Better yet, it's the owner that should be euthanized! :runforlife:
Chill
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

flamingfingers wrote:Better yet, it's the owner that should be euthanized! :runforlife:

...even if they don't have dogs.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

flamingfingers wrote:
Bsuds wrote:The dogs are fine....ban the owners of the vicious ones!

Better yet, it's the owner that should be euthanized! :runforlife:

At the least, neutered....
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Neuter and muzzle....BOTH! :dyinglaughing:
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

I'm pretty sure if the HA and other tough guy biker sorts started being associated with poodles there would soon be a bias against those, too.

That coming from a smart person like you? Noooooo.......I hope you were tongue in cheek with that one!

As you can see the dog that accounts for 5% of the bites is reported in the media over 10 times more often than a dog that accounts for 30% of bites if that isn't a clear cut bias then I don't know what is.

I believe part of that would be because of the severity of the bite or mauling that a pitbull does.....with more viciousness than many of the other breeds. Rotis, along with some other breeds, would come in a close second to that breed as has been proven in the past. You know how the news like to sensationalize.......why report about a "chihuahua" bite, when you can report a "mauling"......

The dogs are fine....ban the owners of the vicious ones!

This is a better description of the situation....but....pitbulls and the like are chosen because of their potential viciousness......dogs capable of creating "major" damage. A vicious chihuahua is almost laughable......along with the owner.

Personally I prefer the idea of people requiring licensing/registration that shows they are trained to raise and train certain breeds.

If you don't have that certificate, you don't get a rotty,pit bull,etc

Get caught with a pit bull and no certification? Heavy fines. 5K to start perhaps.
:smt023 Right on!!!
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Sounds good but remember training doesn't make you a good owner just like driver training and a licence doesn't make you a good driver. If you want a vicious type dog you will probably still have one. Knowing is not necessarily doing
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

How about this? Anyone owning a pitbull be required to demonstrate that they have either adequate insurance or sufficient assets to pay any judgement for damages up to 10 or 20 thousand dollars or more should their animal attack and injure anyone. If one of my family [child or adult] were attacked and injured by someone's pitbull, I would sue the owner in a heartbeat.... especially these jerks who don't take nearly adequate steps to ensure their animals are under control at all times; have trained their animals to be aggressive or who can not show that their animals have been successfully obedience trained. Frankly, I don't understand why there are not more cases of victims or victim's families going after the owners of the offending dogs.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Treblehook wrote:How about this? Anyone owning a pitbull be required to demonstrate that they have either adequate insurance or sufficient assets to pay any judgement for damages up to 10 or 20 thousand dollars or more should their animal attack and injure anyone.

Changes coming there as well . We have good friends who live in Kentucky and in their county they cannot purchase liability insurance anymore for their property if they own a certain breed.
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

Cool - will check it out.

Thanks!
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Or we could go with facts about what works and hold owners responsible instead of creating false hysteria. BSL does not reduce dog attacks, it just diverts to a different breed. The people are the problem here.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

The problem with banning any breed is that it will start a precedent. It will become easier for dog haters to get them banned breed by breed. If pitts are banned why not shepards, if shepards are banned why not rotties, if rotties are banned why not collies, if collies are banned why not poodles ? And how do Mutts fit in ? Ban them in case they might be related to something ?

I do not want to see us start down that very slippery slope. There are lots of laws now, if they are PROPERLY enforced, we do not need more.
Black Dogs Matter
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

jennylives wrote:Or we could go with facts about what works and hold owners responsible instead of creating false hysteria. BSL does not reduce dog attacks, it just diverts to a different breed. The people are the problem here.

Well, I agree...partly. But it is the capability of the breed that allows the attack to be more brutal or vicious. So, it is partly the problem of the breed also.
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Not a bad idea ... making it impossible to get liability insurance if you have a certain breed of dog; however that kind of legislation is a lot like banning the breed for many people. It doesn't address the issue in terms of people who are renters and or otherwise who don't bother with liability insurance anyway. If the jurisdiction dictated that in order to get a license for a pitbull [for example] the owner must provide proof of adequate liability insurance or net worth to facilitate payment of a civil suit against them should their dog injure someone, it would perhaps make people think about the type of dog they want to own and/or make them more likely to take appropriate steps to prevent attacks. No proof, no licence, no dog. If someone has an unlicenced dog it gets seized, simple as that.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

simnut wrote:I believe part of that would be because of the severity of the bite or mauling that a pitbull does.....with more viciousness than many of the other breeds. Rotis, along with some other breeds, would come in a close second to that breed as has been proven in the past. You know how the news like to sensationalize.......why report about a "chihuahua" bite, when you can report a "mauling"......

Exactly, that report doesn't list the severity of the bites. Is it a single bite, or multiple bites? Did the dog let go right away, or did it latch on? Too many variables.

Personally I prefer the idea of people requiring licensing/registration that shows they are trained to raise and train certain breeds.

If you don't have that certificate, you don't get a rotty,pit bull,etc

Get caught with a pit bull and no certification? Heavy fines. 5K to start perhaps.

This would be a great idea IMO except there's so much grey area. It can get pretty tricky to determine what exactly a dog might be a mix of, and even then where do you draw the line? 1/2? 1/4? 1/8?
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.

Return to “B.C.”