Say NO to pitbull ban

leahmorgan

Re: Say NO To pit bull ban.

Post by leahmorgan »

“WE DON’T HAVE A PET PROBLEM, WE HAVE A PEOPLE PROBLEM“. We don’t punish breeds, we punish behavior. The bottom line is, we believe all dogs are capable of biting.” “It’s not controlling pets, it’s about holding people responsible for their pets.”

-Bill Bruce, Director of Animal Services Calgary.

The City of Calgary is attracting international attention for its progressive and humane animal control policies. The Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaws are based on public education, common-sense rules and targeting known risk factors for animal misbehavior (sexually intact, roaming at large, past behavior, and most of all, irresponsible ownership). Laws are simple and straight-forward, making compliance as easy as possible, and are based around the following principles:

License and provide permanent id for your pet
Spay and neuter unless you are involved in competing or legitimate breeding
Provide training, socialization and medical care
Don’t allow your pet to become a threat or nuisance to the community
Those who disregard the law are held accountable through escalating fines and strict, thorough enforcement.

The result? The lowest bite rates and euthanasia rates in Canada, with license fees and fines bringing in a revenue stream that funds a climate controlled truck fleet, a networked animal database, and a state-of-the-art facility.

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Document ... ership.pdf

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/columnis ... 1-sun.html
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

leahmorgan wrote:“WE DON’T HAVE A PET PROBLEM, WE HAVE A PEOPLE PROBLEM“. We don’t punish breeds, we punish behavior. The bottom line is, we believe all dogs are capable of biting.” “It’s not controlling pets, it’s about holding people responsible for their pets.”

-Bill Bruce, Director of Animal Services Calgary.

The City of Calgary is attracting international attention for its progressive and humane animal control policies. The Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaws are based on public education, common-sense rules and targeting known risk factors for animal misbehavior (sexually intact, roaming at large, past behavior, and most of all, irresponsible ownership). Laws are simple and straight-forward, making compliance as easy as possible, and are based around the following principles:

License and provide permanent id for your pet
Spay and neuter unless you are involved in competing or legitimate breeding
Provide training, socialization and medical care
Don’t allow your pet to become a threat or nuisance to the community
Those who disregard the law are held accountable through escalating fines and strict, thorough enforcement.

The result? The lowest bite rates and euthanasia rates in Canada, with license fees and fines bringing in a revenue stream that funds a climate controlled truck fleet, a networked animal database, and a state-of-the-art facility.

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Document ... ership.pdf

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/columnis ... 1-sun.html
Ahh yes, known facts to be disregarded. Some more facts- breed specific legislation is being rescinded in other jurisdictions as it is not efficacious. Jurisdictions that do not have breed specific bans become dumping grounds for banned breeds.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

WhatThe wrote:Ahh yes, known facts to be disregarded. Some more facts- breed specific legislation is being rescinded in other jurisdictions as it is not efficacious. Jurisdictions that do not have breed specific bans become dumping grounds for banned breeds.

I know we don't like to "dump" on particular breeds...but let's look at WHY we "dump" on certain breeds. Certain breeds have the potential to be dangerous....not just bite....but do terrible damage. We can't deny that fact, can we? I agree we should hold owners responsible for "bad" dogs, but without those dangerous breeds...part of the problem is eliminated, hence the swing toward "banning" them. Easier way......

I like the fact that governments are leaning more toward the "control" of the owners instead of the "animal" as it covers any breed.....but the fact still remains...those potentially dangerous breeds will still be there.
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

simnut wrote:
WhatThe wrote:Ahh yes, known facts to be disregarded. Some more facts- breed specific legislation is being rescinded in other jurisdictions as it is not efficacious. Jurisdictions that do not have breed specific bans become dumping grounds for banned breeds.

I know we don't like to "dump" on particular breeds...but let's look at WHY we "dump" on certain breeds. Certain breeds have the potential to be dangerous....not just bite....but do terrible damage. We can't deny that fact, can we? I agree we should hold owners responsible for "bad" dogs, but without those dangerous breeds...part of the problem is eliminated, hence the swing toward "banning" them. Easier way......

I like the fact that governments are leaning more toward the "control" of the owners instead of the "animal" as it covers any breed.....but the fact still remains...those potentially dangerous breeds will still be there.

There's other threads on this topic where I've done the research for others, I just can't be bothered anymore. If you read a little deeper about the issue of breed specific youll find that it in fact causes results that are more costly, both monetarily and cruelty wise. I think you've misunderstood "dumping", it was a literal meaning, as in dropped off in the next jurisdiction.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

ALL breeds of dogs have the "Potential" to bite, maul, etc. Your neighbor has the "potential" to be a murderer, rapist, gang member....you name it. What do we do about this mass hysteria? Has anyone compared the number of dogs out there to the number of bites, mauls, whatever?? if you did, or could, I think you would see that the numbers just do not justify this crap going on in this society now. Maybe put in place laws that will [b]punish the humans...spay/neuter programs....stop people from "backyard breeding" without a licence to do so.[/b]...I am sure there are many ways and the Calgary method seems to be one of them. Because of the number of dog haters out there, the back yard breeders, the hysteria produced by the media, the lack of competent, trained personnel to deal with these situations and the beaurocrats sitting in their chairs ...dogs are getting the short end of the stick. Breed banning does NOT work.....and like another poster said, this is a VERY slippery slope. This society insists on safety at all costs.....but the cost is our right to choose....and every day it gets worse IMO
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

juz516 wrote:ALL breeds of dogs have the "Potential" to bite, maul, etc.

Sure, all breeds of dogs have the potential to bite, but not ALL breeds have the potential to maul. Let me ask you this...if you were walking in a dark alley....and met a strange dog coming the other way....teeth showing...would you rather it be a chihuahua or a Roti or pitbull? I know, I'm taking it from one extreme to the other, but it's done to prove a point.

Your neighbor has the "potential" to be a murderer, rapist, gang member....you name it.

Now...to continue your "comparison". If you were walking in a dark alley at night...and met a stranger walking towards you, would you rather it be a person in a business suit or a person wearing the HA colors? I'm quite sure most people would choose the "breeding" of the person in the business suit over the other "breed". Sure...a person in a business suit COULD be a thug or gang member...but chances are the one in the HA colors is more likely to be "trouble". You see what I'm getting at? As in dog breeds....people/society do have indicators as to which "breed" can cause or be trouble......or have a higher degree of being "trouble".

What do we do about this mass hysteria? Has anyone compared the number of dogs out there to the number of bites, mauls, whatever?? if you did, or could, I think you would see that the numbers just do not justify this crap going on in this society now. Maybe put in place laws that will [b]punish the humans...spay/neuter programs....stop people from "backyard breeding" without a licence to do so.[/b]...I am sure there are many ways and the Calgary method seems to be one of them. Because of the number of dog haters out there, the back yard breeders, the hysteria produced by the media, the lack of competent, trained personnel to deal with these situations and the beaurocrats sitting in their chairs ...dogs are getting the short end of the stick. Breed banning does NOT work.....and like another poster said, this is a VERY slippery slope. This society insists on safety at all costs.....but the cost is our right to choose....and every day it gets worse IMO

I agree with you whole heartily!!! I argue your points to be the devil's advocate in this case. I love dogs....ANY dog. One of my best friends is a pitbull from next door. A sweetheart!!! She plays with our dogs ALL the time...makes herself at home in our house (our dogs do the same next door). But I would not like to be a stranger coming up to their door and knocking...if no one was home.....and that is her breeding attitude....and THAT you can see in her eyes. I love her..but always admire her "potential"...her build....her jaw muscles....how solid and strong she is. And that is the "potential" that worries people....
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

jennylives wrote:Or we could go with facts about what works and hold owners responsible instead of creating false hysteria. BSL does not reduce dog attacks, it just diverts to a different breed. The people are the problem here.

Exactly: http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.co ... in-canada/

And here is another good read: http://www.ovma.org/pdf/oepnletter_bill16_may12.pdf

The breed ban has not worked in Ontario, with a higher population density, why would it work here?
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

All of the larger breeds have the potential to not only bite, but maul. And the "person in the business suit" just might be an HA member! AND many people have no clue what a pitbull looks like....they assume. I have had a shar pei and a boxer mistaken for pitbulls when out for a walk and there was the paranoia showing it's ugly face. We all have the right to make our own choices as to what pet we would like to have.....we all have the RESPONSIBILITY to ensure that our pet is well trained and taken care of....and the RESPONSIBILITY to make sure that our pet does not cause undue stress on or harm others. Some people will b**ch and complain about anything and everything, but before putting this ban in place, everyone needs to consider what will come next??? What rights will be taken away next??? And how many families and pets will be ripped apart because of the attitude of the "squeaky wheels"?
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

On a post note here....maybe the responsible owners of "family" pitbulls, rotties, etc., need to get together and put on an informative "meet and greet" to show people that they do not have to be what people are saying???? Although it might not change the attitude of the dog haters (nothing will), it just might open the dialogue and somewhat prove that it is the owners, not necessarily the dog, that is the problem?
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

juz516 wrote:All of the larger breeds have the potential to not only bite, but maul.

Yes, all larger breeds have the potential to bite, but not ALL larger breeds have the potential to maul. Certain breeds have it in them to be "aggresive" when biting...shaking...tearing....the mentality to destroy. Yup, a lab could be that...but not very likely ...right? A dachshund could be that way...but not very likely. A pitbull or roti could be that way...more likely than other breeds....because of their breeding.... Now, I fully agree it is the owners that bring this out of the dog...but it is easier to do IF the breed has it "in them". The breeding has to have it in them....that is why "tough guys" pick pitbulls, roti's etc.

And the "person in the business suit" just might be an HA member!

But not very likely.....(as in a labrador)....the one in his colors is more likely....(as in a pit bull)

AND many people have no clue what a pitbull looks like....they assume. I have had a shar pei and a boxer mistaken for pitbulls when out for a walk and there was the paranoia showing it's ugly face.

Agreed.....and a great place to start educating the general public!

We all have the right to make our own choices as to what pet we would like to have.....we all have the RESPONSIBILITY to ensure that our pet is well trained and taken care of....and the RESPONSIBILITY to make sure that our pet does not cause undue stress on or harm others.

Agreed again! Let me ask you this. Why do people choose certain breeds? Most people choose a lab because of the loving reputation these dogs have. Many people choose tea cup breeds because of their size and "cuddlyness". Some choose border collies because of their "intelligent" side. Some choose shepherds because of their protectiveness. Others will choose pit bulls as guard dogs...........roti's for the same reason....dobermans etc. Why the different breed choices? For what the reputation of the breeds bring to the owner. What I am trying to say is this. No matter how lovable your pit bull or roti is.....the breed is known for the attributes they bring.

Some people will b**ch and complain about anything and everything, but before putting this ban in place, everyone needs to consider what will come next??? What rights will be taken away next??? And how many families and pets will be ripped apart because of the attitude of the "squeaky wheels"?

Yup..what will come next? I like to compare this to the new driving laws that are coming in. BC has basically decriminalize impaired driving.....we let them do this...what is next?
juz516
Board Meister

Re: Say NO to pitbull ban

Post by juz516 »

Dogs are like humans in the fact that there are good and bad in every "breed"....as in.. not all Muslims are terrorists. Yes, I agree that some people choose a breed on their reputation, looks, smarts, whatever. There is never any accounting for human tastes in all things, be it dogs, horses, friends.... But, not ALL pitbulls, rottis, dobermans, shepherds etc., are bad dogs. Shar Pei's also have a bad wrap, but from some vets, for crying out loud...they are just not as plentiful as the other breeds. I have had 4 over the years and never, ever, had an issue. They, too, can latch on and lock their jaw. Banning any one breed is just not justifiable in my humble opinion...and no amount of discussion will change that opinion. lololol The owners need to step up and take responsibility and there are far too many that just don't care, or believe their dog would never do anything. I had a young boxer once that was so shy and sweet...and while we were travelling we met a lady that had a mini schnauzer. She thought that the two would love to play, so she opened the door of her hotel room and turned her schnauzer loose. He promptly proceeded to run at my boxer and snarl and snap....the one and only time in Reina's life that she reacted and she died at 13 years old. Not always the fault of the bigger dog!!! By the way, my dog was leashed.
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

juz516 wrote:Dogs are like humans in the fact that there are good and bad in every "breed"....as in.. not all Muslims are terrorists.

I know and agree what you are saying!!! But, do you not agree (and I don't like to use this as a comparison) that a terrorist would most likely be a Muslim (please..I am not trying to slag Muslims, just saying this as a point) than a natural born Canadian? Do you see my point?

But, not ALL pitbulls, rottis, dobermans, shepherds etc., are bad dogs.

And, I have NEVER said that.....right? :D

Banning any one breed is just not justifiable in my humble opinion...and no amount of discussion will change that opinion. lololol The owners need to step up and take responsibility and there are far too many that just don't care, or believe their dog would never do anything.

Agreed!!!! But....(that dang "but" word again) lol. Owners of pit bulls, roti's DO need to be more on the ball than if you owned a labrador for instance. Why? Because of the breeding..... I am just adding the realistic side of things...not trying to say banning breeds is the answer! But, certain breeds take more work and care than others to have a "good" dog.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

I think we agree, in some way, with all points. I believe that no matter what dog/pet you have you have the responsibility to ensure, to the best of your ability, that that pet will not harm anyone or anything. I don't care if it is a pitbull or chihuahua, it is THE OWNER'S RESPONSIBILITY and, you are right in that the bigger breeds take more watching.
You know....I have lived in several countries, some "third world" where there are many street dogs. It is extremely rare to see or hear of one of those dogs biting a human OR fighting another dog no matter what the breed. Now what would that tell you?? And, believe me, they weren't all labs and such with better temperaments...there was everything from great dane to chihuahua and all things in between.
by the way....what do you consider a "natural born Canadian"??? LOL
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

juz516 wrote:by the way....what do you consider a "natural born Canadian"??? LOL

A non-immigrant, someone born in Canada. I qualify this statement by saying I have NOTHING against immigrants....!!!!!!! I was using that as an example.... :sunshine:
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

LOLOL was just asking. I think you are a logical, thinking and caring human being....but it is seeming more and more to me that there are less and less of us! LOL

Return to “B.C.”