Say NO to pitbull ban

Grayak

Re: Say NO To pit bull ban.

Post by Grayak »

Triple 6 wrote:
Nebula wrote:Is there a petition supporting the ban?

Not yet. Cart before the horse?

I don't think so. There is a lot of talk about this ban in various media outlets so clearly people that fear this will happen are standing up for what they believe in.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

You do realize that signing a petition is a meaningless gesture and has no weight on anything?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Grayak

Post by Grayak »

Captain Awesome wrote:You do realize that signing a petition is a meaningless gesture and has no weight on anything?

I thought the same thing until a few days ago when I actually looked up how online petitions can be effective.

"Governments, companies and individuals value their reputations and feel accountable to their neighbors, constituents and customers. When hundreds or even thousands of emails arrive in their inboxes, the message is very hard to ignore."

I'm a strong believer in trying to do anything possible to support a cause when you believe in it.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Triple 6 wrote:Not yet. Cart before the horse?

Stirring the pot.

Oh look... a kitten...
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Thanks a lot media. I'm sick to death of the witch hunt. Dog control confirmed to me that they don't even show up for attacks of other breeds which they hear over the scanner. We have had twice as many Shepard attacks in the last year as the multiple breeds and crosses that fall under the "pitbull type breed" umbrella and none of them were reported on. Let's get the facts straight before letting hysteria settle in.

We need tougher laws for owners, mandatory spay-nueter laws and education campaigns to see real results.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Grayak

Post by Grayak »

Nebula wrote:
Triple 6 wrote:Not yet. Cart before the horse?

Stirring the pot.

Oh look... a kitten...

I'm the wrong person to try and "stir the pot" with because I won't fight with you, or anyone on any post on this website. I've been reading this forums for a long time and I know how out of hand they can get. I did not post this to spark a debate although I'm sure it will happen. I made it to help support the petition that was made and if I can change one persons view on this topic then thats great!
Grayak

Post by Grayak »

jennylives wrote:Thanks a lot media. I'm sick to death of the witch hunt. Dog control confirmed to me that they don't even show up for attacks of other breeds which they hear over the scanner. We have had twice as many Shepard attacks in the last year as the multiple breeds and crosses that fall under the "pitbull type breed" umbrella and none of them were reported on. Let's get the facts straight before letting hysteria settle in.

We need tougher laws for owners, mandatory spay-nueter laws and education campaigns to see real results.

I agree with everything that you've said completely!! That's exactly how I feel about this entire thing. Thank you!!
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

100% agree with pit bull ban AND controls on other breeds
e.g muzzling in public.
Grayak

Post by Grayak »

George+ wrote:100% agree with pit bull ban AND controls on other breeds
e.g muzzling in public.

http://www.pbrc.net/breedspecific.html

This is a fantastic article I found today that you (and anyone else leaning in this direction) should give a quick read!
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Personally I prefer the idea of people requiring licensing/registration that shows they are trained to raise and train certain breeds.

If you don't have that certificate, you don't get a rotty,pit bull,etc

Get caught with a pit bull and no certification? Heavy fines. 5K to start perhaps.

BC is terrible for people getting animals they can't ever handle themselves and a dog getting out isn't an if, it's a when. All dogs at some point have gotten away from their home/owner "just for a second"

You don't have to ban pit bulls, but you can require all owners of them to take a certification that states they have the capability and knowledge of how to train that breed.
Grayak

Post by Grayak »

JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

This is an essay from a recent CBC radio show from a fellow dog advocate.

On Wednsday Aug. 29 2012 CBC's radio show On The Coast did a study regarding whether or not the media has a bias towards pit bulls when reporting about dog attacks and I found the numbers very interesting, the clip from the show has been circulating around but I thought I would just put down the main facts so it's easier and quicker to get through.

These are the findings of Associate Producer Matthew Lazin-Ryder:

- Traditional studies on dog bites base their findings on media reports therefore if there is a bias in the media towards pit bulls that will be reflected in their statistics.

-In a 2005 study by the Canadian Journal of Emergency Medicine they looked at all dog bites from 1998-2002 that were reported to emergency rooms.

Out of 287 cases

30% were caused by Rotti's

15% German Shepards

7% Husky

5% Pit Bull

5% Collie

-In a 2008 study by the Canadian Vetrinary Journal Huskys were found to be responsible for the most fatal dog attacks but they also found that the majority of fatal dog attacks were caused by packs of dogs.

- Keeping in mind that Rotti's made up 30% of dog bite cases and pitbulls accounted for 5% these are the number of instances that the media reports dog bites that specify breed.

*source CBC archives*

130 Rotti

1420 Pitbull

*source google news*

7 Rotti

541 Pitbull

As you can see the dog that accounts for 5% of the bites is reported in the media over 10 times more often than a dog that accounts for 30% of bites if that isn't a clear cut bias then I don't know what is.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I'm pretty sure if the HA and other tough guy biker sorts started being associated with poodles there would soon be a bias against those, too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Poodles are terrible to start with, no need for bias to be created.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Read all this before.

How many more children, and even some adults, need to suffer???

Return to “B.C.”