Enbridge pipeline

dani8_69

Re: Enbridge pipeline

Post by dani8_69 »

Speaking from working in the Oilfields I have to correct a few things that are being stated here. As far as spill and cleanup, anything over 1.0L onsite or 1TBSP on any ROW or non lease areas has to be reported and investigated for spill contaminates. This includes Vac trucks dumping the stuff they just sucked out of the ground too close to water ways. There are severe rules and repercussions for that kind of thing, even a rut left from a tire 8" or deeper in the ROW mud has to be investigated by the environmentalists. Lots of regulations are in place for work near any waterway during the creation of the pipeline and for after it is in the ground. Standard leak detection systems are being used by most companies now like Suncor, where the insulation around the pipe has a resistivity to it, and cables that span the entire length. Main transmitting stations are located periodically and remote stations between them. These systems flag as soon as the system detects moisture in the insulation. The remote stations can allow them to narrow down to within 3 m of the spill in record time. Dilbit as a product is Dilient mixed with Bitumen acting as a form of lubricant to travel in the pipes without balling up. Essentially its a very similar product to diesel. That in itself is starting to change as well, more and more companies are doing Hotbit lines or CNRL using new technology to harness CO from the air to replace the Dilient. As far as leaks on the pipeline itself, that would be less of a concern than anything else. They should be able to respond to such a leak in suitable time, at a very low leak amount, as we are only talking about enough to make the insulation wet. The only concern if any that I would focus on would be the shoreline and tankers.

As for the one earlier commenting about how its only Alberta plates are involved in the pipeline and oilfield process, I think you severely underestimate how many BC trades people work in the Oilfields every day because they can't make the money in town. Most Alberta trades people work for the schedule only, they can make the wages in town. BC trades people are working to make a living, and projects like this, if done properly, keep you economy flowing by providing them with work.
Last edited by dani8_69 on Feb 6th, 2013, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

ticat900 wrote:If the titantic was in 2013 it would have the current navigation technologies available and never hit a iceburg to begin with never mind the ability to build superior ships nowadays verses back then

NASA has accidents

They use 5000 dollar screwdrivers to turn 400 dollar screws - and they pay 5 guys 120,000 a year to inspect the screw after it's been screwed. Spaceships still blow up in the sky.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Don't dare get into your car then. With the quality of it's build it's a sure thing it will kill you right?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
dani8_69

Post by dani8_69 »

SurplusElect wrote:
They use 5000 dollar screwdrivers to turn 400 dollar screws - and they pay 5 guys 120,000 a year to inspect the screw after it's been screwed. Spaceships still blow up in the sky.

Based on faulty O rings that they knew about, which caused a gas leak. Probably a major reason why they ditched the Orbiter shuttle design and are going back to the old style. Not an entirely accurate comparison.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

The point is accidents will happen.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

SurplusElect wrote:The point is accidents will happen.

Exactly,there are no 100% guarantees ,there is always going to be human error, equipment failure,product failure as in piping,etc.I,m sure there are all kinds of regulations in place and good intentions ,but it is not going to be 100% without error or failure. Enbridge has one of the worst records of failure for various reasons and a poor record on clean up.No one is worried about the tablespoon of oil spilled in the oil patch and that it won't be cleaned up.It is the disaster that has spilled out in the outback of BC after it has spewed down a mountain side and transported miles down a fast moving Salmon bearing river.How is that going to be cleaned up.There is still oil found on the beaches from the Exxon Valdez,and it is easily accessible.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
albertabound
Board Meister

Post by albertabound »

:ohmygod: Lock yourself in a padded room,so you can not have an acciden,stop livi9ng, what an idiotic way to think.
SmokeOnTheWater
Walks on Forum Water

Post by SmokeOnTheWater »

albertabound wrote::ohmygod: Lock yourself in a padded room,so you can not have an acciden,stop livi9ng, what an idiotic way to think.

Good to hear because they decided to run the pipeline through your backyard. :dyinglaughing:
Sorry I couldn't help it.
" Nature is not a place to visit. It is home. " ~ Gary Snyder
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Here are some points dealing with testimony at the pipeline hearings.

1. Oil Spill Response: Although Northern Gateway Pipelines president John Carruthers said his company would respond to questions regarding "world-class emergency preparedness and response capability" for the Northern Gateway Pipeline, no details regarding spill-response or prevention have been submitted for review at the hearing.

During cross-examination, all Enbridge could say was "we have a lot of work to do." Representatives admit that no detailed oil-spill response plan will be submitted until six months before the pipeline is operational.

2: Terrain Hazard Assessment: When the Province of B.C. cross-examined Enbridge, it became clear that the company had left out pertinent information regarding clay sedimentation - which is known for instability - along the proposed pipeline route. Enbridge representative Ray Doering stated that "there is a substantial amount of additional geotechnical work...that needs to be undertaken to further inform the risk analysis and the geohazard risk analysis."

3. Leak Detection: What size leak will be detectable along the pipeline route is still unknown to Enbridge. Despite promising "world-class" leak detection, Enbridge has yet to finalize detection engineering and will only do so after the project is approved.

4. Insurance Coverage: According to Enbridge it is too early to say what kind of insurance coverage the company will have to cover costs in the event of a spill. According to ForestEthics Advocacy, "Enbridge was asked to provide an estimated premium for $250 million in general liability coverage" even though the costs for spill cleanup in Michigan - where an Enbridge pipeline leaked over 100 million gallons into a river - has exceeded $800 million making it the most costly onshore cleanup in American history.

5. Demand and Toll Rates: Northern Gateway president John Carruthers told the panel that the cost to transport bitumen through the pipeline will not be determined until after the project is approved. That means arguments based on demand for the project do not rest on known or reliable data.

6. Tax Revenue: Enbridge played up the economic benefits to government in their cost-benefit analysis of the Northern Gateway project while ignoring the costs to governments.

7. Local Labour: Enbridge admitted that workers will not necessairly be locally sourced during construction, especially when past workers can be brought in from other regions, to fill First Nations' quotas.

8. Seismology: Even though B.C. recently experienced the second largest earthquake in the province's recorded history, Enbridge seismic testing won't start until after the project is approved.

9. Stream Flows for River Crossings: Enbridge can't say what kind of variability they will see in stream flow along the pipeline route because the company won't look at the behaviour of bitumen spills in rivers until...you guessed it: after the project is approved.

10. Seasonal Disruption of Fish Habitat: Details regarding fish habitat and the seasonal use of streams by fish won't be considered until after the project is approved. Enbridge did say that they will provide a spill response plan specially designed for salmon habitat, but not until a spill occurs, because the company plans on handling such instances on a "spill-case-by-spill-case-basis."

11. Environmental Baseline Studies: Enbridge's research regarding environmental damage - and its mitigation - will happen once the project is approved during its planning and engineering phase.

12. Pipeline Routing: Enbridge will not say exactly where it will construct the pipeline, because detailed engineering will not occur until the the project is approved. For that reason, Enbridge cannot be questioned on the specific dangers the pipeline will pose to waterways.

13. Clore and Hoult Tunnels: These two tunnels are planned to help the pipeline avoid unstable sections of the Coast Mountains but no geohazard assessment has been performed for either.

14. Pipeline Access: Enbridge doesn't know how it will get to leaks along remote segments of the pipeline or which access roads will be consistently maintained for use. The company also does not know if helicopters will be available along the route or if seasonal conditions - like ice - might affect spill response.

The Joint Review Panel will decide if this project is in the public interest on December 29, 2013.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

In other words they will just wing it and see what happens,yup 100% guaranteed there will be no problems. :spinball:
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's a federal decision. There will be a pipeline. Good news too, cuz the alternative is oil to the coast via rail.
sixxonesixx
Fledgling

Post by sixxonesixx »

"dani8_69 " In a perfect world and when everyone is looking, spills are reported. If you truly work in the oilfield, then you would KNOW that all spills are NOT reported. Trucks leaking from motors- "throw a little sawdust on it"- a 500 liter spill while transferring drilling fluid and a hose breaks- " suck it up with the vac truck and throw a little sawdust on it"- filling the fuel tank on a boiler and going for a cigarette and start doing something else while fuel spills onto site- " scrape it up with the loader and let the rest disappear" . Dani Boy.... you really have no idea. In a perfect world there are rules and they are adhered to. What happens at night is a whole different story. I can show a complete spill response plan and it all looks good on paper and when asked, we all recite the riot act. In a practical situation... anything can happen. And that Dani Boy is the truth with 30 years experience(as anyone can attest to if they have worked in the oilfield for any length).
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

One of the reasons for the "big push" for alternate markets for Alberta crude has been the surge in competetive sources, primarily the "Bakken" shale oil. Seems that the Bakken supply source may be a relatively short lived source.

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/9506

If this series of "Red Queen"articles is correct, we can expect to see a fairly rapid decline in Bakken production over the next couple of years. This potential decline also explains part of the reason that the XL pipeline is still front and center.

At $80-90 production cost, can't see the Bakken play as all that viable. If that's true, then increased pipeline capacity through BC may not be needed, especially if the XL goes through (?).

Hopefully, the Enbridge proposal is mostly a bluff to apply pressure elsewhere. Seems it may be, as the lack of serious work on the proposal as detailed by bob v doesn't speak to them being serious (unless they are seriously incompetent?).
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
asas

Post by asas »

Well, I just got back from my "lucrative job" in Alberta, but had to correct Surplus whatever...I live in B.C. The comments from ^616 were also interesting in that I only made the following points for discussion.....

1) Companies are NOW much better cleaning up than they WERE due to new rules being enforced by companies that care.
2) How would the anti pipeline groups get this product to market?
3) How do people continue to have their governments provide 'gifts' without taxation of resources and industry?
4) Do you like being held at ransom by foreign oil suppliers?

Not once did I ever indicate I was an expert on any subject, but I was looking for answers. Instead, people with unique personalities push the attack button because they perceive their point of view is the only point of view, and all others must be rediculed. :purefury:
Now after all that, no one has answered questions 2 or 3. Does this mean that people offering opinions do not have solutions? It seems less than helpful to denigrate without at least providing a response that includes a potential solution to our energy needs along with an answer as to how governments can afford to pay for our perks.
We await suggestions not denigration. We already know that the oil, steel, coal and fish industries have all made horrible mistakes and have been forced to correct their ways. Hell, even farmers have created past enviromental issues that took decades to correct ....'dirty thrities'...., but no one barks at them. This is a continuing process that needs postive thought and protection for our lands, but sarcasm and rants do nothing for any of us.
:sleepdeprived:
asas
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Well waaaay back I suggested (summarized):

1. Upgrade at source (no dilbit)
2. Double wall pipeline
3. Southern route with possible new terminal next to the coal terminals (Tswassen)
4. No "flag of convenience" tankers
5. State of the art clean up facilities with ongoing readiness
6. Big time insurance policy to cover all spills

Hard for even diehard greenies to argue with that approach.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “B.C.”