Teachers suspended

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Teachers suspended

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

sooperphreek wrote:the bold is the insanity of this statement. do you think that ANY teacher in their right mind would discipline for NO GOOD REASON? if so then......again......its clear how polluted the waters are with you. and of course his friends all took the kids side....thats friendship 101. sad that we live in a society where this can happen.

All this begun when corporal punishment was taken out of teachers hands. Given that for all the time that children are in school they are in the care and control of teachers, it only seems logical that for that time they should have similar rights as parents when their charges decide to act out, or otherwise push the envelope.

I find it interesting how easily the term assault is bandied about by some, generally those who have an axe to grind, or for some other self serving reason resort to that term.
Definition of ASSAULT
a : a violent physical or verbal attack
b : a military attack usually involving direct combat with enemy forces
c : a concerted effort (as to reach a goal or defeat an adversary)
a : a threat or attempt to inflict offensive physical contact or bodily harm on a person (as by lifting a fist in a threatening manner) that puts the person in immediate danger of or in apprehension of such harm or contact

I'm not really seeing these definitions as fitting the scenario in question. I'd be far more inclined to characterize what this teacher did as "taking initiative" in asserting who is in control. I'm also sure that were this teacher to relive that day she'd likely not resort to the same action.

I don't wish to have my view looked upon as an endorsement of violence because it's not, but on the other hand this scenario isn't really too much different from how a parent might react to an unruly child in a grocery store, and the whole zipper thing I'm certain was simply an accident, but extremely convenient for the victim to blow out of proportion and cast attention elsewhere, rather than on what precipitated the event in the first place.

Teachers need to maintain control and I'm sure that isn't always the easiest goal to achieve.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
sooperphreek wrote:the bold is the insanity of this statement. do you think that ANY teacher in their right mind would discipline for NO GOOD REASON? if so then......again......its clear how polluted the waters are with you. and of course his friends all took the kids side....thats friendship 101. sad that we live in a society where this can happen.

All this begun when corporal punishment was taken out of teachers hands. Given that for all the time that children are in school they are in the care and control of teachers, it only seems logical that for that time they should have similar rights as parents when their charges decide to act out, or otherwise push the envelope.

I find it interesting how easily the term assault is bandied about by some, generally those who have an axe to grind, or for some other self serving reason resort to that term.
Definition of ASSAULT
a : a violent physical or verbal attack
b : a military attack usually involving direct combat with enemy forces
c : a concerted effort (as to reach a goal or defeat an adversary)
a : a threat or attempt to inflict offensive physical contact or bodily harm on a person (as by lifting a fist in a threatening manner) that puts the person in immediate danger of or in apprehension of such harm or contact

I'm not really seeing these definitions as fitting the scenario in question. I'd be far more inclined to characterize what this teacher did as "taking initiative" in asserting who is in control. I'm also sure that were this teacher to relive that day she'd likely not resort to the same action.

I don't wish to have my view looked upon as an endorsement of violence because it's not, but on the other hand this scenario isn't really too much different from how a parent might react to an unruly child in a grocery store, and the whole zipper thing I'm certain was simply an accident, but extremely convenient for the victim to blow out of proportion and cast attention elsewhere, rather than on what precipitated the event in the first place.

Teachers need to maintain control and I'm sure that isn't always the easiest goal to achieve.

Under canadian law laying your hands on any person physicaly is assault.
I cant choke my wife because she didnt cook my way
She cant choke a student for talking when she didnt want him to.
Control is one thing this is another.
If she had handled the situation by the rules she would not have been punished.
Its pretty obvious she broke the law.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

So by your definition spanking a child would also be deemed assault, yet many parents do feel that at times it's warranted and necessary. Elaborate on that.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Isn't it funny how some laws some of the time are black and white no deviation yet another law that the person doesn't totaly agree with is wrong or has grey areas all over it. For example speeding, drinking and driving, police obtaining warrants, you name it. I think what Lonewolf is trying to say is every case is different and has to be treated as such. Was it a definite attempt to injure, no. Is this a mistake or a repeat offender, mistake. Is the person remorseful, yes. Are they likely to reoffend, no.

When I say if you drink and drive you deserve what you get I get jumped on by any number of people yet here they will hang someone for one mistake. The teacher went through the legal system. The system decided it wasn't serious enough to continue with the charge. They dropped the charge and turned her over to the Alternative Measures program and she was dealt with. The school then dealt with it in an appropriate manner. Justice has been served.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:So by your definition spanking a child would also be deemed assault, yet many parents do feel that at times it's warranted and necessary. Elaborate on that.

well even parents have to be careful how they punish children do they not.
i still do not consider this act done by the teacher ordinary discipline nor did the courts or school board.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

You're right and they took appropriate action, the teacher was punished accordingly and it is done.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

The best course of action would have been communicating in a way the teacher understood. By dragging him down the hallway by his tie!
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I might even agree if I really knew any of the circumstances.
Was the child a regular repeat offender - teacher and maybe even principal completely at wits end.
Had the kid been told numerous times to stop - everyone was at wits end.

These and numerous other things could make quite a difference in the final decission. I am in no way saying what was done was right but maybe there were a number of dircumstances we don't know anything about that made the crown council, schoolboard etc. make the decission they did. We truthfully have no idea.

OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

grammafreddy wrote:Image

Well, that says it all! That's pretty much the only time I really feel anger
Stupidity, and anything unjust or unfair.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Well you/we should be happy now then because this was handled through all the proper channels legal and otherwise.

noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

Circumstances are you touch my kid I breaka yer face!
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

i think it is interesting how people cant see the forest for the trees. bullying is a real problem. but i think that people create more hysteria about how much of a problem it seems and then it doesnt matter what you do or say you are a bully. or if you have a different viewpoint than gays and lesbians you are called a bigot. i dont recall calling anyone a *bleep*. but in the context of what i was saying about a certain other thread - a person did something inappropriate and it haunted her to her death. while unfortunate she had to take responsibility for her actions in all that transpired in my opinion. and thats what gets lost in all the hysteria. the hoodie kid has to take responsibility for his part of the equation. and it shouldnt be excused.
noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

You best have lawful right. Think of it as a contract. Teachers are familiar with them. Abusing my child constitutes your consent in my communicating with you in the same manner used on my child to express my non consent in your method. Crystal?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

noneofyourbiz3 wrote:You best have lawful right.

Many of us recall a time that teachers had just that. Time it was given back to them. They should have that right for any minors in their care and control.

You sound an awful lot like the type of parent that would defend their kid regardless of what they behave like. :200:

As far as I'm concerned, any parents that don't like the idea of teachers having lawful right to discipline rowdy disruptive students, are fully free and welcome to home school.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
noneofyourbiz3 wrote:You best have lawful right.

Many of us recall a time that teachers had just that. Time it was given back to them. They should have that right for any minors in their care and control.

You sound an awful lot like the type of parent that would defend their kid regardless of what they behave like. :200:

As far as I'm concerned, any parents that don't like the idea of teachers having lawful right to discipline rowdy disruptive students, are fully free and welcome to home school.

so more or less you are saying allow a teacher having a bad day the right to slap your child around or go without public school.
i dont think a teacher ever has the right to touch a child unless its for true protection reasons, protection of that child, other children or the teacher themselves.
if the reason doesnt fall into that catagory i believe its assault and the teacher should be fired on the spot with no future pay.

Return to “B.C.”