Temporary Mexican workers at Timmies?

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Temporary Mexican workers at Timmies?

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

keith1612 wrote:It should be easy to understand people need to be paid enough to support the cost of living in their areas.
Anyone with any iq knows you won't rent a house and support any family in Vernon or kelowna on $10-12 a hr.

Anyone with any IQ also knows that many job positions are best suited to younger workers, as in those just starting out and often still living with mom and dad.

Anyone with any IQ also would know that there are many many people who get by in this area by sharing expenses such as housing and utilities. After all roommates isn't a new concept, and one that is even more common in higher priced living accommodation areas such as the Okanagan.

It pretty much boils down to living within ones means, and if one aspires to higher goals then their life choices such as education and career play an integral role.

No employer is obligated to ensure that you can afford to live in a beach house and support a family. Some of those decisions are up to the individual and if you can't afford something then you need to look at other options. If you can't afford a house, then look at apartments and basement suites, just as many other people do.

Your posts and opinions suggest you're one of those folk who seems to feel everyone is entitled to certain things such as home ownership. Indeed they are, if they make the correct choices, but remember that there are millions of people who do not own a home, and some may never. You can hardly pin that on an orchardist or pizza parlor owner though, as you have done.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

keith1612 wrote:Anyone with any iq knows you won't rent a house and support any family in Vernon or kelowna on $10-12 a hr.

$10/hour wages are not meant for people who have to provide for families and rent houses. Those wages are for students, youth workers, part time gigs for extra income, etc. People get these jobs, and start with them - they don't live off them their entire lives, they don't provide for their families while making $10/hour, they finish school and get a better job, move to a bigger city, and start their careers. Anyone who thinks these jobs should provide for their families and take care of you into retirement should get their head checked.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

why is ok to pay a young worker nothing ?? thats what child labour is all about
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

Captain Awesome wrote:
keith1612 wrote:Anyone with any iq knows you won't rent a house and support any family in Vernon or kelowna on $10-12 a hr.

$10/hour wages are not meant for people who have to provide for families and rent houses. Those wages are for students, youth workers, part time gigs for extra income, etc. People get these jobs, and start with them - they don't live off them their entire lives, they don't provide for their families while making $10/hour, they finish school and get a better job, move to a bigger city, and start their careers. Anyone who thinks these jobs should provide for their families and take care of you into retirement should get their head checked.

You make a good point, and I agree, but more and more, those jobs that used to pay reasonable money are inching their way towards that $10 - $12/hr threshold, and with manufacturing and industry being shipped offshore to China and other third world countries, all that ends up remaining are low wage, low skill jobs. That's one of the reasons you see people leaving places like the Okanagan en masse for Alberta, where industry still exists.

Bringing in foreign workers to replace the people who can't afford to live on the low paying jobs doesn't help. It just hammers the overall wages in the region down as costs continue to rise. Next thing you know, all our industry is outsourced, and all our labor is imported. Then what?
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

Captain Awesome wrote:

Right...and that is why we have some many jobs in our area that pay much more, correct?
It is a fantasy world to believe that $10/hr jobs are only for "students, youth workers, part time gigs for extra income, etc " and I am sure the people trapped in these jobs would love for you to tell them the good news.
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Alvis wrote:Right...and that is why we have some many jobs in our area that pay much more, correct?
It is a fantasy world to believe that $10/hr jobs are only for "students, youth workers, part time gigs for extra income, etc " and I am sure the people trapped in these jobs would love for you to tell them the good news.

I guess there's a reason some positions are considered unskilled or entry level, just as there's schools and training facilities for good cause.

I'm also fairly certain that for Mexicans who were trapped in $5 a day jobs, or much less, the ability to earn at least $10hr is good news, not that the figure is particularly accurate in the first place, given that competent orchard workers can easily earn beyond that.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

theyeti wrote:even when i was homeless i wouldnt have taken work at one of these orchards .. there r way better opportunities to be had u just have to make your own . and take a few chances never gonna get anything for u if u spend all your time working for someone else

And those opportunities were the ones that got you in front of a judge weren't they? Something about dime bags and undercover officers as I recall. Think I would choose apples first but hey, that would mean I had to actually (choke choke) work.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
Alvis wrote:Right...and that is why we have some many jobs in our area that pay much more, correct?

I guess there's a reason some positions are considered unskilled or entry level, just as there's schools and training facilities for good cause.

I'm also fairly certain that for Mexicans who were trapped in $5 a day jobs, or much less, the ability to earn at least $10hr is good news, not that the figure is particularly accurate in the first place, given that competent orchard workers can easily earn beyond that.

You should do a bit more research, competent orchard workers are paid $9.55 a hr
It's great you feel the answer to a successful business is pay workers low enough they need to have multiple people to pay rent or hire Mexicans.
I believe in a fair living wage not cheating workers into 12 he days with no overtime for pathetic pay.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

keith1612 wrote:
I would love to see the day you whine when the Tim hortons window is closed because nobody can work there and pay rent.
Ohh ya I forgot import slaves, everyone is now happy

The reason Tim Hortons will close under your form of business model is because no one will pay the 5 bucks required for a cup of plain coffee to support the 20-30/hr wage you want to pay.
You stated in an earlier post that you paid part time drivers 23/hr. Very kind of you but look what that largese has possibly contributed to...... You've had to close up your business and sell your house and move to Alberta. Your perogative, your consequence.
The reality is that there will always be min wage jobs. Certain industries simply cannot afford more without pricing themselves out of the marketplace. Ask an apple grower. The thing people fail to realize is that these are not, and never were intended to be "career" jobs unless people choose themselves to make them so. These jobs are for the students, entry level to job market, seasonal only, second family income, stop gap between better jobs etc. To take such positions as a career is fine but do not whine about poverty and living expenses when perhaps you should be taking some courses or skills training to achieve a higher paying job. We make our own beds people.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

theyeti wrote:why is ok to pay a young worker nothing ?

Because it doesn't require any skills. Anybody can work at Tim Hortons, you don't need no education (to paraphrase Pink Floyd), you don't need certifications, you don't need experience. It's a job for somebody who doesn't know how to do anything else, practically.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

The good news that yes, we do have jobs that pay more - if you have experience, finished school, got some certification, signed up for a trade. That's how life works - you start at the bottom and you move up. You don't stay at the bottom forever. Even Tim Hortons allows people to advance to management position - with experience.

It's a fantasy to believe that the bottom of the barrel jobs are supposed to provide you and your family into retirement. They never did, and never will. I'm surprised this is news to somebody.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

timmies in lloydminster paid 17 bucks 8 yrs ago
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

keith1612 wrote:You should do a bit more research, competent orchard workers are paid $9.55 a hr

Actually it's you that needs to do some research. There are many seasoned fruit pickers who don't even work by the hour, and earn well over a hundred dollars a day, which according to my math is significantly beyond minimum wage.

Not too long ago one member even mentioned he'd pick twenty bins of apples a day, at fifteen bucks a bin. If he was telling the truth that was three hundred bucks a day. In any case I know the seasoned ones do make decent money, not minimum wage.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

According to the article, wages are 10.25 per hour.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Fancy wrote:According to the article, wages are 10.25 per hour.

I'm also sure that doesn't apply to every worker, just as we have a minimum legislated wage but most in the workforce earn far above that.

Return to “B.C.”