Enbridge pipeline

twobits
Guru

Re: Enbridge pipeline

Post by twobits »

lakevixen wrote:lol like alberta's environment is being made better by the tar sands development? you really trying to have people believe that ? go have a few drinks of water from the ground around there if its so good

I wouldn't hesitate to have a drink or eat a fish caught in any natural water body included in this vast area. An inconvenient truth for you is that the waters of our very own Okanagan Lake contain more contaminants.
We have technologies that allow us to measure for substances in parts per billion. Anywhere there is human activity we will be able to measure our impact. The ability to measure however does not mean we have a de facto conclusion that our measurable impact is not safe.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

Just another reason that protecting the Great Bear Rainforest from the Northern Gateway Pipeline is so important:

Grizzly bear 'highway' uncovered in BC rainforest

New research from the Heiltsuk First Nation points to a sort of bear highway through the Great Bear Rainforest on B.C.'s Central Coast.

William Housty, a director with the Qqs Society, says they've found that the grizzly bears under study are travelling hundreds of kilometres each year along preferred routes — and one trail in particular along the salmon-producing Koeye River.

"The bears walk in the same steps every time. Their feet are imprinted in the trail," he told CBC News. "You can follow these trails and really walk the same highway the bears walk."

Researchers from the Heiltsuk First Nation, combining traditional knowledge with scientific principles and techniques, have not only determined the grizzlies' territory is likely much larger than they expected —they've also found that there are more of the salmon-feeding bears than they thought.

For three years, Housty and other bear-trackers have lived alongside the bears.

"We were interacting with these bears, we were bumping into them on trails, and really came to the conclusion that we knew nothing," he said.

Part of the study involved setting wire hair-snares scented to attract the bears to rub up against them.

The researchers then collected the fur left behind, and sent the fur samples for DNA analysis to do genetic comparisons.

Housty says everyone was surprised to discover there were up to 65 grizzlies living in the Koeye River system alone.

"You know, it was staggering to know there was that many bears. We'd had figured that maybe we were dealing with 10 or 12 bears, based on the ones that we've seen. So it tells us a lot about the health of the system. It tells us that the salmon is fairly healthy," he said.

Housty said the research has given the Heiltsuk a clearer understanding of the size and shape of the bear sanctuary.

They now plan to expand their grizzly bear survey to other salmon streams in the area to help inform a management plan for the region.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/07/20/stephen-harper-government-policies_n_5603288.html

"They also called for more processing and refining of Canada's oil resources at home, and to do so in a more environmentally safe manner."

""There is little enthusiasm for the (Northern Gateway) project, even among supporters,""

""It's also really heartening to see that people spontaneously talked about resource development through a sustainable lens. They talked about refining and processing here in Canada. People get it.""

Sounds like west - to -east and use the resource at home to create good jobs where people live, and want to live.

That should have been a no-brainer from the start, but I guess the corporate bosses of the Harperites wouldn't maximize their ROI that way, nor would that fulfill the mandate of the communist state owned corporations that Harper approved as buyers of the resource rights...
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Patrick Moore: Green godfather says pipeline must be built

July 1, 2014. 12:16 am • Section: Opinion

Why am I supportive of the federal government’s recent decision to allow the Northern Gateway Pipeline project to move ahead, subject to tough conditions? As a lifelong environmentalist, I’ve often asked myself that question.

My answer begins with a single fact: there are a billion cars in the world that need oil products everyday.

We have no choice but to make those products available somehow. And a pipeline is the best way to get the fuel to the transportation fleet.

Given current industry standards, and in particular given the enhancements proposed around Northern Gateway, both by the proponent and by the regulators, my view is the pipeline is our best and safest option, and certainly better than rail transport.

But when I say we have no choice but to deliver oil-based fuels to the transportation fleet, I know I’m on solid ground.

If we stopped using oil overnight, half the global population would die as a result of a loss of food distribution, health care and emergency services among other crucial fuel-based needs like heating or cooling.

Moreover, an immediate end to oil use would result in every accessible tree being cut down for fuel.

I’m well aware many activists want to stop the world from using all petroleum products. I’ve followed the rhetoric where pejorative meanings are attached to various energy resources; oil is toxic, dangerous and destructive, activists proclaim. But many things of great social utility are toxic, dangerous and destructive if misused.

Meanwhile, in protest against the operation of Russian drilling platforms, my old organization Greenpeace recently piloted a diesel-powered ship to the platform’s location, without a hint of irony. That’s hypocrisy in my view.

Similarly, Greenpeace International’s program director admitted recently he’s been “commuting between Luxembourg and Amsterdam” via air since 2012. He told the Guardian this week that he makes the round trip about twice a month, despite the organization’s campaign to curb “the growth in aviation” which it says “is ruining our chances of stopping dangerous climate change.”

To be consistent, Greenpeace should tie up its boats and park its planes.

The more logical path — and the more humanitarian one as well — is a focus on incremental reductions in the use of fossil fuel over time, through improvements in our technology and in our practices, both of which we can implement at home.

An example of an improvement in technology is opting to buy a car that’s more fuel-efficient. I don’t mean an $85,000 Tesla plug-in electric. I mean a reasonably-priced, modern economy car like a Toyota Corolla that’s designed for fuel efficiency and has a gasoline consumption rating of around 7.8 litre per 100 kilometres — 30 miles per gallon — for combined city and highway driving.

An example of an improvement in practices is leaving that same Corolla in the driveway from time to time and instead choosing to walk when it comes to picking up milk and eggs for the family.

Many such examples exist. And between these two concepts, average people can make a real difference. You’ll enjoy the added benefit of being consistent in your choices and leading by example.

The fact is as much as 99 per cent of our global transportation fleet is oil-based and vital. Electric vehicles are expensive and therefore unattainable to most, and trucks, busses and aircraft are just too large to power with a battery.

I don’t subscribe to the notion that a modern, carefully planned, heavily regulated and properly maintained pipeline is so fraught with unmanageable peril that it must be stopped at all costs.

Nearly 300,000 kilometres of U.S. petroleum transmission pipelines move crude oil, gasoline, diesel fuel and other petroleum products to consumer markets daily. At less than 1,200 kilometres, Northern Gateway seems manageable in comparison.

Further, the argument that Canadian oil is more ethical in its production is persuasive to me. Coined by commentator Ezra Levant, the ethical oil argument says that in terms of human rights, labour legislation, well-paid jobs, taking care of worker health and environmental legislation, Canada’s oil is clearly the best choice.

We treat people and the environment with respect.

The federal government’s approval of Northern Gateway was a decisive step toward Canada no longer being held hostage to the U.S. market for our valuable oil.

In this era of strong regulation and intense public scrutiny over energy development and transmission, I support that decision.

Patrick Moore is a co-founder and former leader of Greenpeace. An environmentalist for more than four decades, he is based in Vancouver.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/07/01 ... -be-built/
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

http://mediamatters.org/research/2014/02/27/who-is-patrick-moore-a-look-at-the-former-green/198266

"Patrick Moore frequently portrays himself as a founder or co-founder of Greenpeace, and many news outlets have repeated this characterization. Although Mr. Moore played a significant role in Greenpeace Canada for several years, he did not found Greenpeace. Phil Cotes, Irving Stowe, and Jim Bohlen founded Greenpeace in 1970. Patrick Moore applied for a berth on the Phyllis Cormack in March, 1971 after the organization had already been in existence for a year. A copy of his application letter and Greenpeace's response are available here (PDF). [Greenpeace, 12/7/10]"

"Greenpeace: Moore Left Greenpeace For "Financial Gain." Moore has repeatedly claimed that he left Greenpeace because their policies shifted to the radical left, saying for instance in his testimony, "I had to leave as Greenpeace took a sharp turn to the political left, and began to adopt policies that I could not accept from my scientific perspective." But Greenpeace has a different view of the situation, saying "what Moore really saw was an opportunity for financial gain. Since then he has gone from defender of the planet to a paid representative of corporate polluters." [U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, 2/25/14; Greenpeace, 10/10/08]

Moore Has Been An Industry Spokesman For Over 20 Years. Patrick Moore founded Greenspirit Strategies Ltd. in 1991, a communications strategy firm that promotes energy-intensive industries including "mining, energy, forestry, aquaculture, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals and manufacturing," and supports "environmentally sound oil extraction, like is being done in the Canadian oil sands." Moore has worked as a spokesman for many different nuclear energy companies, as reported by Media Matters:"

My bold.
ForestfortheTrees
Board Meister

Post by ForestfortheTrees »

What I find really amusing about statements like "Patrick Moore: Green godfather says . . ." is that because he was once affiliated with and environmental organization, his views must be golden. Why does he have any more sway than any other "green godfather"? There are many more out there that say the pipeline should not be built. Why don't they have equal footing? It's a kind of straw man tactic really--a way to sow uncertainty and doubt. "Oh, this environmental guy said we should build it so maybe I need to change my mind too." Why don't the same people who quote Patrick Moore also quote Phil Cotes, Irving Stowe, and Jim Bohlen?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Patrick Moore has more knowledge and more "sway" than Hobbyguy and ForestfortheTrees. Guaranteed.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Rwede wrote:Patrick Moore has more knowledge and more "sway" than Hobbyguy and ForestfortheTrees. Guaranteed.

AKA I agree with his views so the rest of you are wrong and he is right.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

jennylives wrote:AKA I agree with his views so the rest of you are wrong and he is right.

I'm glad you see it my way. :)
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

My answer begins with a single fact: there are a billion cars in the world that need oil products everyday

...and Tesla is coming out with a 35k electric car in a few years.

We have no choice but to make those products available somehow.

We are slaves to the car? No choice or ability around that? It's like achieving light speed right now?

Sorry, but's what's the rush? You're creating a fictitious urgency like a salesmen.

BP says 52 years of oil production left of proven world reserves

Oh right. Gotta top up the empire goldpiles before the end game.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Any number of people might not want to accept what Patrick Moore has to say but if you take the time to read through and digest his comments line by line you will be hard pressed to find anything in his well stated position at you can say is not true when viewed in isolation.

Sometimes reality interferes with our individual theories of how to better the world without speeding our own demise.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

So 'splain me how burning a valuable fuel, natural gas, to make a third class product like dilbit (and importing the "dil" part), which will then take more energy (possibly from natural gas) to turn into a usable fuel plus tons of barely usable and definitely environmentally nasty petcoke, makes any sense. Why not just use the natural gas and/or export it?

I'm ok with resource development done properly, but that basic premise is just silly. It makes as much sense as driving to Kamloops to save 2 cents per litre on gas.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Atomoa wrote:...and Tesla is coming out with a 35k electric car in a few years.

Tell that to all the people who rely on $5,000 cars to get to work every day to feed their families and pay the rent. Not sure why you, a supposed anti-poverty advocate, is demanding that everyone buy a $35,000 Tesla and then eat Kirkland dog food to make the payments.

How much oil is needed to build the Tesla charging station infrastructure around the globe?

How much oil is needed to build a billion Teslas to replace our current fleet?

How much oil is needed to fire the electricity generators to charge a billion Teslas?

How much rare-earth elements are required to produce a billion Teslas, how do we mine that massive supply of REEs, and do we even have enough REEs in the world to build a billion Teslas? What about the devastating pollution being created by REE mining - do we continue to poison Africa with it so you can feel good about yourself?

Can we build a billion Teslas in 52 years? How do we get the workforce to the factories to produce the billion cars it has taken us decades to produce with our current production factories?

Your small-minded "solutions" sure miss the big picture.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

More competence and trust building from Enbridge: http://globalnews.ca/news/1474268/neb-orders-enbridge-to-stop-work-on-manitoba-pipeline/

"The federal energy watchdog says an inspection earlier this month on the company’s Line 3 pipeline, which runs between Alberta and Wisconsin, revealed numerous problems.

It says wetlands and agricultural land near Cromer, Man., were damaged and open excavations posed safety hazards."

But oh my, what about all those pretty ads with pristine waters and fish and caring about young engineers?

Not only stopped work for environmental reasons, but for safety hazards.

I guess the NTSB was right when they characterized Enbridge as "Keystone Cops". Watch what they do, not what they say.

Return to “B.C.”