R.I.P Amanda Todd

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: R.I.P Amanda Todd

Post by Glacier »

Here you go...
The case inspired outrage around the world. She did everything right: asking for help, relying on friends and family, getting psychiatric help. But she still fell victim to someone else’s recreational hatred. The Royal Canadian Mounted police put an estimated two dozen officers on the case to find the man who victimized her, but had not announced any leads or suspects as of Monday.

Enter Anonymous.

The police may have been playing things close to the bullet-proof vest, but Anonymous is something else entirely. On Monday night, they released a roundup of personal information—that is, they “doxed”—a Vancouver-area man, claiming he was the one behind Todd’s suicide. They released a cache of identifying information including his Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ accounts, links to his accounts at perv sites like Jailbait, photos, chat transcripts, and home address. And, as is traditional, a bombastic “Expect Us” video.

The Internet cheered. The media made house calls. And the RCMP reportedly dispatched two squad cars to the house in case someone decided to go vigilante IRL.

Only one problem: wrong house.

“Please quit posting the address for the guy in [New] Westminster. This is NOT the correct person,” posted Anonymous New Jersey on their popular Facebook page. To be more precise, they had identified who they believe is the right person, but he didn’t live at that address, as the bewildered resident informed the media. Radio station CKNW reported that the police concluded the occupants were at no risk.

Anonymous got some other details wrong, too. The subject is reportedly 19 years old, not 32, as was initially claimed.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense ... g_guy.html
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

Glacier wrote:Here you go...
The case inspired outrage around the world. She did everything right: asking for help, relying on friends and family, getting psychiatric help. But she still fell victim to someone else’s recreational hatred. The Royal Canadian Mounted police put an estimated two dozen officers on the case to find the man who victimized her, but had not announced any leads or suspects as of Monday.

Enter Anonymous.

The police may have been playing things close to the bullet-proof vest, but Anonymous is something else entirely. On Monday night, they released a roundup of personal information—that is, they “doxed”—a Vancouver-area man, claiming he was the one behind Todd’s suicide. They released a cache of identifying information including his Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ accounts, links to his accounts at perv sites like Jailbait, photos, chat transcripts, and home address. And, as is traditional, a bombastic “Expect Us” video.

The Internet cheered. The media made house calls. And the RCMP reportedly dispatched two squad cars to the house in case someone decided to go vigilante IRL.

Only one problem: wrong house.

“Please quit posting the address for the guy in [New] Westminster. This is NOT the correct person,” posted Anonymous New Jersey on their popular Facebook page. To be more precise, they had identified who they believe is the right person, but he didn’t live at that address, as the bewildered resident informed the media. Radio station CKNW reported that the police concluded the occupants were at no risk.

Anonymous got some other details wrong, too. The subject is reportedly 19 years old, not 32, as was initially claimed.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense ... g_guy.html

Thanks. I was hoping for a link from an actual news source but I guess you couldn't find any either.

I have to wonder if you actually even read the link you have provided however because it does not state that the person named is the wrong guy. It states the address was wrong and his age was wrong but nowhere does it say that the person named was not Amanda's tormentor and in fact it clearly states they believe he is the right guy.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Here is the news link:

The online group that claimed to have unmasked Amanda Todd’s tormenter has changed its target to a new suspect, a man located in Wisconsin.

Anonymous took social media by storm earlier this week by posting the personal information about a British Columbia man, alleging he was the one who blackmailed 15-year-old Todd.

Todd committed suicide last week after suffering relentless bullying — both online and in-person — stemming from an incident where a person spread topless pictures of her across the Internet. Anonymous, a loose collection of vigilantes, tracked down a man they believed responsible but B.C. police have called their allegations “unfounded.”

The most recent post by Anonymous contains fewer details about the newly accused than the original, and nothing that directly links the named man with Todd.

The man first named by Anonymous is facing charges in B.C. stemming from an August incident of alleged sexual assault against a victim under 16. A representative for Anonymous, who refused to give a name, told the Star the group “didn’t care” if it was wrong because the man had been accused of similar crimes, though the charges are still before the court.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... manda-todd
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Glacier wrote:Certainly, you are entitled to your opinions - just others are also entitled to their negative opinions of Todd, but there is no evidence that the police were lazy here. How do we know that the police were not investigating? How do we know the guy in question is even in Canada?

The police have been responsible, unlike this Anonymous guy who posted the address of the so called 32 year old, but now it turns out he go the wrong guy and the wrong house. Meanwhile, the real guy has been given enough time to cover his tracks, while to police have been wasting valuable resources investing slanderous allegations against a 19 year old. The key to capturing online perverts is to get them before they realize the cops are onto them. Anonymous has been doing his best to ruin that.

i suppose the 2 friggin years the police sat on their *bleep* and did nothing untill she killed herself should be a hint.
yes its just my opinion that if they would have even partially done their jobs she may still be alive.
and its hard to blame anonymous when they are still naming child sexual predators that one day chances are molest a kid.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Glacier wrote:Certainly, you are entitled to your opinions - just others are also entitled to their negative opinions of Todd, but there is no evidence that the police were lazy here. How do we know that the police were not investigating? How do we know the guy in question is even in Canada?

The police have been responsible, unlike this Anonymous guy who posted the address of the so called 32 year old, but now it turns out he go the wrong guy and the wrong house. Meanwhile, the real guy has been given enough time to cover his tracks, while to police have been wasting valuable resources investing slanderous allegations against a 19 year old. The key to capturing online perverts is to get them before they realize the cops are onto them. Anonymous has been doing his best to ruin that.

You clearly don't know what Anonymous is or how it works, plus they only got the address wrong (sounds like the guy moved). This guy knew people were on to him the second Amanda's story hit the media, so Anon isn't "ruining" anything.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

Glacier wrote:Here is the news link:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/arti ... manda-todd

Thanks.

The statement that was originally released by Anonymous actually contained this line:

Anonymous wrote:Reason:
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/in-wake-of ... l-1.995254

Extorted amanda todd for pictures, at the most this is the person who did this to Amanda Todd and at the least its another pedophile.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Fair enough, I did not know that was the wording of their initial statement.

underscore, if you read the article posted above, it was also the wrong guy (though the wrong guy is also a pervert).
- Douglas Murray
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Our “system” may not be perfect. In fact, many of us will agree that sometimes it is far from it. However, the idea that some have that they can do better - without due process and/or trial - is truly frightening.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

oh, I'll take Anon over the police.
And I think the police not too happy that Anon can get more info in a few hours than they can over weeks
so now the foot dragging begins. My money is still on Anon
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

steven lloyd wrote:Our “system” may not be perfect. In fact, many of us will agree that sometimes it is far from it. However, the idea that some have that they can do better - without due process and/or trial - is truly frightening.

unfortunatly our legal system and police force have proven themselves too often to untrustworthy and tainted.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

normaM wrote:oh, I'll take Anon over the police.
And I think the police not too happy that Anon can get more info in a few hours than they can over weeks
so now the foot dragging begins. My money is still on Anon

its not that the police cant. its that they have to do things within the legal framework. because if they dont our already flimsy justice system will ensure that nothing comes from it.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

keith1612 wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:Our “system” may not be perfect. In fact, many of us will agree that sometimes it is far from it. However, the idea that some have that they can do better - without due process and/or trial - is truly frightening.

unfortunatly our legal system and police force have proven themselves too often to untrustworthy and tainted.

And your suggestion to address that is – vigilantism ? We'll place sole blame on individual parents for the children's mistakes, avoid acknowledging any collective responsibility and encourage mobs to seek retribution on alleged offenders without any due process. Bring back gallows and public hangings too. I guess they had it right in the Middle Ages then. Truly scary.

And so the devolution of civilization begins to accelerate. :digging:
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

steven lloyd wrote:And your suggestion to address that is – vigilantism ? We'll place sole blame on individual parents for the children's mistakes, avoid acknowledging any collective responsibility and encourage mobs to seek retribution on alleged offenders without any due process. Bring back gallows and public hangings too. I guess they had it right in the Middle Ages then. Truly scary.

And so the devolution of civilization begins to accelerate. :digging:

you take it your ways and i will mine.
personally i would have zero issue with every child molester, sexual predator etc taken out and hung from the tree's.
not once did i lay blame on the parents.
i would say the eye for a eye mentality in the middle ages beat the hell out of todays general idea of give a rapist 6 months in a halfway house and then let him rent next door to a school.
the police had ample time to help this girl and failed and now want to look concerned and caring, sorry if i do not buy it.
Christy Clark will now give speeches about it, teachers and schoolboards will sound alarms.
shame they didnt take it serious 2 years ago when it started.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

this is not a first, and it unfortunately, won't be the last.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

keith1612 wrote: personally i would have zero issue with every child molester, sexual predator etc taken out and hung from the tree's.

Again, will that be before or after some form of due process, and if so, will due process be carried out by some group of faceless, anonymous computer hackers? I know this is an emotionally charged matter but are you failing to see the problems with this type of thinking? Hundreds of years ago our ancestors fled Europe to flee tyranny and now you’re willing to turn that type of tyrannical power over again to a faceless and anonymous group (or anonymous individual) or groups of mobs? Can you not see where this will lead us and what an ugly and frightening world that will be?

Return to “B.C.”