41299

Earthquake hits Queen Charlottes

Re: Earthquake hits Queen Charlottes ?

Postby kompili » Oct 28th, 2012, 12:40 am

Don't worry people, this is normal, earthquakes happen all the time.
We Have Been Conditioned To See Only What They Want Us To See.
User avatar
kompili
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11112
Likes: 506 posts
Liked in: 499 posts
Joined: Jul 30th, 2009, 12:10 am
Location: Unknown

Earthquake tremors anyone?

Postby Castlegirl » Oct 28th, 2012, 4:16 am

I live in downtown Kelowna and I felt my place (condo) moving under my feet. There were tapping like sounds from the windows and I thought it was hail. Then the blinds and hanging lights were swaying. It was a bit frightening and I was prepared to leave in case it got worse but it didn't last long. :skyisfalling:
Castlegirl
 
Posts: 1
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Oct 28th, 2012, 4:03 am

Re: Earthquake hits Queen Charlottes ?

Postby GordonH » Oct 28th, 2012, 6:22 am

kompili wrote:Don't worry people, this is normal, earthquakes happen all the time.


True enough kompili, just not to many 7+ in magnitude.

Since 7.7 quake hit their has been close to 30 aftershocks of 4.0 or higher.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16330
Likes: 1434 posts
Liked in: 4260 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Earthquake hits Queen Charlottes ?

Postby Queen K » Oct 28th, 2012, 6:22 am

Yes, earthquakes since antiquity, well before anyone ever dreamed up HAARP.

I tried the Livestream new link but am getting nothing but a black screen. They may not even be on.

Tsunami alert/evac downgraded!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... quake.html
Last edited by Queen K on Oct 28th, 2012, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
What we write here can be deceiving, diving into the psyche beneath the surface can lead to murky waters indeed.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 44167
Likes: 5645 posts
Liked in: 6567 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 12:39 pm
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: Earthquake hits Queen Charlottes ?

Postby Nom_de_Plume » Oct 28th, 2012, 8:52 am

Just phoned my Mum in Nanaimo, she didn't even know an earthquake had happened :dyinglaughing:
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Nom_de_Plume
Guru
 
Posts: 6470
Likes: 223 posts
Liked in: 411 posts
Joined: Mar 7th, 2007, 8:13 am
Location: Falkland

Re: Earthquake hits Queen Charlottes ?

Postby Frisk » Oct 28th, 2012, 1:37 pm

6.3 mag. aftershock.
Life goes on
User avatar
Frisk
Guru
 
Posts: 7059
Likes: 2345 posts
Liked in: 1598 posts
Joined: Apr 24th, 2011, 9:32 am
Location: West Kelowna

Re: Earthquake hits Queen Charlottes ?

Postby brounal » Oct 28th, 2012, 2:40 pm

Daughters and son and x live in Victoria. One daughter noticed something funny with elevator at work around 8pm when it hit. Other daughter and son noticed nothing at all. And they are in Victoria. So pretty amazing all these people noticing it living much farther away like Edmonton. But guess it just depends on various factors.

Anyway ,no one hurt, no real damage ,very very lucky it was where it was and as deep as it was. If this had been right under Victoria or Van or right in middle of Van and Victoria think might be seeing a major major disaster , a 7.7 is nothing to sneeze at. I would say at least for now people have dodged the bullet.

Now have no idea if something this big might help make the probability for more big ones less in which case this one could be a good thing.
brounal
Board Meister
 
Posts: 490
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 127 posts
Joined: Sep 15th, 2011, 9:17 am

Re: Earthquake hits Queen Charlottes ?

Postby Glacier » Oct 28th, 2012, 3:02 pm

There's not really that much difference between Victoria and Edmonton though (especially when the national media considers anything within a couple hundred km of the city to be Edmonton). Victoria is about 750 km from the quake, and Edmonton bedroom communities are less than a 1100 km. Kelowna is about 900 km away from the quake. It really depends on the type of soil you're standing on and all that, and we are told that people did feel it in Whitehorse which is close to 1000 km away.
Oh?
User avatar
Glacier
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 24039
Likes: 1866 posts
Liked in: 6439 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Earthquake hits Queen Charlottes ?

Postby kompili » Oct 28th, 2012, 3:10 pm

A total of 49 earthquakes have struck the Queen Charlotte Islands since last night
We Have Been Conditioned To See Only What They Want Us To See.
User avatar
kompili
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11112
Likes: 506 posts
Liked in: 499 posts
Joined: Jul 30th, 2009, 12:10 am
Location: Unknown

Re: Earthquake hits Queen Charlottes ?

Postby Nebula » Oct 28th, 2012, 3:40 pm

kompili wrote:A total of 49 earthquakes have struck the Queen Charlotte Islands since last night

Normal after a big earthquake.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
User avatar
Nebula
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16288
Likes: 18 posts
Liked in: 124 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2005, 9:52 am
Location: Puzzle Palace

Re: Earthquake hits Queen Charlottes ?

Postby kompili » Oct 28th, 2012, 6:14 pm

Nebula wrote:Normal after a big earthquake.


that's what I said, don't worry, everything is normal, go back to sleep
We Have Been Conditioned To See Only What They Want Us To See.
User avatar
kompili
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11112
Likes: 506 posts
Liked in: 499 posts
Joined: Jul 30th, 2009, 12:10 am
Location: Unknown

Re: Earthquake hits Queen Charlottes ?

Postby Nebula » Oct 28th, 2012, 7:01 pm

kompili wrote:that's what I said, don't worry, everything is normal, go back to sleep

Yup, don't worry.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
User avatar
Nebula
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16288
Likes: 18 posts
Liked in: 124 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2005, 9:52 am
Location: Puzzle Palace

Re: Earthquake hits Queen Charlottes ?

Postby kompili » Oct 28th, 2012, 7:11 pm

62 total earthquakes on the Queen Charlotte Islands since last night
We Have Been Conditioned To See Only What They Want Us To See.
User avatar
kompili
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11112
Likes: 506 posts
Liked in: 499 posts
Joined: Jul 30th, 2009, 12:10 am
Location: Unknown

Re: Earthquake hits Queen Charlottes ?

Postby Nebula » Oct 28th, 2012, 7:13 pm

kompili wrote:62 total earthquakes on the Queen Charlotte Islands since last night

And your point is?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
User avatar
Nebula
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16288
Likes: 18 posts
Liked in: 124 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2005, 9:52 am
Location: Puzzle Palace

Re: Earthquake hits Queen Charlottes ?

Postby Frisk » Oct 28th, 2012, 7:29 pm

Aftershocks are totally normal following a large quake. They will continue for the next few weeks as the plates settle into the new position.
Life goes on
User avatar
Frisk
Guru
 
Posts: 7059
Likes: 2345 posts
Liked in: 1598 posts
Joined: Apr 24th, 2011, 9:32 am
Location: West Kelowna

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests