barista_bear

Re: Earthquake?

Post by barista_bear »

nothing here in North Glenmore. But have family in Masset
DaveC
Board Meister

Post by DaveC »

Nothing in the mission. Odd, because i usually notice these things.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I have heard reports via Twitter of people in Masset being evacuated to high ground.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Wow . 3 quakes reported so far , and I am pretty sure there is another one happening right now. (21:15) Seismographs from the immediate area appear to be out of commission right now , but I have been watching one from Port Hardy , and there have been several aftershocks.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Here is animation of how a tsunami is created http://www.pep.bc.ca/tsunamis/causes_2.htm
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Impulse_rs
Fledgling

Post by Impulse_rs »

THE WORLD IS COMING TO AN END!!!!!!!!!!!
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Earthquake hits Queen Charlottes

Post by steven lloyd »

Pretty cool. We were downstairs (one and a half hours from Rupert) and felt our basement floor sliding back and forth. Blinds and plants were moving back and forth and the floor was moving. Thankfully no damage. This is the first earthquake I’ve ever been in. Kinda spooky.

Earthquake hits Queen Charlottes
by Trevor Rockliffe - Story: 82477
Oct 27, 2012 / 8:45 pm

One earthquake measuring 7.7 hit the Queen Charlotte area at 8:04 p.m., at 8:14 p.m. another quake struck, this time it was smaller at 5.8, according to the US Geographical Survey website.
People in Kamloops say their blinds were moving and someone else reported on Facebook that they were at a lake and said it felt like a tree had fallen.
A tsunami warning has been issued for the area.

Photo: Contributed - USGS
Here are the details.
• Date-Time
• Sunday, October 28, 2012 at 3:04:10 UTC
• Saturday, October 27, 2012 at 8:04:10 p.m. at epicenter
• Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
• Depth
• 17.5 km (10.9 miles)
• Region
• QUEEN CHARLOTTE ISLANDS REGION
• Distances
• 139 km (86 miles) S of Masset, Canada
• 202 km (125 miles) SSW of Prince Rupert
• 293 km (182 miles) SW of Terrace
• 556 km (345 miles) NW of Campbell River

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#82477
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: Earthquake hits Queen Charlottes

Post by steven lloyd »

Tsunami Warning for BC and US
by Trevor Rockliffe - Story: 82482
Oct 27, 2012 / 9:31 pm

A tsunami warning has been issued. If you are in a low lying coastal area you are at risk and must move to higher ground or inland now. Do not return until directed to do so. Closely monitor local radio stations for additional information from local authorities.

A tsunami warning is now in effect which includes the Coastal areas of British Columbia and Alaska from the north Tip of Vancouver Island British Columbia to cape decision Alaska/located 85 miles se of Sitka.

Origin time - 0304Z 28 oct 2012 coordinates - 52.9 north 131.9 west depth - 10 km location - Queen Charlotte Islands region magnitude - 7.7 Estimated times of initial wave arrival for selected Sites in the warning are provided below.

Langara 2116 PDT oct 27 Northern tip Vancouver Island 2117 PDT oct 27 Please minimize phone use in affected areas. For further information contact the Provincial Emergency Program at http://WWW.PEP.BC.CA (english only).

Issued by Environment Canada on behalf of the British Columbia Provincial Emergency Program.

Zone B - the Central Coast including Bella Coola Bella Bella and Shearwater
• 8:57 PM PDT Saturday 27 October 2012

Tsunami warning for Zone B - the Central Coast including Bella Coola Bella Bella and Shearwater continued

A tsunami warning has been issued. If you are in a low lying coastal area you are at risk and must move to higher ground or inland now. Do not return until directed to do so. Closely monitor local radio stations for additional information from local authorities.

A tsunami warning is now in effect which includes the Coastal areas of British Columbia and Alaska from the north Tip of Vancouver Island British Columbia to cape decision Alaska/located 85 miles se of sitka/.

Origin time - 0304Z 28 oct 2012 coordinates - 52.9 north 131.9 west depth - 10 km location - Queen Charlotte Islands region magnitude - 7.7 Estimated times of initial wave arrival for selected Sites in the warning are provided below.

Langara 2116 PDT oct 27 Northern tip Vancouver Island 2117 PDT oct 27 Please minimize phone use in affected areas. For further information contact the Provincial Emergency Program at http://WWW.PEP.BC.CA (english only).

Issued by Environment Canada on behalf of the British Columbia Provincial Emergency Program
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Earthquake hits Queen Charlottes

Post by GordonH »

Being discussed here SL viewtopic.php?f=23&t=46705
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

Nothing here at my place in Downtown Kelowna, though I was having a bath at around the same time that the earthquake happened, so it would have been hard to notice. 7.7 is pretty big. I hope there wasn't too much damage where it happened.

Everybody turn on Channel 6 (CBC) right now. There isnt anything on Global or CHBC of course.
bcpaul
Fledgling

Post by bcpaul »

Friend of mine talked to some friends there. Seems all is ok and they are upset that their halloween dance might be cancelled.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Glacier wrote:Image

We're in that red zone but an hour and a half up the Skeena from the coast. I don't expect any tsunami issues making it to us. I'm just hoping we don't get an aftershock more powerful from the first shock. That shock was just good enough to be very interesting for a guy who has never been in an earthquake. Walls shacking, floor sliding back and forth, blinds and floor plants moving back and forth. But no pictures or glasware falling anywhere. Nothing breaking. Cool. Hope everyone else is well.
Cumungala
Übergod

Re: Earthquake hits Queen Charlottes ?

Post by Cumungala »

All low lying areas along the entire Pacific Coast of BC and part of Alaska are now being evacuated due to a risk of a tsunami. The East Coast of Vancouver Island and the Mainland Coast along the Georgia Strait (including Vancouver) are not being evacuated. Theres no way that a tsunami would form in there.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Earthquake hits Queen Charlottes ?

Post by prairieflower »

Just talked to my brother who lives in Parksville..... they felt nothing there at all and there have been
no warnings given at all.

Return to “B.C.”