B.C. coast belongs to Canada, not British Columbia. Huh?

coffeeFreak
Guru

B.C. coast belongs to Canada, not British Columbia. Huh?

Post by coffeeFreak »

Them's fighting words...

Dear Alberta: Whose coast is it, anyway?
GARY MASON
The Globe and Mail
Published Thursday, Oct. 25 2012, 2:00 AM EDT
Last updated Thursday, Oct. 25 2012, 12:28 PM EDT

It’s been easy for Alberta Premier Alison Redford to avoid scrutiny of her stand on Northern Gateway. Her B.C. counterpart, Christy Clark, has certainly hogged the national spotlight on the issue, with her hostage-like demands for the pipeline project’s freedom.

But a closer examination of Ms. Redford’s Gateway position reveals a provincial leader who fails to understand not only her role in making this undertaking happen but also some of the sensitivities surrounding it.

It’s been easy for Alberta Premier Alison Redford to avoid scrutiny of her stand on Northern Gateway. Her B.C. counterpart, Christy Clark, has certainly hogged the national spotlight on the issue, with her hostage-like demands for the pipeline project’s freedom.

This week, the Alberta Premier offered her views in an exchange with CBC’s Peter Mansbridge. By the time it was over, it was evident why there’s a political stalemate. Ms. Clark deserves her fair share of the blame for this, but so does Ms. Redford.

The interview moment that shocked many was when Ms. Redford said the B.C. coast belongs to Canada, not British Columbia. “A Canadian coast is a coast that should be available for all Canadians to make use of and to export their product.” As she uttered these words, I imagined the chests of British Columbians everywhere tightening, their blood pressure hitting red-alert levels.

To be fair, it was Ms. Clark herself who first said that B.C.’s coast belongs to Canada. It’s perhaps the most politically inane statement she’s made since becoming Premier. The B.C. coast is Canada’s coast to the extent that the Great Lakes are Canada’s Great Lakes and the Alberta oil sands are Canada’s oil sands. That is, they exist within the boundaries of our country.

But the notion that the Maritimes or Alberta should have equal voices in what happens along the B.C. coast is preposterous. It won’t be Albertans hitting the beaches to clean up the mess when an oil tanker sinks. It won’t be Quebeckers whose livelihoods will be destroyed by a massive oil leak. It will be British Columbians.

If it’s really Canada’s coast, why not ask the rest of the country what it thinks about oil tankers the size of football fields going down the coast? Maybe people in Thunder Bay, Ont., have no problem with the idea. Or people in Leduc or Caroline, Alta., either. After all, it’s apparently as much their coast as it is the coast of the people of B.C.

As bad as it was when Ms. Clark said it, it sounded twice as bad coming from the Premier of Alberta. Just think about it. She was saying the B.C. coast belongs to the country, but the oil sands, well, that’s another matter. They belong to Albertans. How do you like them apples, B.C.?

We accept that there are national imperatives and that our ports are needed to achieve them. But to suggest that the B.C. coast isn’t ultimately the domain of British Columbians is pure foolishness, even if you can point to some arcane laws that give Ottawa constitutional authority over it. The federal government has little-used powers it could exercise to exert influence and control over the oil sands, too, if it wanted. But it would never do so in the interests of national unity and political survival.

Beyond this issue, Ms. Redford made clear during the interview that she has little appetite for trying to help the B.C. government find a solution to its economic concerns related to the pipeline. The Alberta Premier believes that’s a matter Ms. Clark should take up with Enbridge, the force behind the Gateway project.

She’s wrong about that. Given what’s at stake for her province, Ms. Redford should be Gateway’s biggest advocate. If that means trying to help find answers to unlock B.C.’s support, then she should be all over it. Doing little beyond saying the project should go ahead isn’t leadership – it’s arrogance and an abrogation of her responsibilities.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/whose-coast-is-it-anyway/article4643101/
CorkSoaker
Board Meister

Re: B.C. coast belongs to Canada, not British Columbia. Huh?

Post by CorkSoaker »

Based on Ms. Redford's logic, if all coastlines are Canadian coastlines and belong to all of Canada then Alberta oil sands also belong to all of Canada and every province is entitled to an equal share of the profits.
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.

It is often said that truth is the first casualty of any war
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

In the case of the pipelines, what difference does it make in terms of who owns the coasts? The citizens of BC must surely have the right, through their Provincial Government, to say you can or can't send bitumin through pipelines across our pristine wilderness. If they can't get the product to the coast..... ???
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

coffeeFreak wrote:Them's fighting words...

To be fair, it was Ms. Clark herself who first said that B.C.’s coast belongs to Canada. It’s perhaps the most politically inane statement she’s made since becoming Premier. The B.C. coast is Canada’s coast to the extent that the Great Lakes are Canada’s Great Lakes and the Alberta oil sands are Canada’s oil sands. That is, they exist within the boundaries of our country.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/commentary/whose-coast-is-it-anyway/article4643101/

That truly is the most politically insane statement she has made,but what do you expect from an unqualified person with no mandate but to only speak from her own incompetent misguided opinion,pretending to be Premier of BC.
Christy Clark does not speak and represent BC.She only represents a small majority of voters in the riding of Vancouver Point Grey,and herself.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

ms clark could take a golden parachute in a heartbeat and sign this thing away .. the fact she hasnt tells me she is more of a leader than any we have had in bc in quite some time ..
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

A leader, I think not.A leader doesn't sell out her province and Canada to China.
Attachments
christysellout.jpg
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

maple leaf wrote:A leader, I think not.A leader doesn't sell out her province and Canada to China.

You got all that from that letter eh? Geez you're good.

If that bothers you so much I suggest you and all your union loving loyalists take a good gander as to where your pension funds and all such things are invested.

I'm all for supporting home grown business, but that doesn't change the fact that we are now in a global economy, and yes, that includes China. One has to trade with customers who actually have money you know. :wink:

Given your concern you should also investigate how much of Canada has been sold to other interests, Arab, Israel, American, and so on.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

CorkSoaker wrote:Based on Ms. Redford's logic, if all coastlines are Canadian coastlines and belong to all of Canada then Alberta oil sands also belong to all of Canada and every province is entitled to an equal share of the profits.

Oh but they will - trickle down style.

Hold your breath.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
maple leaf wrote:A leader, I think not.A leader doesn't sell out her province and Canada to China.

You got all that from that letter eh? Geez you're good.

If that bothers you so much I suggest you and all your union loving loyalists take a good gander as to where your pension funds and all such things are invested.

I'm all for supporting home grown business, but that doesn't change the fact that we are now in a global economy, and yes, that includes China. One has to trade with customers who actually have money you know. :wink:

Given your concern you should also investigate how much of Canada has been sold to other interests, Arab, Israel, American, and so on.

Not really just from that letter.That is just part of what is going on.The letter just shows Christy Clark on board with Harpers sell out of Canada.Either by ignorance or on her own doings.
I know you guys don't like to read and be informed, but I do, so along with that letter and these articles as well as numerous others one can find on the subject, such as here:

http://academicalism.wordpress.com/2012 ... ds-debate/

and here:
http://billtieleman.blogspot.ca/2012/10 ... ignty.html

and here:
http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2012/10/24/BC-FIPA-Response/

and here:
http://richardhughes.ca/politics/mulcai ... ment-fipa/

and here:

Dear

If you think the proposed takeover of Nexen by China’s national offshore oil corporation (CNOOC)1 is controversial, you’re in for a shock – it’s just the tip of the iceberg.

Harper is about to sign a trade treaty with China that places foreign corporate profits above our own democratic laws and policies2. He plans to sign the treaty into law on November 1st with NO public or parliamentary debate. 

We can’t let this happen. Send a message to Conservative members of the International Trade Committee now! Tell them that you oppose enactment of the China Canada Foreign Investment Promotion and Protection Act (FIPA). Demand that they contact the Speaker of the House of Commons and request a debate on this treaty.

This trade deal is the most significant foreign investment pact since NAFTA and the Harper government quietly released it with a mere twenty-one days notice before enactment. It would give Chinese companies invested in Canada the right to sue us for making decisions that impact their profits - be they for labour, health, banking, human rights or environmental protection.

For example, if British Columbia says “no” to the Northern Gateway pipeline, then Chinese investors in Enbridge can sue Canada for limiting their profits—an amount that might well total hundreds of millions of dollars. Pulled out of our taxpayer pockets and without our knowledge.

How is that possible? Because any Chinese lawsuit filed won’t be brought before a Canadian court of law. Not under this treaty. Instead, a three person arbitration panel decides the outcome. Behind closed doors. Without any recourse to Canadian judicial review or appeal.

Please help me stop this outrageous treaty from becoming law on November 1st. Send a message to members of the International Trade Committee right now and tell them “NO DEAL”. Let them know they have a responsibility to protect Canada’s sovereignty and demand a full review and debate of this treaty.

Stay tuned for more updates.

Sincerely,

Clayton Ruby, C.M.
Board Chair, ForestEthics Advocacy
B.A., LL.B, LL.M., LL.D. (honoris causa)

P.S. I am investigating whether we can challenge this treaty on the grounds that it is unconstitutional. It will be tough to make that case. That’s why I need you to contact members of the International Trade Committee immediately and urge them to debate and suspend this deal.

1) Calgary Herald article: Hasty Nexen deal bad for Canada; Lack of debate in House, across nation

2) The Tyee article: China Investment Treaty: Expert Sounds Alarms in Letter to Harper
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

theyeti wrote:ms clark could take a golden parachute in a heartbeat and sign this thing away .. the fact she hasnt tells me she is more of a leader than any we have had in bc in quite some time ..

She hasn't signed anything because there is nothing to sign yet. That will come after the B.C. election next year. She knows there is a lot of opposition about the pipeline and she's only worried about her butt. Not a leader at all.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
mrj222
Übergod

Post by mrj222 »

theyeti wrote:ms clark could take a golden parachute in a heartbeat and sign this thing away .. the fact she hasnt tells me she is more of a leader than any we have had in bc in quite some time ..

she likes jet setting on our dime too much to give up the last shred of a chance she has to be elected. No leadership there but I do give you praise for looking so hard for something positive in the mess that is the BC liberals and christy clark.
We can't stop here, this is bat country!
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

lmao you think she hasnt allready promised Harper and alberta that she will do it if voted in?
like the HST when caught she will get a cushy overseas job with great pay.
the only part in families first true with Christy is HER family.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

well im no liberal supporter .. i just think she has more to gain personally by signing this .. she wont care about another term if she signs it she will be worth billions ...
just imagine all the kick backs for doing a deal like that against the will of the people
just my thoughts on the matter
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

This kind of stuff going on, and the attitudes portrayed makes one wonder if the likes of Jesse Ventura and Ted Nugent are as totally crazy as they appear.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

I doubt that anyone in BC or Alberta will decide on the pipeline, Premier or otherwise. It's a federal decision. Period.

Return to “B.C.”