Amanda Todd mother declined antibullying forum access

Alvis
Board Meister

Re: Amanda Todd mother declined antibullying forum access

Post by Alvis »

*removed/Jo*
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
gambler
Fledgling

Post by gambler »

Fancy wrote:At any rate, the fact that Amanda Todd's mother wasn't encouraged to attend the forum may have been a mistake but done with good intentions.

That's my impression as well Fancy. I think her mother was excluded for the right reasons. No one knows what the effect of having Carol Todd there may have had on the others attending, so they made a decision based on that unknown. It may not have been the best decision for Amanda's mother, but in the end, it was the correct decision for the antibullying forum.

Excerpts from http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2012/11/1 ... ly-summit/

Reporter: Could she not have just sat there and listened?
McRae: Well, again, this is where it comes down to we made sure we talked to our experts in Theresa Campbell and Kevin Cameron. They were very clear. They thought it was…because the incident happened so recently, that there were risks to the students who were attending, not because of what we knew about the students necessarily but what we didn’t know. It was safer to err on the side of caution in this particular case. I just don’t think I could live with myself if there was an unintended consequence from such an event, if they were to cause harm to themselves because of a conversation that we didn’t realize had a major impact on them.

AND

McRae: I think what happened is we listened to our experts, and our experts said that if this conversation were to occur, there may be unintended consequences. And it was not about any individual. It was about making sure that the individuals who were attending, the young men and women — and there were many — were coming to a safe environment and an environment that was controlled by us and that when they left, they were in a good place and state of mind.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

QUOTE:
And it was not about any individual. It was about making sure that the individuals who were attending, the young men and women — and there were many — were coming to a safe environment and an environment that was controlled by us and that when they left, they were in a good place and state of mind.

all I have to say is cry me a river as you people have to be kidding me here?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Sometimes You Have to Bully to Show How Much You Hate Bullying

This was supposedly an event spurred on by the death of this woman’s daughter (according to Christy Clark), yet she isn’t allowed to be present to listen to what is said? According to government officials the mother would upset the young people at the forum, and perhaps even more telling told Carol “the media will be present.” It appears the Premier is now crossing the line from clumsy to desperate and disgraceful and the heat is surely getting hotter from her caucus. It is painfully obvious Clark and co banned Carol Todd from attending because they didn’t want the limelight off our dear leader when the cameras were rolling.

http://columberta.blogspot.ca/
Chill
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

flamingfingers wrote:
Sometimes You Have to Bully to Show How Much You Hate Bullying

This was supposedly an event spurred on by the death of this woman’s daughter (according to Christy Clark), yet she isn’t allowed to be present to listen to what is said? According to government officials the mother would upset the young people at the forum, and perhaps even more telling told Carol “the media will be present.” It appears the Premier is now crossing the line from clumsy to desperate and disgraceful and the heat is surely getting hotter from her caucus. It is painfully obvious Clark and co banned Carol Todd from attending because they didn’t want the limelight off our dear leader when the cameras were rolling.

http://columberta.blogspot.ca/

I would say that sums it up.
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

Stop derailing the thread/Trip
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

gambler wrote:Reporter: Could she not have just sat there and listened?
McRae: Well, again, this is where it comes down to we made sure we talked to our experts in Theresa Campbell and Kevin Cameron. They were very clear. They thought it was…because the incident happened so recently, that there were risks to the students who were attending, not because of what we knew about the students necessarily but what we didn’t know. It was safer to err on the side of caution in this particular case. I just don’t think I could live with myself if there was an unintended consequence from such an event, if they were to cause harm to themselves because of a conversation that we didn’t realize had a major impact on them.

This seems like the better route and a decent reason. Perhaps she may have come and provide calm insight for the students due to the horrible events that have occurred, or due to the recentness of the event gone on an emotional tangent yelling at all the people in attendance for killing her child.

Is that a risk worth taking? I would agree not. Can she perhaps work toward speaking in these events in a year or two when a longer period of grieving and healing has happened? I think that would be a far better plan.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Alvis wrote:So, she allowed her daughter to commit suicide just so she could have 5 minutes of fame? Can you provide a link to this information?

You must be reading it wrong cause I said nothing of this sorts.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

Captain Awesome wrote:
Alvis wrote:So, she allowed her daughter to commit suicide just so she could have 5 minutes of fame? Can you provide a link to this information?

You must be reading it wrong cause I said nothing of this sorts.

You are implying Amanda Todd's mother simply wanted her "5 minutes of fame."
How else would she have done it but capitalize on her daughters susicide? Go ahead and explain your what you meant.
Tommy Douglas
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Let's not get stupid here. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand what Captain Awesome was saying (...and how to decouple the brackets from the first part).
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

Glacier wrote:Let's not get stupid here. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand what Captain Awesome was saying (...and how to decouple the brackets from the first part).

I'm not sure what Captain Awesome was saying but to me it appears to be quite close to what Alvis is saying or in the very least making assumptions about Mrs. Todd.
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

Glacier wrote:Let's not get stupid here. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand what Captain Awesome was saying (...and how to decouple the brackets from the first part).

Then maybe Capt. ought to quit making libelous assumptions (that he is unwilling to back up) about a mother who just lost her child to suicide.

Yeah I'm the bad guy here.....
Tommy Douglas
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I actually don't see anything that can be stated as libelous. In fact, I've been wondering why the mother stated taking away the internet wasn't going to work yet did it for 6 months. No one needs to be on facebook.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Alvis wrote:Then maybe Capt. ought to quit making libelous assumptions (that he is unwilling to back up) about a mother who just lost her child to suicide.

:137: There you go again putting words in people's mouths. I never once said you were the bad guy. I also never even said I agree with CA.

Why on earth would CA have to back up a claim he never made is beyond me is all I was saying.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

Glacier wrote:
Alvis wrote:Then maybe Capt. ought to quit making libelous assumptions (that he is unwilling to back up) about a mother who just lost her child to suicide.

:137: There you go again putting words in people's mouths. I never once said you were the bad guy. I also never even said I agree with CA.

Why on earth would CA have to back up a claim he never made is beyond me is all I was saying.

Well you claim a grieving mothers actions were for "5 minutes of fame" that is quite an inflammatory thing to say.
it implies she let her daughter commit suicide for her own benefit, in this case, as CA stated "5 minutes of fame." You see nothing sick about this?
Tommy Douglas

Return to “B.C.”