Abandoned Greyhound bus

SurplusElect
Übergod

Re: Abandoned greyhound bus

Post by SurplusElect »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:^^ Your employer must be thrilled to tears, to have someone with your selflessness, and charm, on the payroll. :dyinglaughing:

You work for free?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

SurplusElect wrote:Again, for 17 a hour why would he?

Personal work ethics are not dependent on the wage. If you suck as an employee (like this guy), you`ll suck as an employee at $17/hour as well as at $80/hour. Cause you just suck. This guy has no work ethic and clearly not able to deal with stress responsibly. He'll do the same at his next gig - not matter what it pays (hopefully some fast food joint). Good employees on the other hand kick *bleep* at min. wage jobs, and then at $60,000/year jobs. Which they get by kicking *bleep* at low paying gigs.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Captain Awesome wrote: If you suck as an employee (like this guy), you`ll suck as an employee at $17/hour as well as at $80/hour. Cause you just suck. This guy has no work ethic and clearly not able to deal with stress responsibly. He'll do the same at his next gig - not matter what it pays (hopefully some fast food joint). Good employees on the other hand kick *bleep* at min. wage jobs, and then at $60,000/year jobs.

Well, I can agree to a point. Bad people are bad people.

So let me ask this. If this guy had a 80 dollar a hour job, good benefits and program to help drivers have less stress (proactive) and was happy with his job - would he have "walked away"?

Ask yourself - what would I do for 50 bucks, and what would I do for 5 grand? Is there a difference?

What was this guys history with the company? How was he treated? How many 4 hour waits has the driver gone through before?

You can pay people to act better. You can pay people to tolerate things. Look at waitresses. They don't ALL think your cute, y'know ;)
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Have to agree personal work ethics aren't dependent on wage. Integrity and personal pride aren't dependent on wage either. Passengers don't know how much he makes and is irrelevant. The driver is a poor example to others and obviously didn't care about anyone except himself.

nobody on the bus had a cell phone? They all just sat there like cattle? After a hour went by - who did what?
Who knows? No cell service? Too cold to get off and walk somewhere and/or didn't feel safe doing so knowing they could lose all their luggage? Knew the office was opening in a couple of hours so tough it out? Thought a new driver would be there momentarily? Wasn't up to the passengers to arrange for service and still - why didn't the driver make the call - oh yea, he could care less.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

SurplusElect wrote:So let me ask this. If this guy had a 80 dollar a hour job, good benefits and program to help drivers have less stress (proactive) and was happy with his job - would he have "walked away"?

Chances are yes. Like I said, it doesn't matter what people are getting paid, it's what their work ethics are. If you have somebody constantly late for their fast food job, they might get another job that pays double and still be late - because it's who they are, not how much they're getting paid. So, this guy could have been getting paid $35/hour and still walk off because of "I've had it!" incident - because he clearly doesn't have the work ethic for it. If the guy was smart, he would have decided that night to put in his 2 weeks notice and exit like a responsible individual - instead he acted like a highly emotional PMSing cow, not exactly a grown-up way to go. Something tells me it`s story of his life - because his work ethics and habits are story of his life, not his current wage.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Personal work ethics are not dependent on the wage. If you suck as an employee (like this guy), you`ll suck as an employee at $17/hour as well as at $80/hour. Cause you just suck. This guy has no work ethic and clearly not able to deal with stress responsibly. He'll do the same at his next gig - not matter what it pays (hopefully some fast food joint). Good employees on the other hand kick *bleep* at min. wage jobs, and then at $60,000/year jobs. Which they get by kicking *bleep* at low paying gigs.

Exactly! :rate10:

Shame the SurplusElects of this world can't grasp that, and sadly there's far far too many of them.

Captain Awesome wrote: If the guy was smart, he would have decided that night to put in his 2 weeks notice and exit like a responsible individual - instead he acted like a highly emotional PMSing cow, not exactly a grown-up way to go. Something tells me it`s story of his life - because his work ethics and habits are story of his life, not his current wage.

Again, spot on, there is no acceptable excuse for him walking off the way he did, stress or no stress, heck worst case scenario he could have dialed 911 and at least the RCMP would have had to show up and deal with the passengers.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

SurplusElect wrote: So let me ask this. If this guy had a 80 dollar a hour job, good benefits and program to help drivers have less stress (proactive) and was happy with his job - would he have "walked away"?

Sorry Bago. This guy was just totally in the wrong and fodder to feed the fuel of stereotypes. For shame on him.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

SurplusElect wrote:So let me ask this. If this guy had a 80 dollar a hour job, good benefits and program to help drivers have less stress (proactive) and was happy with his job - would he have "walked away"?

Ask yourself - what would I do for 50 bucks, and what would I do for 5 grand? Is there a difference?

What was this guys history with the company? How was he treated? How many 4 hour waits has the driver gone through before?

You can pay people to act better. You can pay people to tolerate things. Look at waitresses. They don't ALL think your cute, y'know ;)

If your rhetoric were in fact true, I wonder what the excuse for the poor quality of workmanship by American workers is here..........
http://www.castanet.net/news/World/8592 ... d-in-Japan
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I don't know - maybe he HAD to get home to take over the shift of caring for his ailing Mother or get his kids from the sitters *shrug* course it was wrong to leave, but maybe he had heard from the other friver saying I'll be there in 5 mins so he felt it was no diff than going for a smoke break.

They were near a town, not in the wilderness.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Can just imagine anyone just upping and leaving their employment at a convenience or liquor store.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

normaM wrote:I don't know - maybe he HAD to get home to take over the shift of caring for his ailing Mother or get his kids from the sitters *shrug* course it was wrong to leave, but maybe he had heard from the other friver saying I'll be there in 5 mins so he felt it was no diff than going for a smoke break.

They were near a town, not in the wilderness.

Wait you mean there is two sides to the story?

I thought the bus driver was just a lazy, union shrill NDP supporter!
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Captain Awesome wrote:So, this guy could have been getting paid $35/hour and still walk off because of "I've had it!" incident - because he clearly doesn't have the work ethic for it. If the guy was smart, he would have decided that night to put in his 2 weeks notice and exit like a responsible individual - instead he acted like a highly emotional PMSing cow, not exactly a grown-up way to go.

Or, he could have known the company has a serious problem concerning late drivers, has been "screwed around" before in this regard and decided to throw the company a PR nightmare bone because his requests that something be done about failing protocol had been ignored. He could have had another job in the waiting.

Responsibility goes both ways. I feel no sympathy for people that sat on a bus for 4 hours like cattle, unable to help themselves. Get off the bus, make a phone call - take responsibility. There is a 24 hour Denny's and Gas station in Revelstoke that has phones and warmth available.

And again - what you pay denotes what people will tolerate. Loyalty doesn't come for free. Take care of your workers and they will take care of you.

You think people wouldn't be "walking off the oil patch" or not "keeping their mouths shut" about what they see up North if they were paid working poor wages, lol?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Doesn't matter what the driver's side is, he failed to live up to his side of employment.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Fancy wrote:Doesn't matter what the driver's side is, he failed to live up to his side of employment.

True enough, but we'll never get the likes of SE to acknowledge that, because to them the problem is always poor wages, and bad employers. No such thing as taking responsibility for their own unacceptable actions.

To SE this is about a driver making a statement, (a statement that as far as I'm concerned, you don't use innocent bystanders to make, in the first place, if that were true) and a bad employer, paying bad wages, yet SE has no info regarding the persons rate of pay, what benefits he had, or his work history. It's always the same answer in any thread that puts into question an employee(s) conduct, poor wages and bad employer. The typical union pamphlet "one size fits all" response to every workplace problem.

Strange how a place like Gormans, has managed to not only survive, but retain, a good loyal work force, for years and years.
Last edited by LoneWolf_53 on Jan 16th, 2013, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Fancy wrote:Doesn't matter what the driver's side is, he failed to live up to his side of employment.

And no matter how disenchanted (if he even was) with his employer, he showned no class and a total disregard for a bus load of innocents. If he was protesting his employer he used those passengers as disposable fodder.
If he HAD to leave for kids, another job whatever, he could have at least told the passengers the situation. No class. No brains.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Return to “B.C.”