Pot posession charges 88% increase in BC

keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Pot posession charges 88% increase in BC

Post by keith1612 »

ICBC is taking this week to remind drivers to slow down, and adjust their driving to the road conditions. In B.C., speeding is the leading cause of car crash fatalities, with an average of 27 people killed in our region each year. Another average of 24 crashes a month resulting in injuries or death in our area are due to people driving too fast for the conditions. That's especially an issue in the north, where for several months of the year roads are in winter condition, and in December that number doubles to 50.
ukcanuck
Fledgling

Post by ukcanuck »

Smurf wrote:The trouble is many of these guys didn't use enough to fry themselves, just enough to be dangerous. Maybe you should think over your 95%. What about truck drivers, bus drivers, workers in saw mills, loggers and many many more. Actually walking down the street can be dangerous if you forget for one second to check traffic.

But we have probably dragged this off topic for long enough and has been proved by any number of other threads on this topic there is no win for either side.

Have a good one.

Well I know that truck drivers have been using speed to stay awake on long haul for decades, when I was a kid back in the mid seventies it was well known that truckers were a great source for the little white pills.

Considering the millions of trucks on the highways of North America it must be relatively easy to operate one impaired or society would ground to stand still by now?

As for taking someone with them, prove to me it happens on a significant scale to worry about and ill agree to drug testing, its not that difficult.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

strange icbc lists speeding and alcohol as bad accident causes but they dont have a huge stoner campaign for weed users.
sure its a contributing factor but doesnt seem to be a big enough issue to make all the hype being posted here of death and doom and gloom on the roads and job sites.
id love to see some BC or Alberta (as its a working province) stat saying weed smokers are a jobsite industry problem.
sure there is always the occasional baked out hippie that causes a accident but nothing like being spouted here.
lets see some real stats saying people are dying or being injured regularly on the job.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

ukcanuck wrote:
Smurf wrote:The trouble is many of these guys didn't use enough to fry themselves, just enough to be dangerous. Maybe you should think over your 95%. What about truck drivers, bus drivers, workers in saw mills, loggers and many many more. Actually walking down the street can be dangerous if you forget for one second to check traffic.

But we have probably dragged this off topic for long enough and has been proved by any number of other threads on this topic there is no win for either side.

Have a good one.

Well I know that truck drivers have been using speed to stay awake on long haul for decades, when I was a kid back in the mid seventies it was well known that truckers were a great source for the little white pills.

Considering the millions of trucks on the highways of North America it must be relatively easy to operate one impaired or society would ground to stand still by now?

As for taking someone with them, prove to me it happens on a significant scale to worry about and ill agree to drug testing, its not that difficult.

drug testing is the norm in trucking and many worksites.
all camp jobs drug test and weed stays in your system in very tiny amounts for over a month.
its just a bunch of scare tacticts to say the camps are full of stoners.
i have taken wake ups driving they are just the same as cafine drinks and 100% legal.
the roads and camps are not filled with stoners.
more just paranoid people looking for them.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

the last thing we need is people using MaryJ more than they are.Every single person I know thats smokes Joints on a regualar basis that I have known over the years are getting goofy as they get older.memory lose,saying rediculouas things .Definate character change and getting stupider as they go.Like they always said, smoke dope and become one is certainly true
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

ticat900 wrote:the last thing we need is people using MaryJ more than they are.Every single person I know thats smokes Joints on a regualar basis that I have known over the years are getting goofy as they get older.memory lose,saying rediculouas things .Definate character change and getting stupider as they go.Like they always said, smoke dope and become one is certainly true

lol they also say you are who you hang with do they not?
some people shouldnt smoke weed (i was one) just like some shouldnt touch a beer.
everyone is different.
if they have been smoking regular since years ago perhaps they arent the ones that had the character change, you just finally realized your friends may have been stupid since day one.
just a thought.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Everyone has different standards. Mine are that one preventable death is too many, that is why I worked as a safety rep. Any death or accident for that matter that is attributed to impairement of any sort is preventable. Therefore statistics don't mean much to me as I consider one life too many when it is easily preventable and totally the fault of someones bad decission.

Where do you draw your line at it being a problem, 10 deaths, 20 deaths, 30 deaths. You obviosly haven't lost a loved one to one of these people.

Do injuries bother you. Possibly a parent who can no longer support his family. Where do you draw the line there. Where do they become an industry problem, 100 a year. Any employer I worked for thought one was too many, especially if it was caused by some sort of impairment.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
ukcanuck
Fledgling

Post by ukcanuck »

Smurf wrote:Everyone has different standards. Mine are that one preventable death is too many, that is why I worked as a safety rep. Any death or accident for that matter that is attributed to impairement of any sort is preventable. Therefore statistics don't mean much to me as I consider one life too many when it is easily preventable and totally the fault of someones bad decission.

Where do you draw your line at it being a problem, 10 deaths, 20 deaths, 30 deaths. You obviosly haven't lost a loved one to one of these people.

Do injuries bother you. Possibly a parent who can no longer support his family. Where do you draw the line there. Where do they become an industry problem, 100 a year. Any employer I worked for thought one was too many, especially if it was caused by some sort of impairment.

So what is your solution then? As I understand it most work sites have drug testing.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Smurf wrote:Everyone has different standards. Mine are that one preventable death is too many, that is why I worked as a safety rep. Any death or accident for that matter that is attributed to impairement of any sort is preventable. Therefore statistics don't mean much to me as I consider one life too many when it is easily preventable and totally the fault of someones bad decission.

my wifes father and her sister in law both work for the oilfield companies doing safety training and audits and i have never heard anyone say statistics dont mean much.
last i heard they mean everything and are what you base all training and safety on.
if you dont follow stats you are just following your gut feelings which means squat.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Why are we even talking about driving or using at work? We have legal substances already that you can't use at work or before driving. It has nothing to do with recreational use for consenting adults in their down time while not at work or driving. We already have laws that cover not being stoned in some jobs or while driving. Personally I don't care if a dishwasher or video store clerk is high though, only those in high concentration levels of jobs and using machinery so it depends on the job. Smoking a joint before watching a movie at night is not causing harm to our society and should not be illegal. That is the government overstepping their role.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

ukcanuck wrote:So what is your solution then? As I understand it most work sites have drug testing.

they are just creating a inflated problem to use as a excuse.
there is no big workplace weed injury problem.
smoke and mirrors to try and say people shouldnt have the right to sit at home and smoke a joint after work.
bet they would ban playboy also.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

jennylives wrote:Why are we even talking about driving or using at work? We have legal substances already that you can't use at work or before driving. It has nothing to do with recreational use for consenting adults in their down time while not at work or driving. We already have laws that cover not being stoned in some jobs or while driving. Personally I don't care if a dishwasher or video store clerk is high though, only those in high concentration levels of jobs and using machinery so it depends on the job. Smoking a joint before watching a movie at night is not causing harm to our society and should not be illegal. That is the government overstepping their role.

it seems its not just the government that feels they should have the right to decide what others can and cant do on their own time.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

smoking marijuana and being stupid are not mutually inclusive conditions.

As has been proven time and time again on the Castanet forums.
Chill
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Yes, I believe the point of this thread is that we are being told that we don't need to tweak the laws because the police don't bother with possession anymore. Kelowna's main cop when asked about changing the marijuana laws said the Kelowna RCMP didn't arrest anyone last year, but the media uncovered the number of arrests was 187. Slightly off.

Do you think its a good thing that marijuana possession arrests have skyrocketed in BC in the last few years, even though society has become much more tolerant of it?

Money well spent? If so, explain the investment return on the tax dollars invested.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

SurplusElect wrote:Yes, I believe the point of this thread is that we are being told that we don't need to tweak the laws because the police don't bother with possession anymore. Kelowna's main cop when asked about changing the marijuana laws said the Kelowna RCMP didn't arrest anyone last year, but the media uncovered the number of arrests was 187. Slightly off.

Do you think its a good thing that marijuana possession arrests have skyrocketed in BC in the last few years, even though society has become much more tolerant of it?

Money well spent? If so, explain the investment return on the tax dollars invested.

total waste of money is the easy answer.

Return to “B.C.”