Chief Sh*t Disturber

RCMP officer fined for deadly crash

Post by grammafreddy »

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/84527/R ... adly-crash

by The Canadian Press - Story: 84527
Dec 13, 2012 / 3:46 pm

Photo: CTV
The wreckage of a Ford Mustang is removed from the site of a crash with an RCMP cruiser. July 13, 2011.

An RCMP officer has pleaded guilty in a deadly crash that claimed the life of a 20-year-old man in BC's Fraser Valley last year.

Cst. Jordan Braid admitted to driving without due care and attention in Chilliwack court on Wednesday, while a charge of dangerous driving causing death was stayed.

He has been fined a total of $1,725, including a $225 victim fine surcharge.

Braid was on duty in July 2011 and driving an RCMP vehicle when he crashed head-on into a car driven by Steve Genberg in Agassiz.

He was charged after Abbotsford Police conducted an independent review of the crash.

Braid now faces an internal RCMP review of his conduct.

The Canadian Press

Without going into all this anti-cop crap, can someone explain to me how you can kill someone because you weren't paying attention and only get a penalty of a small fine?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: RCMP officer fined for deadly crash

Post by GrooveTunes »

All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/84527/R ... adly-crash

by The Canadian Press - Story: 84527
Dec 13, 2012 / 3:46 pm

Photo: CTV
The wreckage of a Ford Mustang is removed from the site of a crash with an RCMP cruiser. July 13, 2011.

An RCMP officer has pleaded guilty in a deadly crash that claimed the life of a 20-year-old man in BC's Fraser Valley last year.

Cst. Jordan Braid admitted to driving without due care and attention in Chilliwack court on Wednesday, while a charge of dangerous driving causing death was stayed.

He has been fined a total of $1,725, including a $225 victim fine surcharge.

Braid was on duty in July 2011 and driving an RCMP vehicle when he crashed head-on into a car driven by Steve Genberg in Agassiz.

He was charged after Abbotsford Police conducted an independent review of the crash.

Braid now faces an internal RCMP review of his conduct.

The Canadian Press

grammafreddy wrote:Without going into all this anti-cop crap, can someone explain to me how you can kill someone because you weren't paying attention and only get a penalty of a small fine?

Because what occurred did not meet the threshold of Dangerous Operation. It was a momentary distraction that caused a collision with disastrous consequences. Based on other similar situations (not involving police vehicles) Driving without Due Care and Attention was the appropriate charge.

Really, there is no "fine" that is appropriate for the loss of another persons life. But the fine handed out in this case was the maximum permitted under provincial statute.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
diggerdick
Board Meister

Post by diggerdick »

momentary distraction

In car computer???cell phone???? Not paying attention?????

Anybody else would have the book thrown at them.
Was he checked for drugs and alcohol after the accident

I really doubt it. And the RCMP will probably give him a couple days off without pay As punishment :dyinglaughing:
THINK for yourself - Dont be lead-
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

KL3-Something wrote:
Because what occurred did not meet the threshold of Dangerous Operation. It was a momentary distraction that caused a collision with disastrous consequences. Based on other similar situations (not involving police vehicles) Driving without Due Care and Attention was the appropriate charge.

Really, there is no "fine" that is appropriate for the loss of another persons life. But the fine handed out in this case was the maximum permitted under provincial statute.

So if I had done what he did, that's the max penalty I would get?

Do you know what his momentary distraction was?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

diggerdick wrote:momentary distraction

In car computer???cell phone???? Not paying attention?????

Anybody else would have the book thrown at them.
Was he checked for drugs and alcohol after the accident

I really doubt it. And the RCMP will probably give him a couple days off without pay As punishment :dyinglaughing:

Obviously you didn't read the above link. One day in jail for killing someone isn't having the book thrown at them.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

KL3-Something wrote:

grammafreddy wrote:So if I had done what he did, that's the max penalty I would get?

Do you know what his momentary distraction was?

Yes, and I can only give an educated guess.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I'm uncertain why cut / paste will not work. I read the synopsis regarding section 249 ( Dangerous Driving ) which I wanted to post, it may give some a better understanding why the Criminal charge was not proceeded with.

http://www.ottlegal.com/en/criminal-cas ... g-Law.html

As you will note, it is not always what traffic is present, it also includes what might be present as well. This is sometimes difficult for some to relate to.

Return to “B.C.”