Poll - Should winter tires be mandatory for all vehicles

Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Poll - Should Winter Tires Be Mandatory for all Vehicles

Post by Bpeep »

Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Babbitman wrote:http://www.thoughtsbypilvi.com/index.php?page_req=5&postid=388&wpauthor=Seppo&posttitle=the-benefits-of-winter-tires

:coffeecanuck: Somewhat amusing as Nokian's are mentioned as amongst the best winter tires out there, which by the way is why I'm getting them, yet that does not change the fact that they are rated as all weather.

The only reason I've even weighed in is because I found your assertions a tad misleading.

There are tires out there that are viewed as all season that don't have the snowflake/mountain symbol on them, consequently those would be in violation of winter mountain driving regulations.

On the other hand there are some, such as the ones I'm putting on, that are winter tires, in accordance with winter mountain driving regulations, yet also categorized as all season. In other words truly dual purpose, though I admit I will do my best to prolong their life by switching to summer tires in the summer, but by choice, not because I have to.

I can't possibly make it any clearer than that.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
Babbitman wrote:Its a well known fact that even a bad winter tire is better than a good all season.

Well for what it's worth I've just spent the last couple of days perusing the various tire offerings at our local outlets.

To sum it up what I learned was that unless you opt to go with studded tires, which my research showed are not a great idea when the majority of ones driving is not on ice, the rest of the options all appeared to be classed as "all season" tires.

Now I don't know if that term has just gotten overused or what, but that's what I've come to learn.

So basically I guess as long as the item has a snowflake symbol, some are viewing them as winter tires, when in fact they can be on year round and on the tire sites are described as all season products.

seems we have a tire wal mart tire salesmen in the thread.
all seasons are perfectly fine.
not so new to town

Post by not so new to town »

Babbitman wrote:http://www.thoughtsbypilvi.com/index.php?page_req=5&postid=388&wpauthor=Seppo&posttitle=the-benefits-of-winter-tires

could you please explian what your signature says?
JUST CRUZIN THE BOARD!!!!!!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:

:coffeecanuck: Somewhat amusing as Nokian's are mentioned as amongst the best winter tires out there, which by the way is why I'm getting them, yet that does not change the fact that they are rated as all weather.

The only reason I've even weighed in is because I found your assertions a tad misleading.

There are tires out there that are viewed as all season that don't have the snowflake/mountain symbol on them, consequently those would be in violation of winter mountain driving regulations.

On the other hand there are some, such as the ones I'm putting on, that are winter tires, in accordance with winter mountain driving regulations, yet also categorized as all season. In other words truly dual purpose, though I admit I will do my best to prolong their life by switching to summer tires in the summer, but by choice, not because I have to.

I can't possibly make it any clearer than that.

Thanks. I was also correct from what you have learned.

Truly the best for ICE only, is studs. I just love making it interesting. It is also when you read about the tires on the manufacturer's site.

I run S+M and if ever charged I'll go to court just to say my bit. The snow flake is so French men don't confuse there tires..lol.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

not so new to town wrote:

(pst off topic you can PM for that)
simnut
Übergod

Post by simnut »

Rickturner wrote:
My theory. I come from saskatchewan 20 years ago. We had some of the toughest winter elements going. We never put on winter tires. We drove the tires until the wires were showing through the side walls.

I don't really fully believe in anybody selling me things when they have money as their motive. I always question that.

You can't compare driving in Sask to driving here on the mainland or on the Island. Different conditions all together! Snow at -20 is a whole lot different than snow at -5 degrees....
Don't you just love "discussing" with a stubborn Dutchman?
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

keith1612 wrote:

I will leave you to your uninformed assumption.
They are fine, if you like to scoot from your underground parking lot to walmart and back.
I put on lots of miles, and I prefer proper winter tires.
Maybe you just cant afford proper tires, and therefore are unable to see the difference for yourself.
Fortunately, I can.
At least you can read about it tho and inform yourself.
Better yet, call a Kal tire store, and ask them what the difference is. That would be better than me posting a link to help inform you just for you to discount it as ridicule. But, I know how you feel, few of us like to be proved wrong.
If you disagree with the professionals, you can always call them liars and storm out.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Have fun btw, studding your all seasons.
I guess you can use some #8 screws, just dont sink em too deep.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

not so new to town wrote:

I would tell you, but I'm afraid you wouldnt understand.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'd be tempted to try all seasons if I didn't have such an unpredictable job and if we didn't also have to travel outside of Kelowna in the Winter.

As it is we travelled to Lake Country last night and I was awfully glad we had the right tires. Nothing beats studded.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Babbitman wrote:
keith1612 wrote:

I will leave you to your uninformed assumption.
They are fine, if you like to scoot from your underground parking lot to walmart and back.
I put on lots of miles, and I prefer proper winter tires.
Maybe you just cant afford proper tires, and therefore are unable to see the difference for yourself.
Fortunately, I can.
At least you can read about it tho and inform yourself.
Better yet, call a Kal tire store, and ask them what the difference is. That would be better than me posting a link to help inform you just for you to discount it as ridicule. But, I know how you feel, few of us like to be proved wrong.
If you disagree with the professionals, you can always call them liars and storm out.

i drive for a living and dont need a wannabe try and tell me whats needed.
if you feel you need overpriced tires to drive in the okanagan go for it.
yes im sure a tire shop would always recommend saving money and going with a resonable priced safe all season wouldnt they.
i probably drive more winter miles in a week than you do all winter.
i can afford better tires im just not stupid enough to waste money out of fear of nothing.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Queen K wrote:I'd be tempted to try all seasons if I didn't have such an unpredictable job and if we didn't also have to travel outside of Kelowna in the Winter.

As it is we travelled to Lake Country last night and I was awfully glad we had the right tires. Nothing beats studded.

studded now?
kelowna to lake country is flat driving, if you couldnt do that with all seasons last nite then you missed part of the driving training.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Ken7 wrote:I run S+M and if ever charged I'll go to court just to say my bit. The snow flake is so French men don't confuse there tires..lol.

S+M is all my Nokian Vativa's had written on them, yet they were sold as a winter tire by the tire experts, and did a great job of driving in winter conditions I might add. Now, though the tire is practically the same, they've changed the name and added the snowflake symbol to it.

If I were in a situation where I had to cross the connector every day in winter, I would most definitely be running on studs, but for the most part my work is in the valley bottom, where roads are dry most of the time, a scenario where the studs would simply be worn down prematurely, and roads unnecessarily impacted, not to mention that I've read it can be hard on transmissions as well.

For the five or six times a winter that I need to drive to higher elevations, my non studded winter tires will suffice just fine.

I think the main thing to be learned from this debate, is that not all tires that may be called all season, are the same, and that's been my only point of contention, in that some have made derogatory remarks as though they are.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

keith1612 wrote:

i probably drive more winter miles in a week than you do all winter.

Thats very unlikely.

Return to “B.C.”