Enbridge pipeline

albertabound
Board Meister

Re: Enbridge pipeline

Post by albertabound »

:ohmygod: Nab you are wrong, air polution from coal mines in bc are 100 times worse then any other ,why do you ignore this same as your buddy tom mockhair? :purefury:
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Hey, I didn't write the article LOL. Besides, the topic isn't about coal mines.

Nab
albertabound
Board Meister

Post by albertabound »

:sunshine: Typicall response from an ndper, ignore and attack, with out any facts. :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep: :skippingsheep:
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

albertabound wrote::ohmygod: Nab you are wrong, air polution from coal mines in bc are 100 times worse then any other ,why do you ignore this same as your buddy tom mockhair? :purefury:

Coal is just another form of fossil fuel.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Don't know what the % numbers are, but fossil fuels shipped to Asia affect the air quality of the whole west coast via transpacific pollution. One report I read indicated that it was reducing California's efforts to cut ozone pollution by 25%.

Makes you wonder what good emission standards, mandatory HE furnaces etc, and carbon taxes in BC are doing if we ship fossil fuels to Asia where it seems nobody really cares. If you have asma and you want to commit suicide - go to Xian.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
baconbits
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by baconbits »

Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

MattJ wrote:I don't know if anybody else noticed, but we are getting the pipeline whether we like it or not. If you've seen the commercial on TV you will see what I mean. Everything described in the commercial is talking in the present tense, as though the pipeline is already approved and is going ahead.

Commercials or not, there will be a pipeline. Same goes for Keystone. Companies in Alberta are fabricating components for both.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

MattJ wrote:I don't know if anybody else noticed, but we are getting the pipeline whether we like it or not. If you've seen the commercial on TV you will see what I mean. Everything described in the commercial is talking in the present tense, as though the pipeline is already approved and is going ahead.

j watson wrote:Commercials or not, there will be a pipeline. Same goes for Keystone. Companies in Alberta are fabricating components for both.

:rate10:
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

A reminder of what happens when there is an oil spill.This commercial is released on the 24th anniversary of the Exxon Valdez oil spill, that today still has oil showing up on the beaches in the surrounding areas,and that was oil,not bitumen.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Paul+S ... tt5hzaVac7
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

It is hard to forget those images but I think a lot of people have with dollar signs blocking their vision.
phoenix 2000

Post by phoenix 2000 »

I think it's unfortunate that people are so unwilling to listen to each other. The pipeline proponents are sure there won't be any problems (when has man EVER done ANYTHING that didnt eventually have problems? Even the Japanese quadruple in place state of the art contingency plans to cope with every possible nuclear power plant emergency didn't save the reactors when the tsunami hit, and they worked precisely as they were designed to do.

Enbridge has a truly awful record of spills, evasion of responsibility and half truths, and has absolutely NO idea what it will do about any problems because it apparently isn't worth their while to work those out until after the pipeline is approved. Now, if someone was going to remodel my house, which would involve impacting all the systems in my house such as power and water etc, first of all, I wouldnt hire a contractor who had been sued by other people for the lousy job they did on their houses.

Secondly, I wouldn't hire a contractor who had a proven track record of cutting corners and hedging proper procedure whenever they thought they could get away with it.

Thirdly, I wouldn't hire someone who had no idea what they would do in the event of unexpected problems turning up, as they always always do.

Fourth, I would be extremely reluctant to let the neighbors drain their waste across my yard to a disposal, and especially not if I would be responsible for any cleanup if the lines came apart and dumped whatever all over my yard, even more especially not if that line was put in and serviced by a company such as those described above.

I also wouldnt hire a company who had no plan as to how they were going to deal with known problems. Winging it would not be an option.

I wonder about people who don't see any of this as being a problem. Would they really be so casual about their own property?

The thing is, a house can be relatively easilly fixed or replaced and it only costs money, The potential problems here are not so easilly fixed and money will only go so far; if someone vandalizes the Mona Lisa or the Sistine Chapel and destroys it, unlimited money cannot replace it. I suppose it comes down for some people that they don't care if they personally don't feel what would be lost in the event of a spill is important, just as some people wouldn't give a moment's thought if someone destroyed the Sistine Chapel or the Mona Lisa. That point of view makes me sad and worried for the future if all that matters is money and the unfettered pursuit of it.

Other routes and other companies might well be able to bring a pipeline through from Alberta to the coast and not be so suspect as to their reliability and care to do a good job. Enbridge is not the company that should be trusted with anything.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

right on great post :9923:
Crazy Horse
Fledgling

Post by Crazy Horse »

Or you could look at it this way.

Energy makes the world go round, and transportation fuel is needed. We have the resources that others want, and our economy is the better for it. Tankers and pipelines have been around for over 100 years, and while there obviously have been accidents, they have been pretty minimal in the big scope of things. And while there is risk, an accident is not a certainty. If we made decisions based on "what might happen", we would never fly in an airplane, or get in a car. Or leave the house for that matter.

Yes, companies should be held accountable, and yes we have the right to expect a high standard of performance. And if you see the measures being taken regarding the tankers ( 2 tugs, pilots, booms, double hull etc.) I believe we are seeing higher standards.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. It just drives me crazy when people get into a frenzy every time the keywords "pipeline" or "oil tanker" are mentioned, and immediately get their backs up and say "NO!"
phoenix 2000

Post by phoenix 2000 »

what happens after the oil gets to the coast is one story and as you say they have been talking about all sorts of tactics designed to minimize the risks. The problem is, that the part that Enbridge is involved with has NONE of those efforts to minimize risk in place.

A pipeline might be fine IF people took the risks seriously and made an honest effort to deal with them. As it is, the attitude seems to be that it's just a bunch of trees and Indians there anyway so who cares? This is what isn't acceptable. Enbridge has been demonstrated to be casual to say the least about its responsibilities and is NOT the company which should be entrusted with this project.

If some people are having a kneejerk reaction and yelling NO when they hear the word pipeline, others are having an equally kneejerk reaction and shouting that the treehuggers are wanting everyone to return to living in caves. Silly on both sides.
OTOH I have a kneejerk reaction when I hear Enbridge and shout NO as loudly as any. It's not the pipeline per se, it's the company which plans to build it somehow or other, we aren't really told how, we're told that they will figure that out later.

This is an insane way to do things and nobody rational would stand for it if they were hiring someone to do a project for them, especially if there was a chance that they might set fire to the house or not bother to build the structure properly because you wouldnt see it anyway once it was done so would never know....until the house caught fire or fell down. Enbridge seems to play the odds that they will be lucky and nothing will happen OR if it does nobody will notice or at least they wont be held responsible. Again, NOT the company which should be doing this project.
phoenix 2000

Post by phoenix 2000 »

As far as energy is concerned. do a little research on liquid Thorium reactors. Wiki has a short but fairly thorough article about it. I used to have a knnejerk reaction if anyone mentioned nuclear energy but this technology is LIGHT YEARS ahead of anything else I have seen or heard of in terms of potential to handle the world's energy needs.

Then a pipeline or anything else becomes unnecessary and we can get rid of coal fired power plants etc. as well. Clean, highly efficient and safe, words I never thought I would ever use in referring to any sort of nuclear energy.

Return to “B.C.”