iPark and ICBC in bed together?

sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

iPark and ICBC in bed together?

Post by sooperphreek »

Triple 6

Re: ipark and icbc in bed together?

Post by Triple 6 »

so icbc is allowed to give out personal information? Is that not a violation of the privacy act?
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

it appears that they dont feel that it is. ipark is one step above mob loan sharks in my opinion. so why would icbc help them? and if it was a private company would they be able to get away with this?? i think not.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Triple 6 wrote:so icbc is allowed to give out personal information? Is that not a violation of the privacy act?

If they have no access to ICBC information, how would they give out tickets?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

the old fashioned way. a ticket slip that you can choose to rip up and throw on the street. except the tickets are made with the same type of paper the money is and you cant rip it. lol there is no reason to tie the 2 together. just like with traffic tickets. a ticket should be a ticket....not a gun to your head.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

sooperphreek wrote:lol there is no reason to tie the 2 together.

That would work great if we lived in a society of people who paid everything right away and consider it below them not to pay for things.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Captain Awesome wrote:If they have no access to ICBC information, how would they give out tickets?

I have no idea. I'm asking if it's a violation of the privacy act.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

If you were parked illegally on their property would that not grant them the right to know who's vehicle it was? I don't know but they are interesting questions.

Impark is a ruthless company that I am certainly no fan of, but this almost seems more like, negligence are carelessness by ICBC that causes people great grief and Impark never backs down or listens to reason, they just say "pay up or else" from day 1.

I'd be curious to know just how often this actually happens though.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Veovis wrote:If you were parked illegally on their property would that not grant them the right to know who's vehicle it was? I don't know but they are interesting questions.

Impark is a ruthless company that I am certainly no fan of, but this almost seems more like, negligence are carelessness by ICBC that causes people great grief and Impark never backs down or listens to reason, they just say "pay up or else" from day 1.

I'd be curious to know just how often this actually happens though.

Lets say you have property and one day a vehicle is left on it. You check with the police and it is not stolen. You call ICBC and ask who the registered owner is.

Their answer,,,,,, WE DON'T GIVE THAT INFO OUT. PERIOD.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Triple 6 wrote:I have no idea. I'm asking if it's a violation of the privacy act.

I'm sure there are safeguards to prevent leaking of private information, and they've been in business for decades, and it's a normal flow of business for them and for other parking lot companies.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

oh but they do......to ipark
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It wouldn't be quite as bad if the tickets were reasonable, but 75-90 bucks for one is gouging!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

my5cents wrote:Lets say you have property and one day a vehicle is left on it. You check with the police and it is not stolen. You call ICBC and ask who the registered owner is.

Their answer,,,,,, WE DON'T GIVE THAT INFO OUT. PERIOD.

I wonder if I said I was writing them a ticket if if would work. (not saying it's wrong to give out, just curious how bad ICBC fails) There must be some issue or policy that allows them to get this for purposes of issuing a fine.

The other option from a ticket is to simply have the vehicle towed if parked illegally. What if Impark let you park and didn't ticket you but towed every car at a 200 plus fee for violations.

ICBC wouldn't be involved, your privacy secure and the costs much higher. (and they are ridiculous as it is)
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Veovis wrote:I wonder if I said I was writing them a ticket if if would work. (not saying it's wrong to give out, just curious how bad ICBC fails) There must be some issue or policy that allows them to get this for purposes of issuing a fine.

The other option from a ticket is to simply have the vehicle towed if parked illegally. What if Impark let you park and didn't ticket you but towed every car at a 200 plus fee for violations.

ICBC wouldn't be involved, your privacy secure and the costs much higher. (and they are ridiculous as it is)

I believe their out is they will provide the information if the entity inquiring has a legal interest in the information. With respect to the parking lots, I gather they have some type of a legal understanding, as likely do by-law departments of cities and towns.

For you and I, we would need a court order.

In Washington state, you have to request the registered owner information in writing and they will mail you the info, but will also advise the registered owner of your inquiry.

I know, for example, a private investigator in BC cannot legally, get registered owner information from ICBC.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Wouldn't surprise me if they were paying ICBC for the information.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “B.C.”