Temporary Mexican workers at Timmies?

keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Temporary Mexican workers at Timmies?

Post by keith1612 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
dogspoiler wrote:I have a job right now CA. There are people that prefer to work and do not have jobs. I would like to see Canadian citizens get the jobs in Canada than see them go to foreigners. Outsourcing has cost us many jobs, now we are just going to import people to work and lose more jobs, You can continue to try and be amussing but this kind of thing is a serious problem.

You might take into consideration that many of these jobs that get outsourced, like working in orchards, cleaning staff, and I guess in this case Timmies, are postions that Canadians don't want and consider themselves too good for. More self esteem in living off the system apparently.

and on the flip side you can consider they are offering less wages to import workers.
maybe canadians dont feel too good for it just we have to pay rent and eat and support wives.
lets turn parts of industrial BC into mexican ghetto's with low wages, thats much better.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

grammafreddy wrote:The way I see this is that if base wages go up to what many consider to be a "living wage" so that everyone can afford to pay for things they want, then it is all negated because the price of "things" will also go up as the manufacturer of those "things" and the provider of those services will have increased costs and raise their prices to absorb them.

In other words, you still won't be able to afford them even though you are taking home more wages.

Woodenhead wrote:This is exactly true. Under the current version of economics, we rely on cheap labour for our standard of living. That's the base of the issues we're always bickering about here.

Near to/or minimum wages jobs will always be here, without them no one would be able to afford day to day goods/services.

So it's important to make wise choices in your career:
1) Choose a job/career that you will enjoy doing.
2) Choose a job/career with future pay growth.

Yes, there is other things to use to decide your career I've picked 2 as starting point.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

keith1612 wrote:
LoneWolf_53 wrote:You might take into consideration that many of these jobs that get outsourced, like working in orchards, cleaning staff, and I guess in this case Timmies, are postions that Canadians don't want and consider themselves too good for. More self esteem in living off the system apparently.

and on the flip side you can consider they are offering less wages to import workers.
maybe canadians dont feel too good for it just we have to pay rent and eat and support wives.
lets turn parts of industrial BC into mexican ghetto's with low wages, thats much better.

Naturally paying slackers fifty bucks an hour to pick fruit is the way to go, since obviously you have zero qualms about paying $100 a pound for apples or cherries. Yup that's the direction orchardists should go in, uhuh.

If you're counting on orchard work as your career that's your problem.

What I'd like to know, is when some of you bleeding hearts, will finally realize that there will always be jobs that pay at the low end of the scale? You know, those same bleeding heart people, who'd be first to scream blue murder, when the price of produce reflected what you seem to think picking it is worth.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

GordonH wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:The way I see this is that if base wages go up to what many consider to be a "living wage" so that everyone can afford to pay for things they want, then it is all negated because the price of "things" will also go up as the manufacturer of those "things" and the provider of those services will have increased costs and raise their prices to absorb them.

In other words, you still won't be able to afford them even though you are taking home more wages.

Woodenhead wrote:This is exactly true. Under the current version of economics, we rely on cheap labour for our standard of living. That's the base of the issues we're always bickering about here.

Near to/or minimum wages jobs will always be here, without them no one would be able to afford day to day goods/services.

So it's important to make wise choices in your career:
1) Choose a job/career that you will enjoy doing.
2) Choose a job/career with future pay growth.

Yes, there is other things to use to decide your career I've picked 2 as starting point.

me and my wife went to mcdonalds a few days ago $22
ordered pizza yesterday, two mediums $35
ya they cand afford to pay a real wage.
thats the joke,if a company cant pay a worker enough to pay rent,eat,drive a car, then maybe they should shut their doors or stop charging high prices.
go to any mcdonalds and look at the drive throughs and parking lot, they can pay whats needed to live.
bet the owner has no problems filling his ski boat.
and yes i understand thats business but if you dont have employees that are good you have a shoddy company.
service, productivity, no theft, etc are always better in a good work enviroment.
getting rich on the back of slave labor is getting old isnt it?
you cant expect a guy to come to work happy when he cant pay his friggin bills.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

If ya didn't got to McD or order pizza, you might be able to pay your bills and live within a budget.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:

Naturally paying slackers fifty bucks an hour to pick fruit is the way to go, since obviously you have zero qualms about paying $100 a pound for apples or cherries. Yup that's the direction orchardists should go in, uhuh.

If you're counting on orchard work as your career that's your problem.

What I'd like to know, is when some of you bleeding hearts, will finally realize that there will always be jobs that pay at the low end of the scale? You know, those same bleeding heart people, who'd be first to scream blue murder, when the price of produce reflected what you seem to think picking it is worth.

no you are right import mexicans because i wouldnt put my pants on for $9.55 a hr.
wonder how long you would do it, bet not 1 day.
make a guy stand in the sun packing bins for 12 hrs and pay that with no overtime.
ya keep importing workers.
then to make it worse the cheesy owners put them in slave camps.
ya we should be proud of the BC work system.
keep people broke and poor so you get served better in tim hortons.
oh and nobody said $50 a hr hows $18-20
check what the poverty income level is in BC.
hope you tip the guy that gives you your pizza.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

grammafreddy wrote:If ya didn't got to McD or order pizza, you might be able to pay your bills and live within a budget.

lol im doing it because my house is packed to move, bought a house in Alberta.
no i had a business and could afford life.
how many cant?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

keith1612 wrote:me and my wife went to mcdonalds a few days ago $22
ordered pizza yesterday, two mediums $35
ya they cand afford to pay a real wage.
thats the joke,if a company cant pay a worker enough to pay rent,eat,drive a car, then maybe they should shut their doors or stop charging high prices.
go to any mcdonalds and look at the drive throughs and parking lot, they can pay whats needed to live.
bet the owner has no problems filling his ski boat.
and yes i understand thats business but if you dont have employees that are good you have a shoddy company.
service, productivity, no theft, etc are always better in a good work enviroment.
getting rich on the back of slave labor is getting old isnt it?
you cant expect a guy to come to work happy when he cant pay his friggin bills.

Instead of just being green with envy and jealous of the bucketfulls of money you percieve these businesses as making, here's a thought, why don't you go out spend your money on purchasing one of those franchises then come back and tell us how much dough you're rolling in, after you figure out all the costs involved. I mean come on now what's holding you back, according to you it's easy money?

You strike me as though you haven't got the foggiest clue. I wonder if you have any idea, how much one of those small food concessions, at Orchard Park for example, has to come up with in a month, just to pay the rent, never mind multiple shifts of staff to operate the place.

I mean just wow....... :200: ....... you bought a pizza and now you know exactly how everything works. Right!
Last edited by LoneWolf_53 on Nov 18th, 2012, 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:What I'd like to know, is when some of you bleeding hearts, will finally realize that there will always be jobs that pay at the low end of the scale?

Of course there will. And as I said before, they are great for high school students or people who still live with their parents. There are a lot of people who fit that description here, no need to get them from Mexico or any other country. Imported labor is bad for Canada, bad for Canadians, bad for our economy. And don't Quebecers still come here to pick fruit? I know they used to. Or did the pay go down so much even they wouldn't do the work? They may be from Quebec but at least they're Canadian sort of.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Sn0man wrote:
LoneWolf_53 wrote:What I'd like to know, is when some of you bleeding hearts, will finally realize that there will always be jobs that pay at the low end of the scale?

Of course there will. And as I said before, they are great for high school students or people who still live with their parents. There are a lot of people who fit that description here, no need to get them from Mexico or any other country. Imported labor is bad for Canada, bad for Canadians, bad for our economy. And don't Quebecers still come here to pick fruit? I know they used to. Or did the pay go down so much even they wouldn't do the work? They may be from Quebec but at least they're Canadian sort of.

take a look at the orchards, i work around many.
they are owned almost 100% by indo canadians from here to osoyoos.
im not being prejudice im stating its been bought out by a group that sure doesnt over pay.
i dont understand why they dont want good long term workers, i suppose thats why they have to import and abuse from poor countries.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
Instead of just being green with envy and jealous of the bucketfulls of money you percieve these businesses as making, here's a thought, why don't you go out spend your money on purchasing one of those franchises then come back and tell us how much dough you're rolling in, after you figure out all the costs involved. I mean come on now what's holding you back, according to you it's easy money?

You strike me as though you haven't got the foggiest clue. I wonder if you have any idea, how much one of those small food concessions, at Orchard Park for example, has to come up with in a month, just to pay the rent, never mind multiple shifts of staff to operate the place.

I mean just wow....... :200: ....... you bought a pizza and now you know exactly how everything works. Right!

no i dont claim to know how it all works but hiring poverty workers and abusing them isnt the answer.
something tells me you must have a store with some cheap employees.
i was looking for a part time guy not long ago and i wouldnt even consider less than $23-25 a hr, i dont want my truck beat up by a unhappy worker and i dont want to rehire weekly.
pay a decent wage.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

And don't Quebecers still come here to pick fruit?
Makes you wonder why out of towners are required to pick fruit when there are people closer to home that need a job - they just don't want that type of job.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

Fancy wrote:
And don't Quebecers still come here to pick fruit?
Makes you wonder why out of towners are required to pick fruit when there are people closer to home that need a job - they just don't want that type of job.

Never said they were required, I was making an observation.

Each summer, we used to get a lot of backpackers coming through the Okanagan. They would work at the orchards and plant trees during their stay. Who's to say locals wouldn't do the work in their place? Have you tried to hire people to work at an orchard lately and not been able to find any? Do you have any first hand experience with this? Or are you just assuming?
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

orchards were paying 8.90 an hr last time i heard i think min wage went up but still ... i would not dream of applying for that job . id love to learn the craft but thats not a wage i can live off
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Know orchadists and there was a big expose done on the news some time ago - out of work people wouldn't do the job - no takers.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “B.C.”