Abandoned Greyhound bus

theyeti
Übergod

Abandoned Greyhound bus

Post by theyeti »

really ppl ??

u sat half the night in the cold mountains in january with the bus door wide open . in four hours no one got up and closed the door ?? i know i would have .
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: abandoned greyhound bus

Post by Always Sunny »

theyeti wrote:really ppl ??

u sat half the night in the cold mountains in january with the bus door wide open . in four hours no one got up and closed the door ?? i know i would have .

Yes...because that was the only issue with what happened that night.

If only someone would have shut that dang door! It would have been perfectly fine to strand an entire bus full of people in a parking lot.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/85 ... or-4-hours

Bus/passengers abandoned for 4 hours
by Ragnar Haagen - Story: 85732
Jan 11, 2013 / 4:03 pm

Photo: Jennifer Zielinski

Details are finally beginning to emerge after an incident left a Greyhound bus full of passengers to sit idling at a Revelstoke gas station early Tuesday morning.

According to one of those passengers left on the bus, the whole ordeal came as a shock.

“We got to Revelstoke and when we got there they were waiting for another driver and at that time (our driver) said the other driver was late,” said Mel Watt, who was traveling from Calgary to Vancouver.

“The driver then left the bus; said he was done his shift or done his hours and he left the bus door open in the middle of the night. We were without a driver or any kind of security or anything for four hours.”

Once the bus finally arrived in Kelowna, the head of security for Greyhound immediately boarded the bus and began handing out refund vouchers, but that isn’t enough for Watt.

“I’m just absolutely fed up with this company. They don’t care; they have no concern for their customers,” he says.

“They’re trying to hush this up. I think this is rather serious when you have a driver and you’re stuck in the middle of winter with and open door and an idling bus with immigrants and children on board and no security, no safety and nobody knows where the driver went and simply abandoned his bus.”

After numerous calls to Greyhound went unanswered, Director of Media Relations Maureen Richmond issued an email response to say they are “conducting a full investigation into the incident and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and uncertainty our passengers faced.”

Richmond further explains that the initial bus driver had completed his route and a relief driver was expected to continue the journey from the Revelstoke transfer point. That driver was delayed due to extreme weather and closed roads and in the course of travel had exceeded his available travel hours.

A Federal mandate says by law drivers can only operate for 13 hours and this driver was required by law to take a break. There are extensions of two hours if required due to emergencies, but it is required that drivers are off for eight hours between trips, or longer if an extension is used.

A bus full of passengers - what's that 50-70 people? Nobody had a cell phone?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

well to be fair when u take the bus its usually because u have absolutely no other way of getting there . ive helped repair broken down busses on the side of the hi way the nancy greene junction also in the middle of no where . it took about 8 hrs .
it happens . they had some issues on the hwy that night the guy didnt make it . sleep a few hrs or dont . get a job and a car and drive or go thru all the crap and pay 500 bucks to fly
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

Crap does happen and being stuck for four hours is not the end of the world. However it blows my mind that the driver would have left the bus. Even if he couldn't drive it he had a responsibility to stay with it until relieved by someone from Greyhound. Hard to believe anybody with this level of responsibility would have the lack of professionalism this driver did.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

nextimeround wrote:Crap does happen and being stuck for four hours is not the end of the world. However it blows my mind that the driver would have left the bus. Even if he couldn't drive it he had a responsibility to stay with it until relieved by someone from Greyhound. Hard to believe anybody with this level of responsibility would have the lack of professionalism this driver did.

You nailed the issue square on the head. Big difference between the fellow not being legally allowed to drive anymore, and abandoning a busload of passengers that were his responsibility. Even if asleep he should have stayed on the bus until someone else arrived.

I would have left that door open for all of two minutes before I would have gotten up and closed it. Then again I would have been tempted to drive the beast to civilization too. LOL

What that driver did was not only unprofessional but extremely dangerous as well, since issues can arise with a running vehicle, issues that he can't just presume a passenger would know how to deal with.

No question he should be fired, and I would not be surprised to learn that turns out to be the case.

I find this somewhat of a sad example of the kind of worker there is out there these days, as when I grew up the peers I knew wouldn't ever consider such an act, and still view themselves as professional drivers.
Last edited by LoneWolf_53 on Jan 11th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

How does one close the door of a greyhound bus?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

kgcayenne wrote:How does one close the door of a greyhound bus?

Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

kgcayenne wrote:How does one close the door of a greyhound bus?

Long time ago, when I was on one, I saw the driver use a manual handled thing connected by hinges to the door. He closed the door.

I'm wondering what immigrants had to do with anything, are they special?

I'm also wondering if they were in a Revelstoke Greyhound bus station, why no one got off to investigate. Or used a cell to call 911 by say, hour three and ask for the Revelstoke RCMP to investigate.

I'm also wondering if the original driver was under the impression that the new driver was just a few minutes away. Is this standard practise to leave and someone arrives in a few minutes? Maybe this incident is a "one off".

I'm betting it's a "one off."
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

nextimeround wrote:Crap does happen and being stuck for four hours is not the end of the world. However it blows my mind that the driver would have left the bus. Even if he couldn't drive it he had a responsibility to stay with it until relieved by someone from Greyhound. Hard to believe anybody with this level of responsibility would have the lack of professionalism this driver did.

Im with you on that, is he not responsible to remain on board? What I did find interesting was Greyhound spokesman said, he did not break any law.

Hmm... interesting way of looking at things. What would have they done if a passenger decided to put that bus back on the road and drive to another City.
Last edited by Ken7 on Jan 11th, 2013, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

One off or not, it defies logic, and common sense, to abandon a 200K vehicle loaded with strangers, with the keys in the ignition.

Talk about a liability nightmare had something happened. :200:
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I wonder how long they would have sat there with an open door in the cold dark of night? Days, weeks? The driver ought not to have left, but mercy that they just sat there.
Door has a manual close
but they just sat there. head shake
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

i agree norma far too many ppl just sit and wait . look after yourselves a little !
normaM
The Pilgrim

Re: Abandoned greyhound bus

Post by normaM »

I can't get over it, I mean close the door, call for help, they were at a gas station and the town has police.
I'm surprised some people can figure out how to turn a door knob I really am.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
theyeti
Übergod

Re: Abandoned greyhound bus

Post by theyeti »

ya no doubt call for a ride .. kelowna to revelstoke is only 3 hr drive .
if it was my immigrant on the bus i woulda gone and got them . lol

the spot they stop in revelstoke is just agas station i believe its a chevron and they have a bit of hot food there .
it is not a station .

Return to “B.C.”