B.C. teen arrested for photographing mall takedown

noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Re: B.C. teen arrested for photographing mall takedown

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

The reason I say that is I had read somewhere that all tools available for defence are extended to all parties. If they can film...
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

noneofyourbiz3 wrote:The reason I say that is I had read somewhere that all tools available for defence are extended to all parties. If they can film...

You may be right if they were to enter their video as evidence in a trial, however, that's not the case so that argument is moot. At the most it may just limit their ability to use it as evidence against someone and only then if the defendant could not use video to argue his innocence because someone in the mall had stopped him. The policy of no photography would not be an enough to trigger that argument.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

First, I'm referring specifically to the arrest made by the mall security (not the police). Yes, they did effect an arrest. Second, you can be damned skippy that if I were in that situation, I would have resisted (mall security) to my heart's content knowing that they didn't have a case. I would have gladly surrendered to the police, as they have a far greater power to arrest. I would have also insisted on laying charges after explaining my position to the officers.

If I were a bystander in this very situation, I would have assisted in subduing mall security and in fact attempt to arrest them myself (and explaining myself to the officers).

Call anybody a Philadelphia lawyer all you like - it's not your place to suggest how one lawfully behaves save for the fact that they behave lawfully. (ie., Don't insist that I give up my rights just because you would).

For some rason, I think we should post your full name as when I read about you being charged I'll say "Hey, I know this guy as he used to post on Castanet."

You might want to learn the law before you try taking it into your own hands...I did not for a moment suggest the Mall Security acted according to law.

But I have said, that would not be the time or place to argue fact of law.
Keep these words in mind!!
noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

unless you feel for your safety and then what?
noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

we just learned the public cant arrest him for this alleged crime. So if you bum rush him.....
Last edited by noneofyourbiz3 on Nov 7th, 2012, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

my understanding is he would then have the right to defend himself if he felt he was threatened.
noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

and I guess in your mistaking you could arrest him if you do more than a summary offence he could then arrest you.
noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

and assault is what type of charge?
noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Confucius
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

36Drew wrote:Causing a disturbance is a summary offence. Private individuals cannot arrest for that.

But they can arrest for any dual or hybrid offense, which is a summary that may be tried as an indictable.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

noneofyourbiz3 wrote:and I guess in your mistaking you could arrest him if you do more than a summary offence he could then arrest you.

Do a little research instead of just jumping on the bandwagon of what other people say.

Many summary offenses can be tried as indictable offenses - these are called dual, or hybrid offenses.

Citizen's arrest applies to indictable and dual/hybrid offenses.

The citizen does not have to determine what the offense would be tried as, as long as it applies to a summary or hybrid offense.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

whens the last time u heard of a citzens arrest ??try it pal next time the bank gets robbed or a drug dealers house gets shot up . run over there and arrest the bad guy let me know how it works out for u
noneofyourbiz3
Übergod

Post by noneofyourbiz3 »

theyeti wrote:whens the last time u heard of a citzens arrest ??try it pal next time the bank gets robbed or a drug dealers house gets shot up . run over there and arrest the bad guy let me know how it works out for u

We all arent *bleep*. I have in the past been involved in such instances. I took an oath to protect those who cant protect themselves. Wheres your stand? Yeah..likely not goint to head into a robbery but if Im say on a patio and some guy starts punching you in the face while you do nothing. I will be involved. Seen it and been there.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

there r real gangsters in this city , the idjut who robs 7_11 and the guy whos made millions in the gang bangin r different beasts
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

theyeti wrote:whens the last time u heard of a citzens arrest ??try it pal next time the bank gets robbed or a drug dealers house gets shot up . run over there and arrest the bad guy let me know how it works out for u

Loss prevention officers who work plainclothed in retailers across the country do it on a daily basis.

Return to “B.C.”