Sled dog slaughter sentence appalls B.C. SPCA

keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Sled dog slaughter sentence appalls B.C. SPCA

Post by keith1612 »

so much for expecting the courts in BC to hand out any form of a decent punishment.
totally disgusting.

The head of the B.C. SPCA animal cruelty investigations says she is flabbergasted at the sentence handed to a man convicted of animal cruelty for the slaughter nine sled dogs after the 2010 Vancouver Olympics.

On Thursday in North Vancouver Provincial Court Robert Fawcett was sentenced to three years of probation, 200 hours of community service and a $1,500 fine, a 10-year firearms ban and a three-year ban on any commercial involvement with animals.

The B.C. SPCA's chief prevention and enforcement officer Marcie Moriarty says she was appalled by the sentence, which did not include any jail time.

"The fact that he did not even receive a lifetime ban on owning or caring for animals just is staggering," she said.

The case was the most complicated animal cruelty investigation it ever conducted by the B.C. SPCA, which dug up the bodies of 43 dogs from a mass grave near Whistler after details of the killings came to light in January 2011. Earlier reports had indicated 56 dog were dug up at the site.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... ghter.html
juz516
Board Meister

Re: Sled dog slaughter sentence appalls B.C. SPCA

Post by juz516 »

A man who pleaded guilty to the slaughter of dozens of sled dogs will not spend time in prison, a judge has ruled, concluding the man had the "best interests" of the dogs at heart when he culled the pack near Whistler after a slump in business following the 2010 Olympics.

Are you freaking kidding me?
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Even the fine was a little slap on the wrist,,, and will be forgotten soon after its paid

Now how can we expect the new laws to be taken seriously? Some judges need to be put in the shoes of a victim to understand the hurt and fear a victim suffers under the hands of an aweful person. Maybe this judge doesnt care for dogs?
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

extemely BAD JUDGEMENT by a so called Judge.what a disgrace to the whole system and the spca etc
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

i have no love for the spca . gotta agree with them here tho . this guy could have given these dogs away in a heartbeat id love a free husky !
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/11/22 ... er-in-b-c/

More than 50 dogs were exhumed from a mass grave in May 2011 as part of a massive forensic investigation by the B.C. SPCA. Court heard most of the dogs that were shot did not suffer.

Animal euthanasia is legal in Canada.

The man did not own those dogs so he could not give them away. The company who owned them ordered the destruction of the dogs. The man was their employee. Perhaps your anger is directed in the wrong place? The company cut the funding for feeding and caring for the dogs to the point where they were starving and fighting each other.

The company should be charged for their part in this, too. IMO they are the reason the man did what he did.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

From what I have read, it sounded more like the company that owned the dogs cut the budget to food and less for the care of the dogs. It sounded to me like this guy got po'd and took it upon himself to do the terrible deed. IF the company wanted the dogs destroyed, then yes, they too should have been on the carpet as well.
If this guy was simply an employee, why did he not just say "No, I will not do that .... go to H", which is what any person that cares for animals would do IMO.
This judge, regardless, sounds like someone else with not much regard for the animals. Pretty sad situation. What is the use in having "new and improved" animal abuse laws with people in power positions basically saying they don't matter?
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

grammafreddy wrote:http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/11/22/no-jail-time-for-man-convicted-in-post-olympic-sled-dog-slaughter-in-b-c/

More than 50 dogs were exhumed from a mass grave in May 2011 as part of a massive forensic investigation by the B.C. SPCA. Court heard most of the dogs that were shot did not suffer.

The man did not own those dogs so he could not give them away. The company who owned them ordered the destruction of the dogs. The man was their employee. Perhaps your anger is directed in the wrong place? The company cut the funding for feeding and caring for the dogs to the point where they were starving and fighting each other.

The company should be charged for their part in this, too. IMO they are the reason the man did what he did.

thats his story and possibly true.
i believe the company is playing dumb.
either way if my boss asks me as a adult employee to do something criminally and morally wrong there is 100% no excuse for me to do it and blame others.
he could have quit and collected EI on the grounds of being asked to do the unspeakable.
i think the owners and him deserve a minimum 2-3 years in prison.
when is canada going to stop pretending to be animal and pet friendly and actually prove it.
why waste SPCA and taxpayers money if judges are going to treat it as a total joke.
this is just like the court cases with the stanley cup riots.
everyone wants to see justice and judges simply shrug it off and hand minial fines.
shameful.
the govt should fire or at least suspend the judges without pay for a few months for this crap.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

grammafreddy wrote:http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/11/22/no-jail-time-for-man-convicted-in-post-olympic-sled-dog-slaughter-in-b-c/

Agreed, both should have to pay, even if the company was to play dumb those were their dogs, working for them to make bucks, its their responsibility to end the work of the dogs by retiring them not killing them or Letting them be killed. The dogs didnt go there looking for work, they should have been treated better and I hope our new laws mean someone cant do this again.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Roadster wrote:
Agreed, both should have to pay, even if the company was to play dumb those were their dogs, working for them to make bucks, its their responsibility to end the work of the dogs by retiring them not killing them or Letting them be killed. The dogs didnt go there looking for work, they should have been treated better and I hope our new laws mean someone cant do this again.

as long as the government in charge considers it a joke and not serious it will happen again.
it perhaps time for a minimum sentence created for true animal abuse that would remove the opportunity from judges to hand out nothing.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

The world would have been better off had some PETA members been hauled out back and shot.

I feel bad for the dogs though.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Liquidnails wrote:The world would have been better off had some PETA members been hauled out back and shot.

I feel bad for the dogs though.

and whats PETA got to do at all with this story?
peta and SPCA are not connected are they?
strange you want animal protection rights people shot and you feel a little bad all the husky's were inhumanly slaughtered.
im not a tree hugger by any means but im still smart enough to see a totally disgusting and repulsive cowardly act when i see it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

keith1612 wrote: im still smart enough to see a totally disgusting and repulsive cowardly act when i see it.

Did you read the link I posted?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

grammafreddy wrote:
keith1612 wrote: im still smart enough to see a totally disgusting and repulsive cowardly act when i see it.

Did you read the link I posted?

just a story his lawyer and him used to gain him a slap on the wrist.
1 dog maybe, even 2
no way 50
he should be exterminated the same way he killed his supposed beloved dogs.
if he can slowly and painfully kill 50 animals he claims he loved what the hell would the animal do to a stranger on the street he doesnt care about.
no sorry i know what punishment i would have handed out, unfortunatly canada law doesnt allow for it.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

this is my question who of us if we were the poor employee would kill the dogs .. tell u what id give my bosses dogs away if he asked me to kill them whats he gonna care he wanted em dead rite

Return to “B.C.”