R.I.P Amanda Todd

sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Re: R.I.P Amanda Todd

Post by sooperphreek »

ya im sure in the middle ages people loved mob rule when everything you held dear could be destroyed because of a lie or rumor when the blood thirsty hordes descended on you without compunction. im glad we stepped out of those archaic ways and we have a justice system. nothing is stopping you from going out and killing pedophiles if you so wish but yourself. the only thing you will have to decide is if you are willing to take responsibility for the consequences after you get caught. 2 wrongs dont make a right. isnt that what your mama used to say?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

IMHO--killing pedophiles is not a wrong maybe your not ok with that :ohmygod: for whatever strange reason ,but some of us are ok with it
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

the truth wrote:IMHO--killing pedophiles is not a wrong maybe your not ok with that :ohmygod: for whatever strange reason ,but some of us are ok with it

yes i agree 100%, the adult sexual predator that tortured Amanda deserves no special rights, if he is smart he will turn himself in fast.
i have a feeling he is a very sought after scum bag.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Steven - the justice system certainly hasn't made this any less of an ugly frightening World.
Karla walks and gets wed and has kids like nothing ever happened.. can't get much more frightening than killing your sister.
Perhaps people are tired of the police bungling and the Courts stalling and the Lawyers cutting deals. I don't condone Judge Dredds but I think many ppl are just fed up with how the system often seems to work in favor of the Perp not the victim
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

normaM wrote:Steven - the justice system certainly hasn't made this any less of an ugly frightening World.
Karla walks and gets wed and has kids like nothing ever happened.. can't get much more frightening than killing your sister.
Perhaps people are tired of the police bungling and the Courts stalling and the Lawyers cutting deals. I don't condone Judge Dredds but I think many ppl are just fed up with how the system often seems to work in favor of the Perp not the victim

Agreed, when it comes to kids who will never get over being sexually attacked by someone in a life time, web style or in real the perpatrator needs more then the justice system gives them. I am not really for hanging people but for attacks against kids I'd vote to go back in time and rid us of those people. There should be good reason to think twice before doing such a thing and hurting kids.
Hurting kids should be our biggest crime punishment same as murdering someone, and both crimes should come with a lot more then 25 years,,, natural life time in the tank if we cant get rid of them by hanging when it comes to hurting kids or murdering more then one person unless it is proven to be an intensional or brutal murder. Our system sucks.
I know it wont cure the issue. But for those who think hanging or natural life time in aint so bad then let us get rid of them off our streets somehow.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

the funny thing is that people say they want to deal with the peds before jail. guess they are naive about what happens to them in general population in jail......even rapists and murderers get to turn up their noses up at them.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

sooperphreek wrote:the funny thing is that people say they want to deal with the peds before jail. guess they are naive about what happens to them in general population in jail......even rapists and murderers get to turn up their noses up at them.

UNLESS,,, they are put in protective care. Which happens. We pay more for that.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

nothing happens to them, please.. you think we are daft? Reading your post it is like the bad guys take care of the badder guys, doesn't happen
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

guess you had your head in the sand about jeffrey dahmer?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

oh thats right, he was a famous Canadian criminal right?
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Roadster wrote:UNLESS,,, they are put in protective care. Which happens. We pay more for that.

lol you pay no extra, you have cells there and guards there and it probably costs 25% or more less to support a inmate locked up 23 hrs a day with 1 hour in a cage outside.
given the chance general population would wipe out rapists in 24 hrs, but you are usually pre warned they are coming and not to rock the boat.
i have seen child molesters walk into jail with a 9 month sentence and get slapped and end up 5 hrs later for their safety on the street in a halfway house.
the justice system is about costs, problems cost more.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

normaM wrote:Steven - the justice system certainly hasn't made this any less of an ugly frightening World.Karla walks and gets wed and has kids like nothing ever happened.. can't get much more frightening than killing your sister. Perhaps people are tired of the police bungling and the Courts stalling and the Lawyers cutting deals. I don't condone Judge Dredds but I think many ppl are just fed up with how the system often seems to work in favor of the Perp not the victim

No norma, the justice system has not made this any less of an ugly frightening World – and no one system of its own ever will. The underlying causes of social failings are far too complex to be addressed and “corrected” by any one group of people – recognizing that when we refer to the justice system we are already talking about a highly inter-related and interdependent complex system. If we want to talk about changes to sentencing, then that is what we need to talk about and target the specific components of the system responsible for that – the Judges, Courts and case law that influence the execution of law and our politicians who create and write law.

As an aside, we also have to remember that politicians (sometimes) see themselves as having a responsibility to taxpayers, as do Crown and the Courts, and this sometimes includes deal being made with offenders to save the public huge dollars in the long term. Crown is always negotiating and making deals with offenders to accept guilt for lesser sentences to save the Courts (and the taxpayer) time and money. That is a reality of our world. The public is always demanding more but thinks we should get it without having to pay for it. Karla may have walked free, but Bernado will never see the outside of a prison wall and that deal probably saved two to three years in Court time.

If anyone really wants to discuss making changes to the justice system to make it more effective we have to specify exactly which component of the system we are talking about – or else the discussion turns into a directionless, thread-derailing mess (like so many of the discussions on these boards, including this one, turn into anyway). The point I have been referring to here on this thread, and directly related to the topic, is the nature and importance of due process as it relates to the counter-productive and interfering efforts of Anonymous. As previously stated, our ancestors fled Europe hundreds of years ago to flee exactly that type of tyranny (execution of punishment without due process or proof of guilt) and now people are willing to turn that type of tyrannical power over again to a faceless and anonymous group (or anonymous individual) or groups of mobs?

Yes, it is a travesty that Karla Homolka murdered her sister and is now free. I agree with that 100%. I would still, however, rather see Karla free and wed than someone innocent of any crime beaten to serious injury or death by a mob due to the ignorance and rage of some crowd. Our system is far from perfect, and I know it often seems to favour the offender over the victim. I agree we need to work to improve it (now if we can only convince people there is a reason we pay taxes) but it is designed to protect the innocent from unjust prosecution by the State/Crown. We had good reason to set our justice system up that way. Even with a system that appears to favour offenders over victims we still imprison innocent people. Imagine leaving those decisions up to vigilantes or a mob? The only difference between Anonymous and Judge Dredd is Anonymous will be using a vigilante or mob to do the actual killing.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

as always the voice of reason.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

lol just long winded excuses.
steven lloyd