Pot posession charges 88% increase in BC

ukcanuck
Fledgling

Re: Pot posession charges 88% increase in BC

Post by ukcanuck »

Lady tehMa wrote:
ukcanuck, you seem to have a real issue with consequences, paying back debts to society et al.

I don't have any issue with paying a debt to society. If you commit a crime and are convicted of that crime and are sentenced for that crime then you should pay the piper.
However, I understand something more than crime and punishment. I understand about justice and compassion and tolerance.

Something that is absolutely devoid In the post about work farms for drug addicts...chain gangs were found to be cruel and inhumane for murderers and rapists, why would we tolerate them for simple pot heads?

I do however have an issue with dumb laws and even dumber penalties. The current marijuanna laws in Canada are colossally dumb. They create crimes where none exist and they turn people with health issues into criminals. It's absolutely stupid

You and your ilk remind me of my old neighbour's dog.

I didn't know I was a member of an ilk...cool:)
But seriously I hope your not comparing my kind to poop rolling dogs...you would do that...would you?

This dog was a nice enough dog, except he like to roll in his own poop. As long as he was kept outside, the owner didn't mind.
I'm not a dog owner but right away I'm thinking this dog had emotional issues...

But the dog wanted indoors, he liked to sleep on the sofa. The dog also liked to jump up on people, especially after he'd just rolled.

Oh it's not the rolling in the poo that is objectionable its having to put up with the smell! Well that's inconvenient but wouldn't finding out why this poor pooch is obsessive compulsive? Perhaps there is a deeper health concern here?

So the owner took to putting him on a leash to keep him away from the item/activity he wanted, even though he had a fenced yard to play in.

Well that seems cruel, the dog is rolling in its feces for some kind if relief, preventing it from that relief is only going to make it worse...

The leash was attached to a collar, not too tight, just not loose enough to allow him to slip out; it wasn't a choke-chain. As soon as he was on this leash, you should have heard Barkley howl! He would drop to the ground, yelping and writhing like he was being beaten.

Being confined and collared is scary and alarming and psychologically painful, I don't blame the dog for yelping in pain, I would be freaking out too.

He wanted to roll in poop. He didn't care how his habit affected others, he just couldn't see it. He was not allowed to run free until he broke his habit.

I think you are assigning some very simple conclusions to very complex behaviour. There is an entire science based on the reasons for behaviour. It's called psychology. And for both dogs and humans it takes a lot of study and understanding.

The owner wasn't mean, he trained his dog firmly. Eventually Barkley learned his lesson, and decided he disliked the consequences more than he liked his habit of rolling in poop.

I think your dog owner was entirely mean and completely cruel, he didn't break the habit he broke the dog.

Beatings, confinement, punishment does not work; it never has, it never will. Not with dogs and especially with humans
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

WhatThe wrote:So Dickie, I'll bet that you like to have a drink here or there, going to own up to your responsibility in all the costs both monetarily and health wise? You use drugs therefore you contribute to the costs and drain to society.

And since I know you don't like "lefty ideals" you probably don't like contributing tax dollars to help people with mental health disorders aka substance abuse that would save more lives, misery and money than jail ever could.

If there's one thing I can't stand are self absorbed hypocrites.

Yeah, the educated among us know who the drain on society are...

I don't drink. Try again.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Lady tehMa wrote:
ukcanuck, you seem to have a real issue with consequences, paying back debts to society et al.

You and your ilk remind me of my old neighbour's dog. This dog was a nice enough dog, except he like to roll in his own poop. As long as he was kept outside, the owner didn't mind. But the dog wanted indoors, he liked to sleep on the sofa. The dog also liked to jump up on people, especially after he'd just rolled. So the owner took to putting him on a leash to keep him away from the item/activity he wanted, even though he had a fenced yard to play in. The leash was attached to a collar, not too tight, just not loose enough to allow him to slip out; it wasn't a choke-chain. As soon as he was on this leash, you should have heard Barkley howl! He would drop to the ground, yelping and writhing like he was being beaten. He wanted to roll in poop. He didn't care how his habit affected others, he just couldn't see it. He was not allowed to run free until he broke his habit. The owner wasn't mean, he trained his dog firmly. Eventually Barkley learned his lesson, and decided he disliked the consequences more than he liked his habit of rolling in poop.

Excellent analogy, Lady T. Too bad the bloodshot eyes group completely missed the point. Their answers show that their brain function has been hindered, and they can't see the lesson/moral in your story.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Rwede wrote:
I don't drink. Try again.

You don't drink, never have? Never smoked? How about the gasoline in that gas tank of yours partly paid for in blood. You're tryin to tell me choices you've made had no consequence on others? Seriously ?
And why is you harp on pot smokers but not drinkers then? They cost society ten fold more than ALL illicit drugs combined. Why no campaign to eradicate people on your job site from drinking the night before? Why do they get to come to work the next day but a pot smoker doesn't by your standards?

I really want to know.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Now use the dog analogy except now the dog just rolls on the grass... it doesn't hurt or affect him or anyone else and he enjoys it immensely, yet he still gets put on the leash for it. Every time the owner puts him on the leash, it costs him a bit of money, and the dog never does give up rolling on the grass. That's more like the scenario now.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Rwede wrote:

Excellent analogy, Lady T. Too bad the bloodshot eyes group completely missed the point. Their answers show that their brain function has been hindered, and they can't see the lesson/moral in your story.

It's a poor analogy from a woman who is thinking about the subject emotionally and through terrified eyes (I mean no disrespect lady T) and those of us that are objective see the flaw in her reasoning.
Substance abuse problems are not solved by confinement rather through medical help and support. The fact you keep pullin out "stoners are stupid" just shows your complete lack of understanding of related human genetics, behavior and social intervention.
Whatever you want to keep posting, ill counter with real fact and science established by those who are experts in the field.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

WhatThe wrote:
You don't drink, never have? Never smoked? How about the gasoline in that gas tank of yours partly paid for in blood. You're tryin to tell me choices you've made had no consequence on others? Seriously ?
And why is you harp on pot smokers but not drinkers then? They cost society ten fold more than ALL illicit drugs combined. Why no campaign to eradicate people on your job site from drinking the night before? Why do they get to come to work the next day but a pot smoker doesn't by your standards?

I really want to know.

simple answer is some have nothing better to do than harp and whine about what others do even if it has zero effect on their lives.
its the im better than you so i can decide whats good for you mentality.
then when they have no real grounds to stand on they bring out fake issues like all the dangerous pot heads on job sites, all the stoned drivers, the huge cost to taxpayers in medical that weed smokers create.
their made up excuses go on and on.
tim hortons and mcdonalds are a far greater health risk than casually smoking a few joints a week.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

WhatThe wrote:You don't drink, never have? Never smoked? How about the gasoline in that gas tank of yours partly paid for in blood. You're tryin to tell me choices you've made had no consequence on others? Seriously ?

I really want to know.

Maybe you should review my posts on the drinking driving thread to see how I feel about it.

We have tough rules for anyone caught under the influence on our job site, and we have an ongoing program of EFAP and investigation to clean it up. Termination is the end result for those who fail.

And, it's very easy to tell who is and who isn't a user/abuser, contrary to what you guys think. The patterns stand out like sore thumbs to those of us who aren't wandering around in a daze. You're fooling no one thinking you've snuck past us undetected.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Rwede wrote:
Maybe you should review my posts on the drinking driving thread to see how I feel about it.

We have tough rules for anyone caught under the influence on our job site, and we have an ongoing program of EFAP and investigation to clean it up. Termination is the end result for those who fail.

And, it's very easy to tell who is and who isn't a user/abuser, contrary to what you guys think
. The patterns stand out like sore thumbs to those of us who aren't wandering around in a daze. You're fooling no one thinking you've snuck past us undetected.

so if its that damn easy for you experts to pick out weed smokers on the roads and workplace then it should be no issue at all.
you just made a perfect example that obviously its not a concern as they get caught fast.
so if its not a worry at the workplace then nobody should care what they do in the privacy of their own homes.
thanks for the great point.
Looney
Fledgling

Post by Looney »

It just gets more interesting.
kcanuck wrote:

Lady tehMa wrote:

I don't have any issue with paying a debt to society. If you commit a crime and are convicted of that crime and are sentenced for that crime then you should pay the piper.
However, I understand something more than crime and punishment. I understand about justice and compassion and tolerance.

Something that is absolutely devoid In the post about work farms for drug addicts...chain gangs were found to be cruel and inhumane for murderers and rapists, why would we tolerate them for simple pot heads?

Yeah and look at the increase in prison populations and overloads in courts with repeat offenders, drunk drivers and drug offenders. Think of the money and time we'd save if we locked them up.

I do however have an issue with dumb laws and even dumber penalties. The current marijuanna laws in Canada are colossally dumb. They create crimes where none exist and they turn people with health issues into criminals. It's absolutely stupid

You and your ilk remind me of my old neighbour's dog.

I didn't know I was a member of an ilk...cool:)
But seriously I hope your not comparing my kind to poop rolling dogs...you would do that...would you?

This dog was a nice enough dog, except he like to roll in his own poop. As long as he was kept outside, the owner didn't mind.

I'm not a dog owner but right away I'm thinking this dog had emotional issues...

I always wonder if drug users have emotional issues. Can't they handle life without altering their mind.

But the dog wanted indoors, he liked to sleep on the sofa. The dog also liked to jump up on people, especially after he'd just rolled.

Oh it's not the rolling in the poo that is objectionable its having to put up with the smell! Well that's inconvenient but wouldn't finding out why this poor pooch is obsessive compulsive? Perhaps there is a deeper health concern here?

Sitting there in a daze constantly munching. I wonder if there's a health concern here.

So the owner took to putting him on a leash to keep him away from the item/activity he wanted, even though he had a fenced yard to play in.

Well that seems cruel, the dog is rolling in its feces for some kind if relief, preventing it from that relief is only going to make it worse...

Gotta be a serious health concern to have to constantly alter your mind.

The leash was attached to a collar, not too tight, just not loose enough to allow him to slip out; it wasn't a choke-chain. As soon as he was on this leash, you should have heard Barkley howl! He would drop to the ground, yelping and writhing like he was being beaten.

Being confined and collared is scary and alarming and psychologically painful, I don't blame the dog for yelping in pain, I would be freaking out too.

Withdrawl OH the pain of it.

He wanted to roll in poop. He didn't care how his habit affected others, he just couldn't see it. He was not allowed to run free until he broke his habit.

I think you are assigning some very simple conclusions to very complex behaviour. There is an entire science based on the reasons for behaviour. It's called psychology. And for both dogs and humans it takes a lot of study and understanding.

I'm not sure anyone can understand the mind of a drug user.

The owner wasn't mean, he trained his dog firmly. Eventually Barkley learned his lesson, and decided he disliked the consequences more than he liked his habit of rolling in poop
I think your dog owner was entirely mean and completely cruel, he didn't break the habit he broke the dog.

Beatings, confinement, punishment does not work; it never has, it never will. Not with dogs and especially with humans

There might be a Sheriff in Arizona with results that would disagree with that.
Looney
Fledgling

Post by Looney »

Centurion wrote:

Just imagine what potheads like Carl Sagan, Michael Phelps and Richard Branson could have accomplished if they hadn't smoked pot and been a drain on society.

Yes, I agree it is too bad we'll never know how truly great they might have become.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Hey Keith you got your wish, check out "Social Concerns" "Drugs and the workplace, are they a concern"
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Smurf wrote:Hey Keith you got your wish, check out "Social Concerns" "Drugs and the workplace, are they a concern"

being a concern and being a statistical provable problem are 2 different things.
im not concerned about drugs in the workplace as in 30 years in mechanics, driving, construction sites etc i have never seen a problem the way its being portrayed here.
if you guys are paranoid then discuss it away in that section.
im discussing someone smoking weed in their own house, on the beach or campsite etc.
there is no worries or reasons that should concern anyone.
at work or driving well thats a seperate issue with laws to govern it.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

You denied it was a problem and asked for proof. I'm just giving it to you. Sorry if it breaks your bubble.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I understand what you are saying keith but you also have to understand that it is the people who are smoking in their house, on the beach and in their campsite that also become a problem at work. That is what you have to realize. In many cases they are one and the same.

Return to “B.C.”