BC health care workers vote to strike

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: BC health care workers vote to strike

Post by grammafreddy »

Jeckle wrote:Just a little perspective from one of "them". (me)
I make less per hour now than I did when I started almost 11 years ago.
We lost 15% of our wages back in 2003, and last contract we lost holiday days. Why do we have to keep going backwards?
Now they want us to pay for 25% of our benefits?
That is a huge loss, I doubt anyone would be happy to sign on to that.

I don't suppose it would have occurred to you that perhaps your contract was just a little too sweet before? Too many sick days and holiday days, too many benefits you got for nothing, too many perks, too much money?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

man i would be overjoyed with benefits at a small 25% of the cost.
i have to pay 100% of mine and i guess 75% of someone else's it appears
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

keith1612 wrote:man i would be overjoyed with benefits at a small 25% of the cost.
i have to pay 100% of mine and i guess 75% of someone else's it appears

Actually, it looks like you (and I) are paying 100% of someone else's - and more than just this one someone else, too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Good point GF. No one pays for my benefits but me, let them strike
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
greylady

Post by greylady »

Just a note: "Benefits" are bought and paid for by the (union/association) worker who takes a lesser amount in a pay packet to "pay" for the benefits you seem to think the "employer" takes out of HIS pocket!!

Now hear this: The worker's 'union (or association or collective or whatever) may negotiate a 'package' that is 3% and agreed to by the employer. The (union) membership decides that they want 1% of the 'package' to go into sick leave; 1% to go into a retirement fund and 1% added to their paycheque. Ergo... 'benefits' are paid for BY THE EMPLOYEE. No cost to the employer. BECAUSE they have agreed to the 3% that keeps them above their bottom line. Kapish?

Been there. Negotiated that.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

flamingfingers wrote:Just a note: "Benefits" are bought and paid for by the (union/association) worker who takes a lesser amount in a pay packet to "pay" for the benefits you seem to think the "employer" takes out of HIS pocket!!

Now hear this: The worker's 'union (or association or collective or whatever) may negotiate a 'package' that is 3% and agreed to by the employer. The (union) membership decides that they want 1% of the 'package' to go into sick leave; 1% to go into a retirement fund and 1% added to their paycheque. Ergo... 'benefits' are paid for BY THE EMPLOYEE. No cost to the employer. BECAUSE they have agreed to the 3% that keeps them above their bottom line. Kapish?

no matter how you change the words its all the same.
taxpayers are paying the bill.
nothing is paid for by the employee.
want to save the taxpayers of BC money, dont ask and ask for more.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

it is laughable when the finger pointing is directed at the lowest rung of the totem pole when it comes to government compensation. where were you all in your outrage at the compensation package of the MLAs golden handshake, the CEOs of crown corporations, the upper managers of the same crown corps, the DMs of the various ministries...

and for you "business" tycoons, stop bitching because you are too cheap or too stupid to take care of your retirement years or give benefits that are meaningful... to yourself!
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Logitack wrote:it is laughable when the finger pointing is directed at the lowest rung of the totem pole when it comes to government compensation. where were you all in your outrage at the compensation package of the MLAs golden handshake, the CEOs of crown corporations, the upper managers of the same crown corps, the DMs of the various ministries...

and for you "business" tycoons, stop bitching because you are too cheap or too stupid to take care of your retirement years or give benefits that are meaningful... to yourself!

yes i guess you have a point, because they are the smallest pigs at the trough its ok.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

flamingfingers wrote:Just a note: "Benefits" are bought and paid for by the (union/association) worker who takes a lesser amount in a pay packet to "pay" for the benefits you seem to think the "employer" takes out of HIS pocket!!

Where does the employee's pay come from when they are a public employee and the employer is the government?

Am working on this "kapish?" thing.

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

normaM wrote:Good point GF. No one pays for my benefits but me, let them strike

Actually, it was keith1612's excellent point, not mine.

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I really hate when people pull out their "I pay your salary/benefits/whatever" cards.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

No, I don't "kapish".

What is this 3%? A 3% increase? An increase of what? An increase on their pay package? Whose pay package? Who pays that pay package? The employer? Whose bottom line? Who establishes what a bottom line is?

If the employer pays that 3% increase to the employee, how can you say there is no cost to the employer? The way I read what you are saying, there is a 3% increase that the employer is paying to the employee, although that increase may be split into different directions.

And, in the case of public employees, that employer is the government and they get their money to pay their employees from the taxpayer, so the taxpayer is paying for these wages and benefits and days off and holidays.

SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

If I have to go to the hospital for an operation or if I'm having a baby or if I'm in an accident and am injured and have to stay at the hospital for weeks, who pays for that ?
Will everyone be upset at me because YOU are paying for it ?
Hmmm ....
Last edited by SmokeOnTheWater on Nov 4th, 2012, 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Captain Awesome wrote:I really hate when people pull out their "I pay your salary/benefits/whatever" cards.

and its incorrect?
who pays government employee's wages?
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

SmokeOnTheWater wrote:If I have to go to the hospital for an operation or if I'm having a baby or if I'm in an accident and am injured and have to stay at the hospital for weeks, who pays for that ?
Will everyone be upset at me because YOU are paying for it.
Hmmm ....

i might be if you started demanding a private room and a free phone etc.

Return to “B.C.”