Abandoned Greyhound bus

LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Abandoned greyhound bus

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

twobits wrote:And no matter how disenchanted (if he even was) with his employer, he showned no class and a total disregard for a bus load of innocents. If he was protesting his employer he used those passengers as disposable fodder.
If he HAD to leave for kids, another job whatever, he could have at least told the passengers the situation. No class. No brains.

Well said. :rate10:
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

i just cant get over the 4 hrs in the freezing cold and no one does anything to help themselves .
and i agree with most on here who feel this driver no matter what his issues were could have done things a bit better than abandoning the bus . strikes me as similar to the captain of that boat in italy that sunk
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

theyeti wrote:i just cant get over the 4 hrs in the freezing cold and no one does anything to help themselves .
and i agree with most on here who feel this driver no matter what his issues were could have done things a bit better than abandoning the bus . strikes me as similar to the captain of that boat in italy that sunk

I've said this before - where do you get the "4 hours"? Office opened at 7.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Fancy wrote:I've said this before - where do you get the "4 hours"? Office opened at 7.

It was in the original news story.

Question for you tho Fancy- you've repeatedly stated that its the driver's fault for not following policy/terms of employment by not waiting for the relief driver. Could you provide a source for such policy that a Greyhound driver must wait for a relief driver?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

[color=#FF0080]True enough, but we'll never get the likes of SE to acknowledge that, because to them the problem is always poor wages, and bad employers. No such thing as taking responsibility for their own unacceptable actions.

To SE this is about a driver making a statement, (a statement that as far as I'm concerned, you don't use innocent bystanders to make, in the first place, if that were true) and a bad employer, paying bad wages, yet SE has no info regarding the persons rate of pay, what benefits he had, or his work history. It's always the same answer in any thread that puts into question an employee(s) conduct, poor wages and bad employer. The typical union pamphlet "one size fits all" response to every workplace problem.

[color=#FF0080]Strange how a place like Gormans, has managed to not only survive, but retain, a good loyal work force, for years and years.[/quote

Wanted to point out that 17 dollars /hour has been mentioned in many posts. You also throw Gormans as a example of an employer that has survived and I assume you mean without being unionized? Perhaps they treat their employees properly? There is no need for unions in an ideal world but often that isn't the case and some people (empoyers) will take advantage of their employees if they can. Union wages and benefits will often set the standard for what nonunionized people earn.
Last edited by danmartin on Jan 16th, 2013, 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Dizzy1 wrote:Question for you tho Fancy- you've repeatedly stated that its the driver's fault for not following policy/terms of employment by not waiting for the relief driver. Could you provide a source for such policy that a Greyhound driver must wait for a relief driver?

There was an update and I posted it on page 2 of this thread including the policy.
We were without a driver or any kind of security or anything for four hours

Doesn't mean they sat on the bus for four hours.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Under the Passenger Transportation Act, Greyhound as a licensee must retain care and control of commercial passenger vehicles operated under its licence. Licensees are expected to abide by the Act and regulations, and if there is a violation, the ministry works with the company to ensure it performs within the expectations of its license. Read it on Global News: Global BC | B.C. Ministry officials respond to abandoned bus incident

From what you posted, Greyhound is responsible, not "the individual driver".

...unless the Greyhound driver was a contractor.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The driver is a representative of Greyhound - do you know what his contract says?
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Fancy wrote:The driver is a representative of Greyhound - do you know what his contract says?

Greyhound gets the license. How they fulfill (or do not) the obligations of the license is up to them.

If they pay 17 a hour and have a system in place where a driver shows up 4 hours late...

In the end you are responsible for your employees.
Last edited by SurplusElect on Jan 16th, 2013, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

You're fixated on a wage that the driver knew he was getting when he signed up - irrelevant to abandoning your position and responsibilities. The Ministry is looking into the matter to see if charges are warranted.
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Fancy wrote:You're fixated on a wage that the driver knew he was getting when he signed up - irrelevant to abandoning your position and responsibilities. The Ministry is looking into the matter to see if charges are warranted.

If you hire some imported Mexicans to do roadwork at half the cost of a normal roadworker and then a year later a hole opens up in the highway and a family drives in and gets killed - charge the Mexicans?

Greyhound didn't even know how long their employee was driving the bus for!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

This isn't about Mexicans - it's about a driver that abandoned his responsibilities or are you saying he never knew what they were to start with?
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

Is a employer responsible for their employees?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

That's a leading question. If an employee steals from the employer is the employer responsible? No. That's why the Ministry is looking into this particular case - to confirm if charges are warranted.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Fancy wrote: There was an update and I posted it on page 2 of this thread including the policy.
We were without a driver or any kind of security or anything for four hours
Doesn't mean they sat on the bus for four hours.

Thats a cut and paste of the PTA which is full of exemptions and does not conclude leaving a bus unattended is considered "control".

Fancy wrote:The driver is a representative of Greyhound - do you know what his contract says?

Thats what I was asking you
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “B.C.”