1,137 B.C. drunk driving penalties to be refunded

jerome2877
Fledgling

Re: 1,137 B.C. drunk driving penalties to be refunded

Post by jerome2877 »

goatboy wrote:No, I sound like someone who is sick and tired of hearing people whine and complain and blame everyone but themselves for getting caught drinking and driving. Again, you're really not complaining about the accuracy of the ASD but rather that you gave a second sample that was a fail. If you really think there's a problem with their accuracy have you considered that your first blow could have actually also have been a fail? No, didn't think you had.

Nope not with 3 beers, no way! I'm tired of people with no clue backing a law that strips the rights of the people of BC.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To goatboy ... yu are again on the money with your comments. Not everyone knows the difference between "a search for truth and justice" and "a debate in criminal law" that belongs in law school rather than our criminal court system.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

jerome2877 wrote:
Nope not with 3 beers, no way! I'm tired of people with no clue backing a law that strips the rights of the people of BC.

So, now it's also my fault? Just wondering when you tested your BAC to know that 3 beers did not put you over the limit or was it something you read on the Internet that led you to believe you were fine?
jerome2877
Fledgling

Post by jerome2877 »

goatboy wrote:So, now it's also my fault? Just wondering when you tested your BAC to know that 3 beers did not put you over the limit or was it something you read on the Internet that led you to believe you were fine?

To answer your question, no I have not tested myself with 3 beers or 1 or 2. I know that it takes between 4 and 6 before I feel a buzz but there is no way that I'm aware of to do a test like that.

Actually I have said that a good idea would be a program where people could go and have their BAL tested especially with the approach our government is taking with nailing even people who blow a warn. This should be no problem for the government to fund especially if the real goal is to educate people so they know their limit.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

jerome2877 wrote:To answer your question, no I have not tested myself with 3 beers or 1 or 2. I know that it takes between 4 and 6 before I feel a buzz but there is no way that I'm aware of to do a test like that.

Actually I have said that a good idea would be a program where people could go and have their BAL tested especially with the approach our government is taking with nailing even people who blow a warn. This should be no problem for the government to fund especially if the real goal is to educate people so they know their limit.

Contrary to popular belief, you don't need to feel a buzz to be impaired. There-in lies the problem, it really is hard to tell if you are actually over the limit. While I don't want the Government (me) paying for people to find out how much they can drink before being impaired, I see nothing wrong with buying your own BAC machine. $289 and you're all set!

http://www.alcotester.com/products/AlcoMate-AccuCell-%28AL%252d9000%29-Deluxe-Hard%252dShell-Kit.html
jerome2877
Fledgling

Post by jerome2877 »

goatboy wrote:Contrary to popular belief, you don't need to feel a buzz to be impaired. There-in lies the problem, it really is hard to tell if you are actually over the limit. While I don't want the Government (me) paying for people to find out how much they can drink before being impaired, I see nothing wrong with buying your own BAC machine. $289 and you're all set!

http://www.alcotester.com/products/AlcoMate-AccuCell-%28AL%252d9000%29-Deluxe-Hard%252dShell-Kit.html

Oh I think the government has taken more than enough money with this scheme that they could afford to set up a preventative program to help people to make the right decisions and to ultimately save lives. That is if the government wants to actually prevent drinking and driving. Its proven in many other circumstances that education beats the threat of harsh penaties!
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

A person should not be driving if, after drinking, they can not accurately determine their MAXIMUM BTA at any given point using their sex, weight, the type of beverage and amount consumed and the periodof time over which it was consumed. For those not inclined to make the effort to learn the easy mathematical process involved you can purchase your own roadside testing device for about $125.00. A person who determines their ability to drive by the buzzz they feel does not have a clue about what IMPAIRED driving is really all about. Yet they profess to tell others what should be done relative to drinking and driving. That is a very sad situation that can result in others being badly misinformed.
Trigger69
Fledgling

Post by Trigger69 »

jerome2877 wrote:
Oh I think the government has taken more than enough money with this scheme that they could afford to set up a preventative program to help people to make the right decisions and to ultimately save lives. That is if the government wants to actually prevent drinking and driving. Its proven in many other circumstances that education beats the threat of harsh penaties!

So what you are saying is it is the govt's job to tell people how much they can drink before driving? I think you are lost in a world of wanting the govt to baby sit people who claim they are not responsible for their own actions. There are plenty of sites on the internet (this one included) where these individuals can educate themselves both with how much they can consume (if they choose to do that) or how to get home using alternative measures if they do not want to drive after consuming. There are endless ways to NOT drink and drive and only one to actually make that decision TO drink and drive. Its called being a responsible adult.
jerome2877
Fledgling

Post by jerome2877 »

You guys crack me up! Your so caught up in arguing your point that you can't take a good idea that could, no would save lives becasue it would cost a few bucks? We are allowed to consume alcohol before driving but are never shown what the limit is. Some say 1 or 2 beers some say 2 or 3. I can tell you that for many years I would have 2 or 3 beers and drive home on a friday after work. I never for a second thought I was a danger to anyone and I never have had an accident related to alcohol. If I was going out with the intention to drink more than that I would do the responsible thing and get a ride or a cab. People like myself are NOT the ones causing accidents and killing people. Studies have shown that people who do cause fatal accidents are well over the criminal limit of .08.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

jerome2877 wrote:You guys crack me up! Your so caught up in arguing your point that you can't take a good idea that could, no would save lives becasue it would cost a few bucks? We are allowed to consume alcohol before driving but are never shown what the limit is. Some say 1 or 2 beers some say 2 or 3. I can tell you that for many years I would have 2 or 3 beers and drive home on a friday after work. I never for a second thought I was a danger to anyone and I never have had an accident related to alcohol. If I was going out with the intention to drink more than that I would do the responsible thing and get a ride or a cab. People like myself are NOT the ones causing accidents and killing people. Studies have shown that people who do cause fatal accidents are well over the criminal limit of .08.

And as you blew a fail, that would put you at least at .10 and do you need to cause a fatal accident to be a danger to others on the road?

You are required to drive below a speed limit, but do you expect the government to provide you with a speedometer or is that your responsibility to make sure the one in your car works properly so that you are well informed on whether you are, in fact, obeying the law?
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

To jerome2877 ...

With all due respect if you, or those other wise people that you refer to can not accurately determine their own MAXIMUM blood alcohol reading before they get behind the wheel of a vehicle they have no right to hold a driver's license. Being impaired IS THE REDUCED ABILITY TO MAKE A DECISION WHEN CONFRONTED WITH TWO POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVES THAT REQUIRE AN INSTANT DECISION IN ORDER FOR THE DRIVER TO PROCEED IN SAFETY. It is NOT the ability of a driver to cause a vehicle to move along a twelve foot lane between to clearly marked lines, which any drunk can do UNTIL A SUDDEN UNEXPECTED INCIDENT FORCES A DECISION TO BE MADE. Given the sex, weight, amount and type of alcoholice beverave consumed over what given period of time a grade six can determine the MAXIMUM reading that the drinking driver will have if stopped by the police at any given time after stopping drinking. Can you?
jerome2877
Fledgling

Post by jerome2877 »

Donald G wrote:To jerome2877 ...

With all due respect if you, or those other wise people that you refer to can not accurately determine their own MAXIMUM blood alcohol reading before they get behind the wheel of a vehicle they have no right to hold a driver's license. Being impaired IS THE REDUCED ABILITY TO MAKE A DECISION WHEN CONFRONTED WITH TWO POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVES THAT REQUIRE AN INSTANT DECISION IN ORDER FOR THE DRIVER TO PROCEED IN SAFETY. It is NOT the ability of a driver to cause a vehicle to move along a twelve foot lane between to clearly marked lines, which any drunk can do UNTIL A SUDDEN UNEXPECTED INCIDENT FORCES A DECISION TO BE MADE. Given the sex, weight, amount and type of alcoholice beverave consumed over what given period of time a grade six can determine the MAXIMUM reading that the drinking driver will have if stopped by the police at any given time after stopping drinking. Can you?

Body weight can be very different on people, some have more fat or muscle, and slow or fast metabolisms that will factor into their BAL. Your calculations WILL NOT accurately determine your BAL and anyone who beleives this to be so, probably didn't get their "grade six" and has no right to hold a drivers licence.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

jerome ...

Nice try ... but your knowledge of the effects of alcohol on the human mind and body is inadequate for the purpose of making a decision whether tosafely drive after drinking or not. The only information you need regarding body fat is that ladies have a fat distribution that causes them to be able to ingest 10% less alcohol then men to attain the same BTA reading. Your comment about drinking 4 to 6 beer tells me conclusively that you do NOT have the ability to determine if you can safely drive. Please learn the simple formula that enables every man and woman to determine their MAXIMUM possible reading using only their weight, the amount and type of beverage ingested and the time period over which it was consumed ... before you too harm yourself or some other innocent party.
jerome2877
Fledgling

Post by jerome2877 »

Donald G wrote:jerome ...

Nice try ... but your knowledge of the effects of alcohol on the human mind and body is inadequate for the purpose of making a decision whether tosafely drive after drinking or not. The only information you need regarding body fat is that ladies have a fat distribution that causes them to be able to ingest 10% less alcohol then men to attain the same BTA reading. Your comment about drinking 4 to 6 beer tells me conclusively that you do NOT have the ability to determine if you can safely drive. Please learn the simple formula that enables every man and woman to determine their MAXIMUM possible reading using only their weight, the amount and type of beverage ingested and the time period over which it was consumed ... before you too harm yourself or some other innocent party.

You need to get off your high horse and go back to grade six! I don't need to learn anything thanks. I now do not drink before I drive because I do not trust the police or their toys used to punish people!!
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

jerome2877 wrote:
You need to get off your high horse and go back to grade six! I don't need to learn anything thanks. I now do not drink before I drive because I do not trust the police or their toys used to punish people!!

Glad you're not doing it because it's stupid and you could kill someone.

Return to “B.C.”