Temporary Mexican workers at Timmies?

not so new to town

Re: Temporary Mexican workers at Timmies?

Post by not so new to town »

Bsuds wrote:
not so new to town wrote:Actually it does not, this is if everybody is agreeing to the harrsament. you seem like a very closeted person whos never worked in an industry where BS'ing with the fellas is a way to pass the time..please stop trying to pick my posts apart your not interpreting my comments correctly. sorry you dont understand. save you keystrokes on this one.

Apparently you have trouble putting your thoughts into words so others can understand.

If the banter is not agreed on by both parties then it is harassment and not acceptable.

is that not what ive been saying, please read the thread
JUST CRUZIN THE BOARD!!!!!!
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Fancy wrote:
not so new to town wrote: to your first question: thats life, in the industries Ive worked for it happens all the time but its more of a joke then it is an actual attack. Answer to question two: never said it was accepted to all or by all, but some people dont care. they like to shoot the you know what with the guys and thats it. if these individuals took it as a racial slur. then I completely agree, there should be steps taken to correct that kind of behavior. it really boils down to (if they are ok) with the said words.

My first question you didn't answer appropriately. Hazing (some call it "initiation") has never been voluntary from any of the experiences I've witnessed or read about. "That's life" is a flip answer but doesn't make it right. Are the participants told about it and what to expect? Seems a lot of organizations have eliminated the hazing part for good reasons.
And unless the ones that are having the slurs made against them started the conversations the same way, then it does come down to unacceptable behaviour - everyone has to be on the same page.

you obviously have a office job and have never experienced the real world on job sites.
yes joking and i guess hazing is 100% the norm and happens all the time and 99.9% of all workers in those trades understand and have fun with it.
its the whiny crybabies that get upset over nothing that make the job site worse.
i suppose thats why some are better selling shoes in a mall than hanging with a group of guys having fun and passing a work day.
givenrfarm
Board Meister

Post by givenrfarm »

So workers that are willing to work for whatever they are paid should have to put up with the name calling and abuse just because they are Mexican? The original thread post was regarding the harrassment they are faced with and the question as to why "temp" workers were working in Tim Horton's to begin with. Last I checked, if you apply for a job, meet qualifications, and do the job right when you get it, it doesn't matter where you're from. If you are at your place of work, and you are being targeted based on race, gender, or sexual orientation, you were being violated of your human rights in Canada. If you rent a home and suddenly the landlord demands more money, they have steps they must take including listing reason for increase and must give three months notice at that. To hell with "hazing". That's just another word for bullying!
Chrome, cowboy boots, and a license does not, a professional driver make!
Horse, cowboy hat, and pick-up truck, does not, a cowboy make!
Twenty grand, twenty miles, and two tattoos, does not, a biker make!
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

givenrfarm wrote:So workers that are willing to work for whatever they are paid should have to put up with the name calling and abuse just because they are Mexican? The original thread post was regarding the harrassment they are faced with and the question as to why "temp" workers were working in Tim Horton's to begin with. Last I checked, if you apply for a job, meet qualifications, and do the job right when you get it, it doesn't matter where you're from. If you are at your place of work, and you are being targeted based on race, gender, or sexual orientation, you were being violated of your human rights in Canada. If you rent a home and suddenly the landlord demands more money, they have steps they must take including listing reason for increase and must give three months notice at that. To hell with "hazing". That's just another word for bullying!

yes i agree, my post is in regards to ordinary having fun on a job site scenario.
not insulting workers racially or sexually or robbing them.
thats something that should not be tolerated.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

not so new to town wrote:thats what i was saying to begin with, I never said it was ok to bully someone just because you can, but when your all on the same page, whats wrong with that? thats what i was getting at. sorry if you misunderstood my post

You did say hazing is ok.

not so new to town wrote:bullying to me is purposely, or having the intent to hurt someone, I feel that hazing on the other hand is mearly poking fun at someone. this would also depend on the context and with the person whom your hazing.

There are people who disagree however and pretty much consider it the same as bullying

http://www.hazingprevention.org/
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Graphite wrote:
not so new to town wrote:thats what i was saying to begin with, I never said it was ok to bully someone just because you can, but when your all on the same page, whats wrong with that? thats what i was getting at. sorry if you misunderstood my post

You did say hazing is ok.

not so new to town wrote:bullying to me is purposely, or having the intent to hurt someone, I feel that hazing on the other hand is mearly poking fun at someone. this would also depend on the context and with the person whom your hazing.

There are people who disagree however and pretty much consider it the same as bullying

http://www.hazingprevention.org/

More whiners crying about life.
Most hazing is all in pure fun, now people are all uptight and politically correct and you think its going to get better?
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

If there was any hazing in my shop, they'd be fired.
I dont care if I had to fire them all.
If they are such that they have to display such juvenile behavior in my employ, I wouldnt want them anyway.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Babbitman wrote:If there was any hazing in my shop, they'd be fired.
I dont care if I had to fire them all.
If they are such that they have to display such juvenile behavior in my employ, I wouldnt want them anyway.

I think a lot of employers would see it this way too, and that is good.
Carmencat
Übergod

Post by Carmencat »

keith1612 wrote:
Carmencat wrote:I know a FF restaurant owner here who a few years ago couldn't get workers - he was paying more than 30% over minimum wage plus benefits and still couldn't get anyone here to fill the jobs, so he brought workers in from the Phillipines. They were great workers and stayed for a few years - were still here when people started coming in begging for jobs they didn't want a few years previously.

Also know an orchardist who brings the same crew in from Mexico every year. He also tries to hire locally but has never found locals to be reliable - they may show up, they may not.

id love to see a FF resturant that pays 30% over minimum, just 1 and benefits lol
and the orchards pay canadians $9.55 a hr to work long hours with no benefits.
when they bring in the mexicans they have to pay flights,food,housing,and benefits, maybe if they offered the same to canadians they would find workers.
id pick apples for a fair wage a flight to and from mexico (i will take the flight when the season is done) pay my rent and buy me lunch daily.
sounds like a great summer job.

Actually my friend was likely paying more than 30% over minimum wage as this was 2006 and he was paying $12/hr and benefits. He brought in outside workers, and when the jobs bubble crashed in 2009 and people came in looking for jobs he already had hired people who wanted to work. Next time I see him I will ask if he still brings in foreign workers. But if it makes you feel better to call me a liar go ahead - it just makes you look stupid.

My orchardist friend paid $13 an hour - this was before the last minimum wage increase - not a bad wage for, say, a student. But they don't want to work that hard. And why on earth would an orchardist pay benefits for a job that only lasts a couple of months? Give your head a shake.
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

Carmencat wrote:
My orchardist friend paid $13 an hour - this was before the last minimum wage increase - not a bad wage for, say, a student. But they don't want to work that hard.

lol - how hard would you work for $13/hr?
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

The employer sounds like a jerk
The Mexicans should not be here
If they don't like it they can leave
Pay enough to get local help or close it
Simple
Black Dogs Matter
albertabound
Board Meister

Post by albertabound »

:sunshine: That is why the mexicans are brought in, sno says how hard you would work fot 13 dollars an hour.Valley people think they are entitled to more , sham on you. :bethecoffee:
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Please enlighten me as to what part of the valley Dawson Creek is in.
Black Dogs Matter
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Sn0man wrote:lol - how hard would you work for $13/hr?

As hard as I'd work for $50 or $100 an hour.

Sooooooooo ... how much should pouring coffee at Timmies be worth an hour? I think $13 is too much. Any dummy can make coffee these days. It takes less brains than that to pour it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Any dummy can do any number of jobs out there, with the pay range being from min wage to making you rich. All I see there is thinly veiled contempt.
Your bias suits you.

Return to “B.C.”