Pot posession charges 88% increase in BC

Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Pot posession charges 88% increase in BC

Post by Smurf »

I would generally have to agree with RW on this one. As I have said numerous times on these threads, as a union rep I was involved numerous times with employee problems caused by pot use. I am talking one to two decades ago so I am sure it is probably worse now. And it definately affected the workplace in a negative manner. Were there other drugs that did the same thing, of course. But believe me MJ was not a harmless drug. It's use affected many.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Impaired driving and using at work are completely different issues from general use for consenting adults. I'll add though that the facts are not there to show increased risk compared to non-marijuana impaired drivers. http://norml.org/library/item/marijuana ... c-evidence
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

jennylives wrote:Impaired driving and using at work are completely different issues from general use for consenting adults. I'll add though that the facts are not there to show increased risk compared to non-marijuana impaired drivers. http://norml.org/library/item/marijuana ... c-evidence

Your quoting of a pro-dopehead organization adds how much credibility to your assertion? Answer: zero.

Let's see what medical experts (not a group of potheads) found on the subject:

Marijuana smokers may want to put down the pipe before picking up their car keys. A new study shows smoking a doobie nearly doubles your risk of crashing your car.

What's more, the drivers in the study were not necessarily baking behind the wheel. The study found using marijuana within three hours of driving raised risks for accidents 1.75 times, compared with crash rates among sober drivers.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162- ... rash-cars/
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

jennylives wrote:Impaired driving and using at work are completely different issues from general use for consenting adults. I'll add though that the facts are not there to show increased risk compared to non-marijuana impaired drivers. http://norml.org/library/item/marijuana ... c-evidence

From a medical website:

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/marijuana-use-and-its-effects

Physiological Effects of Marijuana

The active ingredient in marijuana is THC. That's short for delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol.

THC is rapidly absorbed after smoking pot. Within minutes, THC and the other substances in marijuana smoke cause short-term medical effects.

Signs of using marijuana include:

Rapid heart rate
Increased blood pressure
Increased rate of breathing
Red eyes
Dry mouth
Increased appetite, or "the munchies"
Slowed reaction time

These effects are reduced after three or four hours. However, marijuana hangs around in your system for as long as a month after smoking. The lingering effects mean you're impaired for several days to weeks after the high wears off.

Psychological Effects of Marijuana

According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, the main effects of marijuana on mood vary and may include euphoria, calmness, anxiety, or paranoia. Getting high or "stoned" is the reason most pot smokers use marijuana.

Other short-term psychological effects of pot include:

Distorted sense of time
Paranoia
Magical or "random" thinking
Short-term memory loss
Anxiety and depression

Risks of Marijuana Use

The risks of smoking marijuana go up with heavy use. Although the link has never been proven, many experts believe heavy pot smokers are at increased risk for lung cancer.

Heavy marijuana use lowers men's testosterone levels and sperm count and quality. Pot could decrease libido and fertility in some heavy-smoking men.

Contrary to what many pot smokers may tell you, marijuana is addictive, at least psychologically. Even among occasional users, one in 12 can feel withdrawal symptoms if they can't get high when they want to. Among heavy pot smokers, the rates of dependence are higher.

Many experts also believe that marijuana is physically addictive. Symptoms of withdrawal from pot might include:

Aggression
Anxiety
Depressed mood
Decreased appetite
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Rwede wrote:

Your quoting of a pro-dopehead organization adds how much credibility to your assertion? Answer: zero.

Let's see what medical experts (not a group of potheads) found on the subject:

Marijuana smokers may want to put down the pipe before picking up their car keys. A new study shows smoking a doobie nearly doubles your risk of crashing your car.

What's more, the drivers in the study were not necessarily baking behind the wheel. The study found using marijuana within three hours of driving raised risks for accidents 1.75 times, compared with crash rates among sober drivers.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162- ... rash-cars/

why do you keep bringing up driving?
that has nothing whatsoever to do with the issue.
people drive on alcohol, legal prescription drugs and cough medicine, should they all be banned?
you are finding the odd reason to use to ban it.
thats like saying ban alcohol because some guys may rape on it.
stop blaming the gun for the actions of the gun owner.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

keith1612 wrote:

But getting a gun is restricted as well, isn't it?
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

its really funny the same old mentality that its a bad thing still runs rampant.
i suppose people would rather spend millions in police dollars a year chasing a imaginary criminal you wont beat than going after real ones.
keep pumping doctor prescribed legal pills on the streets killing kids and adults but as long as prescribed what the hell.
id like to know when someone ever died from over smoking pot,,,, oh wait its never happened.
maybe a overdose of twinkies later.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

goatboy wrote:
keith1612 wrote:

But getting a gun is restricted as well, isn't it?

i suppose the meaning was too much for you there.
sorry
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

keith1612 wrote:its really funny the same old mentality that its a bad thing still runs rampant.
i suppose people would rather spend millions in police dollars a year chasing a imaginary criminal you wont beat than going after real ones.
keep pumping doctor prescribed legal pills on the streets killing kids and adults but as long as prescribed what the hell.
id like to know when someone ever died from over smoking pot,,,, oh wait its never happened.
maybe a overdose of twinkies later.

No, you're right, there's nothing wrong with smoking pot, it's actually good for you.

Not surprisingly, marijuana intoxication can cause distorted perceptions, impaired coordination, difficulty with thinking and problem solving, and problems with learning and memory. Research has shown that, in chronic users, marijuana's adverse impact on learning and memory can last for days or weeks after the acute effects of the drug wear off.2 As a result, someone who smokes marijuana every day may be functioning at a suboptimal intellectual level all of the time.

And I believe this theory has been proven by theyetis posts.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Maybe people are just trying to point out that MJ isn`t harmless and that putting it into your body when there is the possibility of harm shouldn`t be totally your own decission. Kind of like having a few beer and then driving. Maybe there`s actually good reasons for increases in pot possession charges. If what many people claim is true and use is increasing that could be a huge part of the reason for the increase. Also if it is true it is logical to assume that there is the same increased posibility for more harm of some sort to result.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

keith1612 wrote:
sorry

Guess you don't do irony either, huh?
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Smurf wrote:Maybe people are just trying to point out that MJ isn`t harmless and that putting it into your body when there is the possibility of harm shouldn`t be totally your own decission. Kind of like having a few beer and then driving. Maybe there`s actually good reasons for increases in pot possession charges. If what many people claim is true and use is increasing that could be a huge part of the reason for the increase. Also if it is true it is logical to assume that there is the same increased posibility for more harm of some sort to result.

no thats the BS point
who cares if its harmless if its not hurting you?
why do people think they are so good they have the right to decide if others eat mcdonalds or smoke pot?
driving is a different issue covered under a different law, stop using that as fake grounds.
its time the bible belt relaxed, strange they gave up on attacking homosexuality but are targeted on poor weed smokers who hurt nobody but themselves.
stop worrying about whats bad for me and start worrying about whats bad for you.
as for the real criminal aspect of it, the trafficking and driving stoned those are covered under complete different laws.
put the bibles away and stop hen pecking at trying to charge the majority of BC which seem in favor of pot smoking.
the majority is fine with it but the few odd ball whiners worrying what others do make it difficult.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Smurf wrote:I would generally have to agree with RW on this one. As I have said numerous times on these threads, as a union rep I was involved numerous times with employee problems caused by pot use. I am talking one to two decades ago so I am sure it is probably worse now. And it definately affected the workplace in a negative manner. Were there other drugs that did the same thing, of course. But believe me MJ was not a harmless drug. It's use affected many.

Smurf, I'll bet money that it wasn't pot that was causing problems rather that the pot use was a manisfestation of larger seeded emotional problems. Drug use is not generally the cause but a symptom.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

goatboy wrote:
keith1612 wrote:
sorry

Guess you don't do irony either, huh?

ya i missed it sorry lol
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

What The wrote:

Smurf, I'll bet money that it wasn't pot that was causing problems rather that the pot use was a manisfestation of larger seeded emotional problems. Drug use is not generally the cause but a symptom.

I might agree with that but is that not a reason to correct the problems instead of using and causing more problems. If you are right I`ll bet that use is seldom a solution but just an ongoing bandaid.

Return to “B.C.”