Temporary Mexican workers at Timmies?

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Temporary Mexican workers at Timmies?

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Fancy wrote:If there aren't the labourers, the orchardists can go out of business.

Uhuh, and I also wonder if some of the braintrust in this thread, has pondered why the orchard industry has been taken over by other ethnic groups in the first place?

Probably has nothing to do with subsequent generations of anglos, having no desire to get dirty or heaven forbid, break a sweat, nope nothing to do with that at all.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

keith1612 wrote:
ahhh thats it, so to keep orchaedists in business with the huge houses they live in (drive around and look) give them cheap slave labor?
and remember when a crop fails or is poor they get cash from the govt as a subsidy, bet the worker didnt.

I think quite a few of those big fancy homes in orchards belong to someone with more money than brains :D and they don't actually do the farm work. They lease out their orchards to someone else who does all the work and splits the profit with the land owner.

The worker would get subsidized if the wages were low - they'd be able to get free medical and either free or reduced Rx, for starters. Plus they would get HST cheques quarterly and probably most of the income tax they paid back. And when they are not in the orchard (seasonal) they get EI and/or welfare.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

keith1612 wrote:
Fancy wrote:If there aren't the labourers, the orchardists can go out of business.

ahhh thats it, so to keep orchaedists in business with the huge houses they live in (drive around and look) give them cheap slave labor?
and remember when a crop fails or is poor they get cash from the govt as a subsidy, bet the worker didnt.

So how big is your house keith and who'd you take advantage of to get it?

I'm sure the farmers that had to leave their crops on the trees this year, because picking them would have put them in the hole, got huge checks from the government then flew off to the tropics on vacation.

Stereo type much?
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

Fancy wrote:“Are we going to have enough help, and what kind of help are we going to have? Are they going to be productive?” he says, recalling the questions he’d ask. “We used to have around 25 people at one time to take the crop off, because some of them weren’t very fast, and some wouldn’t show up. You’d have 25 and end up maybe with six, and the others wouldn’t come. It was hit and miss, and it just doesn’t work."

Tardiness, laziness and absenteeism aren't traits found in people who's jobs give them an incentive to work hard.

As I mentioned above, the summer backpackers, high school students etc would do this because if they worked hard they could make decent money for a days work. Take that incentive away and replace it with a minimum wage job and crappy working conditions or whatnot and you have a recipe for absenteeism and laziness.

So somewhere along the line, orchardists [and tree planing companies?] removed the incentives for whatever reason. Doing so removed their ability to get good workers. Instead of correcting this, they source out labor from third world countries, further putting downward pressure on wages. This wouldn't be such a big problem but for the fact that the cost of living doesn't go down with it - it just keeps going up.

Don't blame the locals. Blame the companies who don't think their workers deserve a living wage.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:

Uhuh, and I also wonder if some of the braintrust in this thread, has pondered why the orchard industry has been taken over by other ethnic groups in the first place?

Probably has nothing to do with subsequent generations of anglos, having no desire to get dirty or heaven forbid, break a sweat, nope nothing to do with that at all.

you mean the ones known for child sweat shops, abusive labor, poor wages?
hate to say it if thats what the BC orchard industry had to become to succeed then let it go.
i remember when the Vernon council was so excited and proud to bring in a call center in the old far west building, turned out to be a borderline sweat shop and now its gone.
good riddence.
what a joy to bring in low wage poor treatment jobs and then expect others to do it.

?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I'm starting to think that some of the posters here live in a land of imagination and stereotypes with no connections to reality. They operate by shuffling common myths and stereotypes thus making talking to them practically pointless:

- All business owners are rich and make buckets of money
- They pay crap wages, mostly minimum
- All employees forever get stuck in wage slavery with no upward trend in their careers
- Govt pays orchardists money to stay in business and roll in dough
- Nobody can afford anything
- The only way to solve the problem is to increase min wage to the level which allows to feed an entire family, rent, own a vehicle, etc ($20-30/hour)
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I think there's a lot of folks in this thread who haven't been very hungry in their lives.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

well if u cant pay a guy 20 or 30 an hr u must not have that great a business .
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Captain Awesome wrote:I'm starting to think that some of the posters here live in a land of imagination and stereotypes with no connections to reality. They operate by shuffling common myths and stereotypes thus making talking to them practically pointless:

- All business owners are rich and make buckets of money
- They pay crap wages, mostly minimum
- All employees forever get stuck in wage slavery with no upward trend in their careers
- Govt pays orchardists money to stay in business and roll in dough
- Nobody can afford anything
- The only way to solve the problem is to increase min wage to the level which allows to feed an entire family, rent, own a vehicle, etc ($20-30/hour)

Fine do some research and tell us what orchards in the valley pay per hr for a 10-12 ht day
I know do you?
Man I love you guys that make good wages but feel your server only needs poverty or the guy bagging your groceries deserves $8 bucks a hr yet some govt union worker with no more training is getting $30 a hr by the time you count in perks.
I would love to see the day you whine when the Tim hortons window is closed because nobody can work there and pay rent.
Ohh ya I forgot import slaves, everyone is now happy
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

keith1612 wrote:Man I love you guys that make good wages but feel your server only needs poverty or the guy bagging your groceries deserves $8 bucks a hr yet some govt union worker with no more training is getting $30 a hr by the time you count in perks.

I think minimum is higher than $8 now.

Does it not equate to you that if companies had to pay more in wages, they would be increasing their prices, too, at least to the point of what the market will bear? That does not make a win-win. It makes a stalemate. If a worker can't afford to live now, he won't be able to afford it then.

Why are you moving to Alberta? Can you make more money there?

keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

grammafreddy wrote:
keith1612 wrote:Man I love you guys that make good wages but feel your server only needs poverty or the guy bagging your groceries deserves $8 bucks a hr yet some govt union worker with no more training is getting $30 a hr by the time you count in perks.

I think minimum is higher than $8 now.

Does it not equate to you that if companies had to pay more in wages, they would be increasing their prices, too, at least to the point of what the market will bear? That does not make a win-win. It makes a stalemate. If a worker can't afford to live now, he won't be able to afford it then.

Why are you moving to Alberta? Can you make more money there?

No I won't make a lot more myself but I won't have the lack of good employer choices that are here right now.
Sorry I feel if a company can't afford to pay a employee a living wage perhaps they need to reconfigure their plan.
Maybe it's time people cooked at home again if they want poverty people feeding them.
$9.55 to work 12 hr days busting you a$$ with no overtime to me is a joke.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Captain Awesome wrote:I'm starting to think that some of the posters here live in a land of imagination and stereotypes with no connections to reality. They operate by shuffling common myths and stereotypes thus making talking to them practically pointless

People on both sides of the argument are always doing this. Equally.
Your bias suits you.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

It should be easy to understand people need to be paid enough to support the cost of living in their areas.
Anyone with any iq knows you won't rent a house and support any family in Vernon or kelowna on $10-12 a hr.
Try seeing a dentist or mechanic on what's left, your lucky with buying gas alone.
So import Mexicans other foreign workers but don't say it's because the locals are too friggin lazy, they can't live off it.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

even when i was homeless i wouldnt have taken work at one of these orchards .. there r way better opportunities to be had u just have to make your own . and take a few chances never gonna get anything for u if u spend all your time working for someone else
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Woodenhead wrote:People on both sides of the argument are always doing this. Equally.

True.

It's just some of the stereotypes shufflers are more annoying than the others...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “B.C.”