Temporary Mexican workers at Timmies?

goatboy
Guru

Re: Temporary Mexican workers at Timmies?

Post by goatboy »

not so new to town wrote:

Nope, totally against bullying, but i think a little workplace hazzing is ok, I worked the Patch for a few years, it happens more often then not. when I was on a rig, and you couldnt do something, cause you werent strong enough and a guy calls ya a *bleep*, you dont run and tell your rig manager that a guy called ya a *bleep*. like come on in this day and age? its gonna be out there. but I dont agree with bullying.

Can you explain the difference between bullying and hazing then? Harassment at work is also illegal.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

My thought with these workers is that serious breaches occurred (name calling aside). Was rent actually different for these workers than others? Using race related slurs though has had consequences that no one can deny so take your chances there.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

goatboy wrote:

Nope, totally against bullying, but i think a little workplace hazzing is ok, I worked the Patch for a few years, it happens more often then not. when I was on a rig, and you couldnt do something, cause you werent strong enough and a guy calls ya a *bleep*, you dont run and tell your rig manager that a guy called ya a *bleep*. like come on in this day and age? its gonna be out there. but I dont agree with bullying.

Can you explain the difference between bullying and hazing then? Harassment at work is also illegal.

i think his point and i do agree is people are turning into a bunch of politically correct whiny crybabies.
kids pick on other kids , people get bugged at work sometimes.
yes it can and does go too far sometimes but in general people have to learn to take a bit and let it not bother them.
the police and the courts have far bigger issues than wasting time worrying about someones feelings hurt at work.
not so new to town

Post by not so new to town »

goatboy wrote:

bullying to me is purposely, or having the intent to hurt someone, I feel that hazing on the other hand is mearly poking fun at someone. this would also depend on the context and with the person whom your hazing.
JUST CRUZIN THE BOARD!!!!!!
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

bullying to me is purposely, or having the intent to hurt someone, I feel that hazing on the other hand is mearly poking fun at someone. this would also depend on the context and with the person whom your hazing.

So the hazing of one person could be the bullying of another?
not so new to town

goatboy wrote:

So the hazing of one person could be the bullying of another?

ah yeah.... sounds about right....but my opinion is clearly different from yours.

I dont wanna argue though so good chattin with ya but im done for now...gonna go sledding. enjoy your day :sunshine:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

When has hazing been voluntary? When has using racial slurs ever been accepted to all?
not so new to town

Fancy wrote:When has hazing been voluntary? When has using racial slurs ever been accepted to all?

to your first question: thats life, in the industries Ive worked for it happens all the time but its more of a joke then it is an actual attack. Answer to question two: never said it was accepted to all or by all, but some people dont care. they like to shoot the you know what with the guys and thats it. if these individuals took it as a racial slur. then I completely agree, there should be steps taken to correct that kind of behavior. it really boils down to (if they are ok) with the said words.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

not so new to town wrote: to your first question: thats life, in the industries Ive worked for it happens all the time but its more of a joke then it is an actual attack. Answer to question two: never said it was accepted to all or by all, but some people dont care. they like to shoot the you know what with the guys and thats it. if these individuals took it as a racial slur. then I completely agree, there should be steps taken to correct that kind of behavior. it really boils down to (if they are ok) with the said words.

My first question you didn't answer appropriately. Hazing (some call it "initiation") has never been voluntary from any of the experiences I've witnessed or read about. "That's life" is a flip answer but doesn't make it right. Are the participants told about it and what to expect? Seems a lot of organizations have eliminated the hazing part for good reasons.
And unless the ones that are having the slurs made against them started the conversations the same way, then it does come down to unacceptable behaviour - everyone has to be on the same page.
not so new to town

Fancy wrote:
not so new to town wrote: to your first question: thats life, in the industries Ive worked for it happens all the time but its more of a joke then it is an actual attack. Answer to question two: never said it was accepted to all or by all, but some people dont care. they like to shoot the you know what with the guys and thats it. if these individuals took it as a racial slur. then I completely agree, there should be steps taken to correct that kind of behavior. it really boils down to (if they are ok) with the said words.

My first question you didn't answer appropriately. Hazing (some call it "initiation") has never been voluntary from any of the experiences I've witnessed or read about. "That's life" is a flip answer but doesn't make it right. Are the participants told about it and what to expect? Seems a lot of organizations have eliminated the hazing part for good reasons.
And unless the ones that are having the slurs made against them started the conversations the same way, then it does come down to unacceptable behaviour - everyone has to be on the same page.

thats what i was saying to begin with, I never said it was ok to bully someone just because you can, but when your all on the same page, whats wrong with that? thats what i was getting at. sorry if you misunderstood my post
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

but workplace name calling is gonna happen
those are your words. You may expect it but there is no surprise that people will not tolerate racism because it is NOT right.
not so new to town

Fancy wrote:
but workplace name calling is gonna happen
those are your words. You may expect it but there is no surprise that people will not tolerate racism because it is NOT right.

I have been saying that the whole time, its not right, unless everybodies on the same page. did I miss something?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

who cant take a bit of name calling in the work place, unless your in an office (and it even happens there to) people are gonna make fun of you, call you names. Make remarks about how much of an idiot you are. call you a "mexican idiot"....lol, it happens and I think there in the wrong country
Pretty much says what you think.
not so new to town

Fancy wrote:
who cant take a bit of name calling in the work place, unless your in an office (and it even happens there to) people are gonna make fun of you, call you names. Make remarks about how much of an idiot you are. call you a "mexican idiot"....lol, it happens and I think there in the wrong country
Pretty much says what you think.

Actually it does not, this is if everybody is agreeing to the harrsament. you seem like a very closeted person whos never worked in an industry where BS'ing with the fellas is a way to pass the time..please stop trying to pick my posts apart your not interpreting my comments correctly. sorry you dont understand. save you keystrokes on this one.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

not so new to town wrote:Actually it does not, this is if everybody is agreeing to the harrsament. you seem like a very closeted person whos never worked in an industry where BS'ing with the fellas is a way to pass the time..please stop trying to pick my posts apart your not interpreting my comments correctly. sorry you dont understand. save you keystrokes on this one.

Apparently you have trouble putting your thoughts into words so others can understand.

If the banter is not agreed on by both parties then it is harassment and not acceptable.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “B.C.”