B.C. teen arrested for photographing mall takedown

sobrohusfat
Guru

Re: B.C. teen arrested for photographing mall takedown

Post by sobrohusfat »

Were the mall security guys doing something they shouldn't have been doing at the time the pics were taken? It doesn't seem so.

Were they not in the middle of something that was being well witnessed by a few people other than the stupid photographer? - not exactly a "AHAAA...caught on tape" moment. Just one where the adrenalin is already pumping and there's this dude refusing to comply and stop with the pictures. I don't think i would have bothered with the twit myself but in that moment i do understand the impulse to introduce his face to the tiles. It could have been worse.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

sobrohusfat wrote:Were the mall security guys doing something they shouldn't have been doing at the time the pics were taken? It doesn't seem so.

Were they not in the middle of something that was being well witnessed by (i assume) a few people other than the stupid photographer? - not exactly a "AHAAA...caught on tape" moment. Just one where the adrenalin is already pumping and there's this dude refusing to comply and stop with the pictures. I don't think i would have bothered with the twit myself but in that moment i do understand the impulse to introduce his face to the tiles. It could have been worse.

so kids taking pictures in a mall should be beat by mall security?
breaking no laws?
damn ya a few muscle monkeys should beat him, darn kid.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Little beating never hurt anybody.

ya get them while they are young and cant run fast or fight back i suppose
like the one legged dude in a wheelchair.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

a few wannabe's in the mall demanding he hand over his property?
good job id say standing up for his rights
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Rights?!? LOL

It was that last snapshot that oozed with his disregard and contempt that got him all the unwanted attention. Hopefully he's just going to be a twit in Canada and not out in the real world.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

sobrohusfat wrote:Rights?!? LOL

It was that last snapshot that oozed with his disregard and contempt that got him all the unwanted attention. Hopefully he's just going to be a twit in Canada and not out in the real world.

so he was using a camera with old style film and the security guards new he took a bad picture?
disregard for who?
as i see it i have seen 1 single picture he took of security taking a man down.
taking pictures last i heard was legal in canada
yes he can be a "twit" here but where ever you live maybe not.
are you in russia or something that you lost or sold out your rights?
thats not the real world man.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

What I'd really like to know is whether or not any area of that privately owned mall is public space to do with as you please or is it areas that are designated for public use under the rules set out by the mall. These would be two totally different things. If it is still basically a private space with rules which I believe it is (and I am not interested enough to go through the work to find out) then what are the laws regarding what the mall can do to enforce it's rules in this space. This kid was warned to stop and didn't. Does anyone actually know the laws regarding this space? Can anyone show us beyond doubt that it is public space (which I doubt) where you can do as you please or is it mall space where they actually have control if they wish (I believe it is). What rights and powers do the mall and security guards actually have. Does anyone on here actually know or is there a lot of assuming going on.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Smurf wrote:What I'd really like to know is whether or not any area of that privately owned mall is public space to do with as you please or is it areas that are designated for public use under the rules set out by the mall. These would be two totally different things. If it is still basically a private space with rules which I believe it is (and I am not interested enough to go through the work to find out) then what are the laws regarding what the mall can do to enforce it's rules in this space. This kid was warned to stop and didn't. Does anyone actually know the laws regarding this space? Can anyone show us beyond doubt that it is public space (which I doubt) where you can do as you please or is it mall space where they actually have control if they wish (I believe it is). What rights and powers do the mall and security guards actually have. Does anyone on here actually know or is there a lot of assuming going on.

Smurf, private property owners can make any rules they want. They can tell you that you cannot wear a clown nose if they want. The distinction is "rules" vs "laws". If you are wearing a clown nose,they can only ask you to remove it or leave, that is all. They cannot physically remove it from let alone take you down. If you refuse to leave,they can call the police, not assault you. The police involment would not be for breaking the "rule" of no clown noses, it would be for the "law" of creating a public disturbance. It is important to note that one can create a public disturbance while on private property hence the term "public space".
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Ken7 wrote:Great to see some of you did your homework.

Fact is the kid did nothing wrong by law. The RCMP in this case may have arrived when there was a disturbance. They therefore took action by removing the youth from the mall and further preventing the disturbance from continuing.

Once the RCMP determined what occurred, they appear to have done the proper thing.

Sent the youth on his way.

They might have even had a coffee with the Mall Clowns and explained to them, what their rights were in the event this type of incident occurred again.

I think you are giving the cops a free ride on this one. They were called for a disturbance. The handcuffed kid was removed. So far so good. Where they screw up imo, is in using a razor knife to cut the kids backpack off because he was handcuffed and proceed to search it!! Why? The only reason that would justify such action would be if the kid had been accused of breaking the law via shoplifting, not breaking a mall rule of no pics. They had no reason to see the camera......their only duty was to remove the disturbance. Lastly, they did not just send him on his way when they determined what had occurred. He was formally arrested. That will remain on his record. Charges were not persued but that was probably because a superior or the crown realized the whole course of events was an eff up that best be put to rest asap
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

twobits wrote:

Smurf, private property owners can make any rules they want. They can tell you that you cannot wear a clown nose if they want. The distinction is "rules" vs "laws". If you are wearing a clown nose,they can only ask you to remove it or leave, that is all. They cannot physically remove it from let alone take you down. If you refuse to leave,they can call the police, not assault you. The police involment would not be for breaking the "rule" of no clown noses, it would be for the "law" of creating a public disturbance. It is important to note that one can create a public disturbance while on private property hence the term "public space".

Can you please show me something that shows they so not have the right to detain you, especially when they have warned you to stop and you don't. Or are you just guessing at what you are saying like I am. Do you know for absolute certanty that they did not ask him to leave the mall and he didn't. Or are we all grasping at straws here.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

grammafreddy wrote:You can "get it as straight" as you like. You gonna try and tell me NOBODY takes pics on their cellphones at that mall? Do the security guys stop every kid with a cell phone taking a pic of their friends and demand they delete their pics?

You also gonna tell me no parent has ever taken a pic of their kid on Santa's knee at Christmas at that mall because some sign somewhere says they can't? What're the security guys gonna do then? Accost the parents and demand they delete those pics of their kids with Santa? Call the cops and take them away in handcuffs?

I'm sure photographs are taken in Metrotown, but it's certainly not operationally reasonable to send security after every one that the CCTV operators observe. And then there's the ones that nobody is witness to.

But that does not mean that you're allowed to take photographs in Metrotown. Further, the reason why there's a photographer at many (particularly, in this case, Metrotown's) Santa Claus exhibit is so that patrons do not take photographs inside.

keith1612 wrote:
so kids taking pictures in a mall should be beat by mall security?
breaking no laws?
damn ya a few muscle monkeys should beat him, darn kid.

The kid was arrested for causing a disturbance. He may not have been charged, but he was arrested for committing a crime. Your allegation that he did nothing illegal seems like it already has holes in it, and we only have one, potentially biased side of the story.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

id love to turn the tables on these clowns beat em down and restrain em .. maybe take a sharp knife out around there throats .. do that to a young kid for taking a picture ? lucky it wasnt someone with the power to do something about it ..

this is just another example of the wolf wearing the sheeps clothes
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

FreeRights wrote:The kid was arrested for causing a disturbance. He may not have been charged, but he was arrested for committing a crime. Your allegation that he did nothing illegal seems like it already has holes in it, and we only have one, potentially biased side of the story.

The kid was initially arrested (detained) by the security guards. What gave them the power to do that?
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

theyeti wrote:id love to turn the tables on these clowns beat em down and restrain em .. maybe take a sharp knife out around there throats .. do that to a young kid for taking a picture ? lucky it wasnt someone with the power to do something about it ..

this is just another example of the wolf wearing the sheeps clothes

So you're against security assaulting a kid, but you're for the kid murdering security guards?

36Drew wrote:The kid was initially arrested (detained) by the security guards. What gave them the power to do that?

Security, just like all private citizens in Canada, have the capability of conducting citizens arrests. Causing a disturbance and, if it went that far, assault by trespass are both offenses that private citizens can arrest for.

Detaining someone and arresting someone are two different things. Private citizens cannot detain, and the security in this case did not detain.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

no im for neither but if two or three guards r gonna do that to a young kid maybe 2 or 3 of my burly buddies should grab one of these gaurds and hold them down take there phone and id and cut there clothing off of them all on private proerty of course cuz that makes it better rite ..

Return to “B.C.”