BC RCMP video - Yay for them!

MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: BC RCMP video - Yay for them!

Post by MAPearce »

Gutsy statement MaPearce. You wouldn't be able to hear yourself think over the cacaphony of complaint and blowback that would erupt if the RCMP were to put out a video attempting to attract or [as you put it] woo heterosexual female members. Surely you didn't mean that .... at the exclusion of those who are not heterosexual did you? Also, don't you think that the sheer number aspect of female members who have joined in the civil action against the Force, is something we ought to be careful about drawing any conclusions on. I am not suggesting that all, or any particular number of the complaints are bogus or without merit, because obviously there will be some that are more than justified. On the other hand, it is not unusual for people to join in on "class action" civil suits when they have no real basis for complaint in the first place. Only the review and testing of the evidence for each case will reveal the credibility of the individual claims. Only then will we know how much was real and how much was fabrication or exageration by opportunists.

Very true..But atleast you accept that it , MOST LIKELY , has ,or does , happen.

Thats enought to warrant thought on my comment.

And I'm used to the "blow back "..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

MAPearce wrote:

I'm not "witch hunting"..... But unless your head has been in the sand and you've missed the latest "problem" to plague the RCMP , it would only seem right to include ALL people regardless of gender OR sexual preference in their recuitment vids...NO ??

Gay people get respect but straight women get there *bleep* pinched ???

Just sayin...

Did you even watch the video? It's not a recruiting video at all.

But you're not a witch hunt at all. No one would have ever just expected a "good for them" out of you.

Just sayin......
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

I would say that if and when the RCMP participate in a video AND it is for a purpose such as to join in the effort to stop bullying, or any other issue for the public good, then more power to them. On the other hand, the use of videos for public consumption, designed to influence the opinion of the public as pertains to the Force's internal problems would be a bad thing! No organization should go to the media to air their problems. They should communicate with their employees and let the results do the talking.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

Treblehook wrote:I would say that if and when the RCMP participate in a video AND it is for a purpose such as to join in the effort to stop bullying, or any other issue for the public good, then more power to them. On the other hand, the use of videos for public consumption, designed to influence the opinion of the public as pertains to the Force's internal problems would be a bad thing! No organization should go to the media to air their problems. They should communicate with their employees and let the results do the talking.

And what problems are they airing?
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Treblehook wrote:
MAPearce wrote:Seems that members have to be male or gay to get "gender equailty" theses days.....

Sure the sexual harassment allegations are just that ,(allegations ) right now however the sheer number of them would indicate to me that the RCMP might want to make a video aimed at wooing hetro sexual female members...

Gutsy statement MaPearce. You wouldn't be able to hear yourself think over the cacaphony of complaint and blowback that would erupt if the RCMP were to put out a video attempting to attract or [as you put it] woo heterosexual female members. Surely you didn't mean that .... at the exclusion of those who are not heterosexual did you? Also, don't you think that the sheer number aspect of female members who have joined in the civil action against the Force, is something we ought to be careful about drawing any conclusions on. I am not suggesting that all, or any particular number of the complaints are bogus or without merit, because obviously there will be some that are more than justified. On the other hand, it is not unusual for people to join in on "class action" civil suits when they have no real basis for complaint in the first place. Only the review and testing of the evidence for each case will reveal the credibility of the individual claims. Only then will we know how much was real and how much was fabrication or exageration by opportunists.

so more or less what you are saying is when say the RCMP ask for victims to come forward in the boy scouts etc after years they must be mostly fake as its a scam?
perhaps maybe its just plain and true that there is abuse?
man what a shock that would be.
what a hypocrytical system we have that they are above judgement .
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Treblehook wrote:I would say that if and when the RCMP participate in a video AND it is for a purpose such as to join in the effort to stop bullying, or any other issue for the public good, then more power to them. On the other hand, the use of videos for public consumption, designed to influence the opinion of the public as pertains to the Force's internal problems would be a bad thing! No organization should go to the media to air their problems. They should communicate with their employees and let the results do the talking.

so you think they should hide and cover from the public corruption?
wouldnt a true open system be better?
i think if the force was truly open and fair there would be no need to make a video.
thats why i consider it a PR video with all the bad press going on.
its all timing.
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

keith1612 wrote:
i find it truly humorous that the only people who seem to demand the rights to full innocence until proven guilty are police officers.
ohhh so all the woman officers accusing the force of bullying are now gold diggers scamming the system.
the old boys club appears strong and as unfaltering as ever.

I am not demanding anything of the sort. What I am suggesting is simple...cash makes people jump on ban wagons (civil law suits) right quick. If the evidence is there regarding these claims then let it come out... but until it does do not ASSUME there has been any sort of harassment because until then these are simply allegations.
Thats not the "old boys club" its called due process and an examination of the the evidence available....after all thats what we do right?
Some of the claims, and yes I have read them are far fetched to say the least. That said they will be investigated to the letter, because again that is what we do.
The flip side to this is when there are allegations made with no evidence to support said allegations....what can be done? A lot of these allegations are of this make. No notes, evidence, witnesses or persons that were told about the allegations until after other allegations were made. I have to tell you...as police officers...that is not how we are trained. Cops are trained to document EVERYTHING. I am not saying all cops do it but it would be reasonable to think a cop that was harassed in any way at work, one time or numerous times would document it to the hilt as that is how we are trained. This is not the case in many of the allegations being put forth.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Gotta ask ya TM (and the other members who post here) - as a police officer, if you witnessed sexual abuse or bullying of a fellow female (or male) police officer by their superior, would you report it? And to whom would you report it if that superior was also your superior?

Do you know of any cases in the Kelowna detachment that happened but didn't get reported?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

grammafreddy wrote:Gotta ask ya TM (and the other members who post here) - as a police officer, if you witnessed sexual abuse or bullying of a fellow female (or male) police officer by their superior, would you report it? And to whom would you report it if that superior was also your superior?

Do you know of any cases in the Kelowna detachment that happened but didn't get reported?

Simple answer. If I witnessed something I would 1st talk to the member who I felt was being harassed. Harassment is only harassment if the person being harassed feels they are being harassed. The choice to report it IMO would rest with the person who was being harassed...if that were the case. I would make notes on what I witnessed and on the conversation I had with the member regardless of the members take on it was. The theory here being is if I noticed it and felt it was harassment it was note worthy. I guess it would go from there. If it was decided it was harassment and needed to be reported I would report it to my supervisor. If the person doing the harassing was my supervisor I would report it to another supervisor or to the CO. There are many many many people who this could be reported to.
I have never witnessed harassment at any detachment I have worked.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

seems the RCMP are the whipping boy of choice of late.
I hate ugly shoes and people who blow their nose in public, but I don't go on and on and on
Like anyone complaining would call who, Domino's if they had an emergency?
Honestly, I have ADD ( authority attention disorder) but still - I don't get the malice
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I don't get the malice, either, Norma - but I suspect it has a lot to do with someone getting stopped/ticketed/fined/jailed for something they did and thinking they should not have been because they think laws apply to other people but not to them. My ex was like that - he could do wrong and be madder than hell when he got stopped/called on it - but if someone else wronged him the same way, he sure got mad about that, too. The goose and the gander didn't apply to him as far as he was concerned.

I kinda like ugly shoes. Blowing noses in public with a Kleenex is okay, farmer style is majorly gross. And so is spitting in public.

Have you noticed that more teenage girls are now doing that spitting on the street thing these days? Eeeewwww.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

normaM wrote:seems the RCMP are the whipping boy of choice of late.
I hate ugly shoes and people who blow their nose in public, but I don't go on and on and on
Honestly, I have ADD ( authority attention disorder) but still - I don't get the malice

Yes it this seems to the be the case. In some cases it is deserved, in most it is not. No organization is perfect just as no person is perfect. The RCMP IMO has been the whipping boy far too long and its really getting old.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

normaM wrote:seems the RCMP are the whipping boy of choice of late.

ya i suppose it has nothing to do with the assaults, sexual harassment complaints, deaths from drinking driving etc.
they have been putting themselves in the lime light and then acting like its not deserved.
sorry i feel those who enforce the rules and laws in Canada should be held to higher expectations and when they break the rules i feel should receive double the punishment ordinary people would.
unfortunatly its the opposite the ones making the rules get a slap on the wrist or nothing when caught and honestly alot of people are getting sick of that.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Trunk-Monkey wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:Gotta ask ya TM (and the other members who post here) - as a police officer, if you witnessed sexual abuse or bullying of a fellow female (or male) police officer by their superior, would you report it? And to whom would you report it if that superior was also your superior?

Simple answer. If I witnessed something I would 1st talk to the member who I felt was being harassed. Harassment is only harassment if the person being harassed feels they are being harassed. The choice to report it IMO would rest with the person who was being harassed...if that were the case. I would make notes on what I witnessed and on the conversation I had with the member regardless of the members take on it was. The theory here being is if I noticed it and felt it was harassment it was note worthy. I guess it would go from there. If it was decided it was harassment and needed to be reported I would report it to my supervisor. If the person doing the harassing was my supervisor I would report it to another supervisor or to the CO. There are many many many people who this could be reported to.
I have never witnessed harassment at any detachment I have worked.

actually i disagree with that statement, you know what harassment is and no matter if the person be harassed accepts it is it not still wrong?
i never got mad if another kid in school called me *bleep* etc because i knew i wasnt and it was the way boys behaved, so did that make it ok?
kind of hard to say bullying is bad if you then say well it depends on how the person being bullied takes it.
more or less what you are saying is the only way it would have been reported was if the person being harassed made a formal complaint as you all would ignore it otherwise.
if you watch the reports from the harassed officers they say the minute they complained they wer 100% shunned so their only real option was to pretend it was all ok.
sounds to me no different than school yard bullying.
Trunk-Monkey
Übergod

Post by Trunk-Monkey »

keith1612 wrote:
ya i suppose it has nothing to do with the assaults, sexual harassment complaints, deaths from drinking driving etc.
they have been putting themselves in the lime light and then acting like its not deserved.
sorry i feel those who enforce the rules and laws in Canada should be held to higher expectations and when they break the rules i feel should receive double the punishment ordinary people would.
unfortunatly its the opposite the ones making the rules get a slap on the wrist or nothing when caught and honestly alot of people are getting sick of that.

So all of this is the RCMPs fault how. I fail to see how the RCMP have put themselves in the lime light. Have some members put themselves in a bad light...yes and yes these member represent the force but as the old saying goes it only takes a few bad apples right....that statement could not be further from the truth. Curerently there are approx 26000 members across Canada etc. So by mere numbers and law of averages and the news media...of course problems with members will be BLOWN OUT OF PROPORTION. Not all but IMO most.
Police do not make the rules...we follow them and enforce them. And I dont think members have been given a slap on the wrist. Many members going through whatever problem there is usually get worse punishment then most non members simply because they are open not only a criminal process (if applicable) but an internal code of conduct form or punishment. There are not too many jobs where that double wammy applies. So IMO your statement is incorrect, members do not get a slap on the wrist in most cases.

Return to “B.C.”