I dont give a s
9%

Total votes: 67

kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Banning smokers in public, yea or nay

Post by kibbs »

Source to back up that statement?

This could just be an urban legend ,or specific to some state ,i was told this about 20 years ago in trade school by a teacher explaining the law.He said that if someone could identify the alcohol from a public space even if on private property it was considered drinking in public..Im sorry the source is my Swiss cheese brain.Maybe someone can find a better source .The point is ,if they see you ,if little kids see you doing that nasty dirty thing in public your personal freedoms may be infringed upon
Peace be with you.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

You can drink on your balcony or porch or garage and not worry. Even the street if the whole street is on board. (called a block party)
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
doc2013
Fledgling

Post by doc2013 »

I smoke a pack a day. When they banned smoking in restaurants I was hugely excited (and waitressed at that time). Anywhere the powers that be can ban smoking aside from our own personal homes and vehicles is a good thing. Anything we can do to make it harder or less appealing for the youngsters who are thinking of taking up this rotten, very hard to break habit, I am all for. It makes it so you smoke less and that is a good thing. People are often afraid of change, but this one is very good in my books, and if it stops some kids from becoming smokers, great!!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

kibbs"

This could just be an urban legend ,or specific to some state ,i was told this about 20 years ago in trade school by a teacher explaining the law.He said that if someone could identify the alcohol from a public space even if on private property it was considered drinking in public..Im sorry the source is my Swiss cheese brain.Maybe someone can find a better source .The point is ,if they see you ,if little kids see you doing that nasty dirty thing in public your personal freedoms may be infringed upon.

Even twenty years ago that is not drinking in a public place. Public place definition has not changed in 30 years that I am aware of.

What I do find interesting is the way the RCMP deal with it on the water, that's another topic.
WhenWhatWho
Banned

Post by WhenWhatWho »

Some of you won't be happy until everyone that has even held a cigarette is banned from ever showing their face in public. :skyisfalling: Get a life people.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

When it comes to restaurant/bar patios, I think each establishment should have the choice whether it be non-smoking or smoking. Free market determinism & all that.

Regardless, I'm against removing freedoms, even if it's smoker's freedoms. Seems to me that we have a decent balance right now. I'd rather they banned McDonalds etc. anyway.
Last edited by Woodenhead on Jan 25th, 2013, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your bias suits you.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Woodenhead wrote:When it comes to restaurant/bar patios, I think each establishment should have the choice whether it be non-smoking or smoking. Free market determinism & all that.

Regardless, I'm against removing freedoms, even if it's smoker's freedoms. Seems to me that we have a decent balance right now. I'd rather they banned McDonalds etc. anyway. Seems to me that we have a decent balance right now.

:rate10:

That make sense to me too!

It was funny when smoking was first banned, all the non-smokers stood outside in the smoke.....choke, choke....why if you do not like the smokers inside a bar would you follow them, I thought.
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

and sat in smoking sections when there was such a thing, but complained bitterly! lol
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

i can remember when the nonsmoking section was 4 tables in the back of the place. we've come a long way.
Peace be with you.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

kibbs wrote:This could just be an urban legend ,or specific to some state ,i was told this about 20 years ago in trade school by a teacher explaining the law.He said that if someone could identify the alcohol from a public space even if on private property it was considered drinking in public..Im sorry the source is my Swiss cheese brain.Maybe someone can find a better source .The point is ,if they see you ,if little kids see you doing that nasty dirty thing in public your personal freedoms may be infringed upon

What trade was that? Gasfitting and Family Law?
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

j watson wrote:What trade was that? Gasfitting and Family Law?

It is unfortuane how much nonesense gets passed on as "fact" by people who have no busniess doing so.
Trade school instructor teaching law? Oh really?

But I saw it on Google, it must be true!
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
melscarandtruckrental
Fledgling

Post by melscarandtruckrental »

What about banning alcohol too. Oh Thats been tried :ohmygod:
Better to keep your mouth shut and have people think your an idiot than open it and confirm it !!!

Return to “B.C.”