Temporary Mexican workers at Timmies?

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Temporary Mexican workers at Timmies?

Post by Fancy »

It doesn't look promising for the company that did the hiring and they may have really shot themselves in the foot since now there is a review of the entire foreign worker program.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Thats good.
Black Dogs Matter
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

There should be a complete review. There is time to give workers basic training before these jobs actually open up. The stipulation should be that they speak English no Mandrin.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

They are saying there is a looming crisis in a shortage of skilled workers in BC. We’re going to be importing workers from all over the world (Asia, Europe and the US) to fill positions that could have been filled by under-educated, under-trained welfare recipients already here in BC. It’s not like we haven’t seen this coming for more than ten years. Yes, we can continue to blame “those people” for not taking control of their own destiny. That has worked really well to date and we can continue to pay for that smugness. At least we’ll have more foreign workers paying taxes to help fund our welfare transfers.
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

steven lloyd wrote:They are saying there is a looming crisis in a shortage of skilled workers in BC.

If that's true, it would only be due to the mass exodus of British Columbians to Alberta due to the current lack of work here.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

There seems to be some conflicting news coming from somewhere. Last night on the news they were talking about thousands of jobs that would need filling over the next five years in northwestern BC with no skilled workers to take fill them. De Jong was talking about an already booming construction trend that was just going to continue growing. We have thousands of people on welfare desperate for work but no money to train them. I guess we don't see the return on investment in our own marginalized people as a worthwhile effort (or perhaps it is just ideologically unpopular as they make convenient scapegoats).
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

steven lloyd wrote:De Jong was talking about an already booming construction trend that was just going to continue growing.

I would say that is the source of the conflicting information. If it's coming from the current Government, there's a mighty good chance its a lie.

Not saying there's not a booming construction trend, there is, just not in BC.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

steven lloyd wrote:There seems to be some conflicting news coming from somewhere. Last night on the news they were talking about thousands of jobs that would need filling over the next five years in northwestern BC with no skilled workers to take fill them. De Jong was talking about an already booming construction trend that was just going to continue growing. We have thousands of people on welfare desperate for work but no money to train them. I guess we don't see the return on investment in our own marginalized people as a worthwhile effort (or perhaps it is just ideologically unpopular as they make convenient scapegoats).

of course thats a Liberal election ploy, look we are going to create many jobs.
the truth is all the BC workers in Alberta would work here for a similar wage.
if there is work created up north why arent the wages in the same bracket?
to bring in many workers at $10-15 a hr less is a incredible savings for a sweat shop company.
why did XL meats import workers from Africa etc?
wages, job conditions are a great hint.
and we wonder why our food was bad.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Here's the simple fact. There are unskilled jobs that a Canadian will not do for minimum wage. These jobs will be done by a human being from another country that would jump at the chance to earn our minimum wage. Just because we are lucky enough to live in a great country, why should we be up in arms about giving this foreign worker a chance to support an entire family doing a job no Canadian wants to do. The opportunity for 95% ( I admit not all) of all Canadians to be able to achieve a skill that will give them meaningful employment is out there. It may take some sacrifice and hard work, but its achievable.

Travel the world people, and you'll realize how spoilt and deserving we Canadians can be.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

goatboy wrote:Here's the simple fact. There are unskilled jobs that a Canadian will not do for minimum wage. These jobs will be done by a human being from another country that would jump at the chance to earn our minimum wage. Just because we are lucky enough to live in a great country, why should we be up in arms about giving this foreign worker a chance to support an entire family doing a job no Canadian wants to do. The opportunity for 95% ( I admit not all) of all Canadians to be able to achieve a skill that will give them meaningful employment is out there. It may take some sacrifice and hard work, but its achievable.

Travel the world people, and you'll realize how spoilt and deserving we Canadians can be.

sure but a mine etc in northern BC is far from a low income job.
hey it would help foreign kids if we made factories and paid them $2 a hr and fed them broth is that acceptable?
if you want to bring in skilled foreign workers for a need then pay them the same as our wages and also offer us the same.
most canadians will take fair paid jobs, the unfortunate problem is resturants etc here want to pay squat.
nothing was dumber that creating a training wage and different wage for waitresses.
make the minimum wage enough to pay rent, buy and car and food.
dont import starving people and then abuse and or cheat them.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

keith1612 wrote:make the minimum wage enough to pay rent, buy and car and food.

If the min wage is raised to $40/hour tomorrow, what do you think will happen to rent, car prices, and food prices?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Captain Awesome wrote:
keith1612 wrote:make the minimum wage enough to pay rent, buy and car and food.

If the min wage is raised to $40/hour tomorrow, what do you think will happen to rent, car prices, and food prices?

hmmm someone should suggest that to all the government employee's.
no im not saying $40 a hr but people have to live and eat, you need a society that will substain its workers.
creating a bunch of sub par jobs and bringing in workers and then cheating them isnt going to work.
more and more we are hearing of cheated foreign workers.
i dont know how you fix it but thats not the answer.
maybe thats why all the people are flocking to Alberta, they arent being cheated they are being paid fairly.
i was in Alberta a few days ago and the cost of fast food shocked me, but its probably because they pay fair or better.
every time we raise union rates etc and leave minimum wage down we create a bigger poverty, take you pick.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

keith1612 wrote:i was in Alberta a few days ago and the cost of fast food shocked me, but its probably because they pay fair or better.

Well, now you know what happens to prices of everything when wages go up.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

goatboy wrote:Here's the simple fact. There are unskilled jobs that a Canadian will not do for minimum wage. These jobs will be done by a human being from another country that would jump at the chance to earn our minimum wage.

I'm curious if you've ever tried to live on a minimum wage salary. I have. That was a long time ago though and $1200 would pay my rent, grocery bill, phone bill, cable (no internet back then though), fuel for my car and basic insurance. I could even afford a case of beer now and then.

It's gone up recently, I think to about $1600/month. I'd like to see anyone try to stretch that for a month given what things cost these days.

Minimum wage jobs might still be good enough for high school students getting their first job or maybe college students who live with their parents. You can't make a living on it though, so i'd like to know how a foreigner can fill a minimum wage position and still send money back home - unless they're given free room and board etc while working these jobs. If so, i'm sure there are a number of unskilled Canadian workers who would jump at the opportunity to put away $1600/month while their rent/food/phone/cable/transportation costs are covered.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

[quote="keith1612"
maybe thats why all the people are flocking to Alberta, they arent being cheated they are being paid fairly.
i was in Alberta a few days ago and the cost of fast food shocked me, but its probably because they pay fair or better.
[/quote]

People aren't flocking to Alberta because their being paid fairly, it's the other way around. They have to pay big bucks to attract people to an unpleasant job in an unpleasant environment.

And as far as your second point, how do you think people feel about the cost of fast food that aren't working in the patch?

Return to “B.C.”