Family Day B.C.

sammym

Re: Family Day

Post by sammym »

Mark1111 wrote:Yes the HST will come back and the money misguidedly spent on trying to get rid of it wasted. Happy Family day BC.

I agree, 100%.

The HST will get legislated back in. No vote, just implemented because it is beneficial to the province.

And yes to the fact that it will cost us a bunch of money that could have been avoided to be spent...
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

callotto wrote: again they screwed over the
Small business person by revoking the HST.

sammym wrote:Absolutely!!! And sorry about being off topic, but when you see something that is SO RIGHT, you have to applaud it!!!

The way the HST was implemented was deceptive...what the HST does for the province is beneficial...revoking it only shows the ignorance of the electorate...(or the fact that they voted based on emotion and not brains...)

I agree that the people have to make a stand once in awhile, but in this case they finally made a stand against something that was in their favour.

All hail the power of the media. If the people actually knew the facts, the HST would NOT have been removed.

:rate10:

Agree 100%. Well said.

It's called cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Except this isn't the HST complaint thread.
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

Graphite wrote:Except this isn't the HST complaint thread.

So sorry. Happy Family Day!

While we're being nit-picky here, "Family Day" is not a Kelowna topic, it should be in the BC thread!
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Re: Family Day B.C.

Post by NAB »

Bubalouie wrote:I'm looking forward to the day off.........but have to question the timing of it......why was it not the 3rd Monday like all the other provinces that observe it.......as well that is an American holiday......not that that really matters but would be nice if even BC and Alberta were the same.........

I agree as my family don't have a long weekend in February to all get together due to BC and Alberta Family Days being on different weekends. Here's how Les Leyne explains it..

""What would Family Day be without a big family fight? But there's no need to
endure one this inaugural February holiday. We've already had it - online.

Premier Christy Clark promised the third Monday in February as a holiday
while running for the B.C. Liberal leadership.

Then there was pressure to change the date. It's already a holiday in the
U.S. and several provinces. There were concerns ski-lift lines would just be
longer and hotel rooms more scarce if B.C. synched its holiday with those.

After she won the contest, the date was reconsidered. They decided to put
the idea out for consultation.

Government estimates the holiday will cut economic output by 0.1 per cent -
$198 million. And it will cost government $28 million in payroll benefits.

The ski industry lobbied hard for the second Monday, since it would provide
the industry a second long weekend in the month and maximize revenue.

The second Monday beat the third Monday by a two-to-one margin in an online
poll.""
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

I think this should be a weekend we should think of poor families .Ones who struggle with sick kids ,who only have one parent who cant afford a ski holiday.Its a good time to reflect on how awesome you and your family have it and do for those who don't.
happy holiday .Peace and long life.warning profanity!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5aQFRc4okE
Peace be with you.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Umm, wrong kibbs. It's a holiday to celebrate all families, rich or poor. One that provides a day to spend with your family. Why does everything have to be some kind of crusade with you? Enough already.
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

Umm, wrong kibbs. It's a holiday to celebrate all families, rich or poor. One that provides a day to spend with your family. Why does everything have to be some kind of crusade with you? Enough already.

That's what I do dude .I let the spirit move me,Listen to the tune and let it move your spirit dear watson.Listen to the interview anyone can be your family brother.
Peace be with you.
msj

Post by msj »

Self-employed so I did do some work today without any interruptions which was nice.

But the cost of having the staff take the day off is ~ $900 so thanks for the extra cost of doing business Christy....
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm sorry, but seriously, did you eat less tonight? Maybe a cheaper meal? Forgo a bottle of wine?

Think of it in another way, now I have NO idea as to what your business is, but maybe some people have extra cash now to spend at yours?

And maybe your employees have extra cash to get that car repair done, or fix their kids teeth or spend an extra day on vacation helping out other small biz people.

Godforbid they make an extra mort. payment, or not have to chose between utilities or food by next paycheck.

Yes, you're out $900 but IH had to keep running no matter what, and Christi made them blow more of their, that'd be the governments, budget.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
msj

Post by msj »

I'm out $900 and I don't get any extra revenue from this extra day off. The staff are all on salary.

I'm a tax accountant who is out the $900 and the firm has to find a way to make up the lost time that is fairly valuable at this time of year for us since we are busy.

That is to say that our staff now are billable for 250 days rather than 251 days (before accounting for vacation time - so we are really talking about people working one less day on 225 - 235 working days in a year). [If you are doing the math - note that we give boxing day off as a stat too although it is not technically a stat in BC]

So, yes, that is a direct hit for our business.

But, of course, I'm the selfish self employed person who is whining and those who get this day off at my expense are all wonderful selfless individuals, I'm sure! :roll:
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by kibbs »

But, of course, I'm the selfish self employed person who is whining and those who get this day off at my expense are all wonderful selfless individuals, I'm sure!

No but some days ya got to stop counting beans and smell the roses.There are more important things in life than money.
Peace be with you.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

And clients are important as well.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

I had to work family day. Oh well double time plus bank a day is great. Bring on the Stats :nyah:
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
msj

Post by msj »

kibbs wrote:No but some days ya got to stop counting beans and smell the roses.There are more important things in life than money.

Who's to say that I don't?

The fact remains that adding an additional stat holiday does have costs for some businesses (not to mention for taxpayers for paying BC government workers for an additional day off with pay).

I can both count the costs and smell the roses at the same time.

Return to “B.C.”