Abandoned Greyhound bus

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Abandoned greyhound bus

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

danmartin wrote:LoneWolf,
You called my statement silly and that I implied that union workers were better! There is no where that I said that so maybe you should understand what you read before calling them silly.

Actually you misunderstood because I was paraphrasing comments made by SE and injecting my take on them.

My only remark directed to you was that much of the post was irrelevant to the argument between myself and SE.

SE implying that union labor and high wages guarantees perfect employess is in my opinion silly, because it does not.

You didn't come here defending a bus driver, that clearly has no concept of how a professional conducts themselves, so I have no issue with you.

I simply tossed in Gormans originally as an example of a very successful non union environment, but didn't want to pursue that further as it would be taken as off topic by mods.

This thread is about the bus driver abandoning his responsibilities, and one person out of many, who felt compelled to defend him, and that by resorting to a lot of speculating and conjecture.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

SurplusElect wrote:I do not know his "seniority level" but the top wage made by a Greyhound driver (so says the Greyhound website) is 22 a hour.

When I googled I also noted 22 an hour, well except for one little detail, that would be a plus sign as in 22+.

To some that may appear trivial, but there is a big difference between a ceiling of 22hr and the ability of drivers to earn above that as indicated by the +. :wink:

Their website also displays the 40K figure which works out to about $20hr, which when factoring in all the generous benefits involved as well, makes it not too shabby of a wage, certainly not such that it would justify the actions of the driver.

I can't think of anything you could possibly share that would make his actions justifiable. Those were not the actions of a rational professional by any stretch.
Last edited by LoneWolf_53 on Jan 16th, 2013, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Just clear up the time since there is only 1 Greyhound bus traveling West from Calgary thru Revelstoke over night.

It arrives at 4:30 am and is to leave at 4:40 am.......... so 4:30 to 7 am is 2 & half hours not 4 hours.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

driver got there at 9 he was the one who knew how to close the door . station in revelstoke has not enuff room for a bus full of ppl
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

From the collective agreement 2008. Benefits calculated to be 30% of wages. Time and a half after eight. Double time after 10.
This guy would have been making about 44$/hr just to sit with the passengers plus accrue meal allowances. SE thinks this is a poverty wage and justifies the driver abandoning a bus load of innocents.

ARTICLE 016 - WAGE SCHEOULE
016.01 Orivers Wage Schedule
Classification Current April 1 , 2007 April 1, 2008
Drivers Base Rate $20.00 $20.60 $21.22
Sightseeing Drivers Rate $21.00 $21.63 $22.28
Charter Rate $18.00 $18.54 $19.10
Shuttle Driver $16.31 $16.80 $17.30
NVI Drivers 3% 3%
016.02 Each driver shall be paid at seventy five percent (75%) of the above base rates until
they have worked twelve (12) calendar months.
016.03 Each driver shall be paid at eighty five percent (85%) of the above base rates, for
work performed after twelve (12) months, until they have completed twenty-four (24)
calendar months.
016.04 The training rate for new employees and all other employees shall be fifty percent
(50%) and sixty percent (60%), respectively, of the above base rates.
016.05 Drivers shall receive their applicable base rate of pay when performing charter work,
when this rate is lower than the listed charter rate.
April 1,2007

http://www.lrb.bc.ca/cas/WTU2.pdf
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Captain Awesome wrote: A jerk of colossal proportions with no work ethic and "low wage 4 life" stamp all over him left his passengers in the middle of nowhere because he couldn't sit in his comfy chair just a bit longer.

Or he is a single dad with a kid waiting for him at home who couldn't wait hours for another driver to show up, which had already happened a few times in the past and this time he couldn't "sit in his comfy chair a bit longer" because he has this thing called a life.

Look, if it turns out this guy just went home to drink beer, I will agree with all the posters who want to believe this man is a lazy pig. Then all I can say is "Greyhound hired him".

I guess I look for the good in people first.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

He said he had done his shift and left - nothing about a kid.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

twobits wrote:SE thinks this is a poverty wage and justifies the driver abandoning a bus load of innocents.

Charter Rate $18.00 $18.54 $19.10

016.02 Each driver shall be paid at seventy five percent (75%) of the above base rates until
they have worked twelve (12) calendar months.

016.04 The training rate for new employees and all other employees shall be fifty percent
(50%) and sixty percent (60%), respectively, of the above base rates.

I assume this would be a "charter" bus.

Your first 6 weeks (training wage?) - 9.05/hour
First year - 13.57/hour
Anything under 2 years - 15.38/hour
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Fancy wrote:He said he had done his shift and left - nothing about a kid.

So, you don't know.

Neither do I.

But lets assume the worst!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Irrelevant isn't it? He abandoned his responsibility.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Fancy wrote:Irrelevant isn't it? He abandoned his responsibility.

Ok so, anything regarding the circumstances of the incident is irrelevant?

You want to say that it was laziness that made him abandon his responsibility. Wouldn't that be irrelevant too then?

In your world, no matter what (world ending, hellfire from the sky) the fact of the matter is he left his post and that's that.

LOL.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

What is relevant is abandoning his responsibility and disregarding the well being of his passengers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

He made bad choices from taking the job to start with, telling the passengers why he was leaving, leaving the bus running (according to one news report) and walking away. Not much to be proud of there.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Fancy wrote:What is relevant is abandoning his responsibility and disregarding the well being of his passengers.

So hypothetically even if Greyhound was stiffing him his pay - too bad - he accepted the job?

Debating with you is like scraping frozen butter over toast sometimes.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Stick to the facts then. You keep embellishing a situation that hasn't been determined.

Return to “B.C.”