Enbridge pipeline

steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: Enbridge pipeline

Post by steven lloyd »

GenesisGT wrote:I guess First Nations will now be in favour of pipelines.

First Nations were never automatically opposed to pipelines. Contrary to some misguided and ill-advised viewpoints, they are not openly opposed to resource development. They know what these opportunities could mean for their Nations and their people. (the Tahltan and Haida Nations have very lucrative resource agreements already in place). They are; however, opposed to short-sighted, reckless, and makes no sense given the small reward to their people (and BC and Canada as a whole) for the risk being asked of them. As stated before, Enbridge and the Harper Con Government can looked to as a case study in how not to plan and sell a project. Both Black and the Eagles Spirit Energy have put forward plans that would have us refining and exporting values added product at far less risk and greater short term and long term pay-offs for Canadians. Harper is answering to a couple of dozen people in Calgary (and foreign) office towers and is oblivious to the other possibilities that exist (an inherent shortcoming of conservatism). He and Enbridge have completely underestimated the opposition and resistance to a dilbut pipeline and are seen as long past the point of being able to be trusted. I don’t know if Trudeau has what it takes to be Prime Minister, but Harper seems to be doing all he can to help young Trudeau out in that.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Pipeline exporting crude isn’t good for Canada, job creation
Posted by:
Editorial Pages

A recent opinion piece from a handful of construction unions — Northern Gateway pipeline needed to enrich us all — was long on rhetoric about the Northern Gateway pipeline and short on facts.

According to the Alberta Federation of Labour, only 228 permanent jobs will be created from a pipeline opposed by 130 First Nations, most B.C. municipalities and half of British Columbians.

Beyond a paltry 36 months of short-term pipeline construction jobs, the Northern Gateway pipeline — and pending Kinder Morgan and Keystone XL projects — will ship unrefined bitumen to foreign markets, robbing Canadians of thousands of stable, long-term upgrading, refining and petrochemical jobs.

An Exxon Valdez-type tanker spill of raw bitumen would cost the fishing and tourism industry on the North Coast billions, wiping out the already meagre benefit to British Columbia.

The Enbridge project, or any project that poses so much risk to the coast, that is opposed overwhelmingly by First Nations, that fails to create a meaningful number of long-term jobs for Canadians is not just divisive, it is foolish.

Instead of enriching foreign oil barons, the federal government should view our natural resources as a way to maximize benefit to Canadians over the long term. That means addressing First Nations’ concerns, taking the time to get our greenhouse gas emissions under control and creating stable, good-paying jobs for Canadians.

A responsibly managed value-added Canadian oil industry would not only mean additional revenue for social programs and infrastructure but would also allow Canada the opportunity to provide incentives to develop a lasting green energy industry for future generations of Canadians.

Russ Day, Chevron Burnaby refinery unit chairman,

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/06/29 ... -creation/
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

He and Enbridge have completely underestimated the opposition and resistance to a dilbut pipeline and are seen as long past the point of being able to be trusted. I don’t know if Trudeau has what it takes to be Prime Minister, but Harper seems to be doing all he can to help young Trudeau out

i think this here is very true and i'm sure our premier is thinking , if i back this pipeline i'm finished
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

This one makes me chuckle: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/enbridge-ceo-not-deterred-by-aboriginal-title-ruling-1.2702277

Let's see, 12-15 months to study the 209 conditions. Hmmm... seems to me that A) the conditions were negotiated with Enbridge during the hearing process, and B) this process started in 2005 - and they still need more time to study.

I don't think that they are really that slow. What they do know is that both JT an Mulcair have come out against the NGP - and the elction is in about 15 months. And that the FNs directly affected have clearly said "no way. no how", and that indirectly affected FNs have said "no tankers".

I think that what they are "studying" is how to set up a lawsuit to try to recover the money that they have ill-advisedly spent on this proposal. I can hear the opening statement, "We were encouraged by the government of the day and advised that there would be no significant challenge to approval, which we were granted by the government of the day..."

I'll go on record right now, not one dime, not one penny (even though we don't have those anymore).
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

hobbyguy wrote:I think that what they are "studying" is how to set up a lawsuit to try to recover the money that they have ill-advisedly spent on this proposal. I can hear the opening statement, "We were encouraged by the government of the day and advised that there would be no significant challenge to approval, which we were granted by the government of the day..."

After more than one year of the Northern Gateway pipeline TV commercials every single day every single hour .. ad nauseam .. they have disappeared. I guess grandma is out of a job and that young engineer student will not work on the project this summer as promised.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

hobbyguy wrote:
Let's see, 12-15 months to study the 209 conditions.

It's actually about 130 condtions to build the piepline, then another 80 to build the sea port.

Condition #1 is "all conditions must be met". Really then it's 208 conditions, as the reason the report exists is to list all the conditions that have to be met. It goes without saying that these "conditions need to be met in order to proceed" - but making one of the conditions state that all the conditions need to be met is pure trickery.

I urge people to actual read "the conditions". Just Fluff for the industry. Nice big "209" number. Make the pubic seem like they have a million miles to walk. It's a farce.

http://desmog.ca/sites/beta.desmogblog. ... itions.pdf
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I agree, I read through all the "conditions". To top it off, a lot of the conditions were to "study" something, with no requirement to prove or resolve anything as a condition for going ahead. 'Tis part of why in my critique of the JRP report I concluded that it was just a whitewash.
Last edited by hobbyguy on Jul 15th, 2014, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/northern-gateway-pipeline-first-nations-outline-constitutional-challenges-1.2706376

9 more separate court challenges.

Some interesting comments:

"it's not going to be for a better deal. It's going to be to protect the land and the environment"

"compared with the efforts of the provincial government in B.C., the federal government has failed to properly consult with First Nations"

That last comment may indicate that there is less opposition to the natural gas developments. Hope so.
The Rooster
Fledgling

Post by The Rooster »

hobbyguy wrote:I agree, I read through all the "conditions". To top it off, a lot of the conditions were to "study" something, with requirement to prove or resolve anything as a condition for going ahead. 'Tis part of why in my critique of the JRP report I concluded that it was just a whitewash.

Oh just build it , let the whiners whine and don't worry about the natives , they won't do anything , they never do , they just sit there and expand .Apparently they own the whole galaxy anyway , just give their band councils a few million each to pay them off and they'll screw over their own as always
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Jul 15th, 2014, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: potentially libelous comment removed.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Atomoa wrote:http://desmog.ca/2014/07/15/new-map-shows-dramatic-time-lapse-tar-sands-deforestation

Information is nice but useless if not presented accurately and intended to mislead. One only has to compare the scale in the detailed picture to the red block outlined as the reference area covering 3/4's of Alberta to realize there is no credible information to be learned.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

The worst mountain pine beetle outbreak in 100 years had absolutely nothing to do with temporary tree removal, eh?

Interestingly, the new growth regen trees that are now springing up in all those "red" areas are far better processors of carbon dioxide than mature trees, and especially beetle-attacked dead treees. *removed*
Last edited by Jo on Jul 17th, 2014, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off-topic personal attack
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Gone_Fishin wrote:The worst mountain pine beetle outbreak in 100 years had absolutely nothing to do with temporary tree removal, eh?

Interestingly, the new growth regen trees that are now springing up in all those "red" areas are far better processors of carbon dioxide than mature trees, and especially beetle-attacked dead treees. *removed*

Yes, and one also has to wonder how they accidentally omitted the "red" tree loss areas outside of the tar sands area. Are we to believe the tree loss dos not extend beyond those nice straight lines drawn on a map? Completely ridiculous presentation.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol like alberta's environment is being made better by the tar sands development? you really trying to have people believe that ? go have a few drinks of water from the ground around there if its so good

Return to “B.C.”