Family Day B.C.

Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: Family Day

Post by Bpeep »

crookedmember wrote:

It would be like pouring acid onto our lonely, lifeless loins.

Nothing wrong with pouring acid on your loins.
If you're having problems, try a weaker acid.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

crookedmember wrote:

A paid stat on Valentines Day would for some of us just mercilessly grind in the fact that we are loved by nobody. It would be like pouring acid onto our lonely, lifeless loins. Like carpet bombing our already barren and abused nether regions. A boot to the crotch, reminding us of every dark woman who ever ripped our pretty red hearts in two.

Well, that and Valentines Day rarely falls on a Monday.

Best post ever on Castanet :dyinglaughing:
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

crookedmember wrote: A boot to the crotch, reminding us of every dark woman who ever ripped our pretty red hearts in two.

Priceless. Just remember, the only constant in all your failed relationships is you. :127:
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

Just close the business for the day. That's why they call it a holiday, so everyone can take it off. Then you don't have to work it and you don't have to pay employees anything.

And your family may appreciate you for being more than a meal ticket.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

crookedmember wrote:A paid stat on Valentines Day would for some of us just mercilessly grind in the fact that we are loved by nobody. It would be like pouring acid onto our lonely, lifeless loins. Like carpet bombing our already barren and abused nether regions. A boot to the crotch, reminding us of every dark woman who ever ripped our pretty red hearts in two.

Well, that and Valentines Day rarely falls on a Monday.

So poetic.

Awesome.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

It will cost the BC Government ( the taxpayer) over 7 million dollars to pay for teacher's wages for "Family Day".
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

RandyDandy wrote:It will cost the BC Government ( the taxpayer) over 7 million dollars to pay for teacher's wages for "Family Day".

How so? Are they adding an instructional day to the school year to make up for Family Day?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

How so? Are they adding an instructional day to the school year to make up for Family Day?

Statutory holiday pay....It's costing my employer about 2 grand...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
okanagankitchen

Post by okanagankitchen »

in case folks are not aware, employees that work at least 15 of the 30 days get paid for a stat holiday, regardless of whether or not they work it. If they work it, they get time and a half. Likely the teachers contract includes payment for these days, regardless of the number of days they worked.
Regardless, this is why businesses stay open, the hope is to make enough to cover these extra, unasked for wages that must be paid.

This, in essence, is why small businesses are not fond of a new stat day in february.
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

MAPearce wrote:Statutory holiday pay....It's costing my employer about 2 grand...

I understand stat holiday pay as far as businesses go but don't see how that would apply to schools.

Teachers have been paid for the 2nd Monday in February every year up until now and if they don't extend the school year to make up for the lost day in class the only difference now would be that they get a day of stat pay rather than a day of work pay. If you are not working on the stat you only get a regular days wages.

Since schools are not businesses there is no loss of revenue, only a day of lost instruction.

Of course if they do add a day to the school year then I could see where the extra wage expense would come in.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Well, since they are my tax dollars, I would rather pay teachers for a statutory holiday than pay for one more expensive tv ad about how wonderful our provincial government is.

I do agree with DashFiveGuy though, unless they're adding an instructional day, it's not costing us anything extra.
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

No one forced you to open a small business, you knew what you signed up for and you knew the risks. If you didn't, that's your own fault. If a single day will kill your business then chances are you were cutting things too close to begin with.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
okanagankitchen

Post by okanagankitchen »

underscore wrote:No one forced you to open a small business, you knew what you signed up for and you knew the risks. If you didn't, that's your own fault. If a single day will kill your business then chances are you were cutting things too close to begin with.

You are 100% absolutely correct. No denying your statement.

So when the things that were not counted on, such as new holidays being added, minimum wage increasing 30% in one year, costs of goods increasing at the quickest rate in 50 years, etc and we raise prices as a result of this, then everyone, as consumers are completely happy with the result as well, right?

Or, in the case of government employees being paid for a new holiday that comes directly from taxes, thats cool too, huh?

Oh, and in small business, things are always too close, just the nature of the beast, and yes, I did know this and fully accept it.
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

MAPearce wrote:Statutory holiday pay....It's costing my employer about 2 grand...

It's costing my employer nothing, we follow federal holidays so we don't get Family Day. :smt022 And no, I don't work for Canada Post.
kdsmummy

Post by kdsmummy »

okanagankitchen wrote:Or, in the case of government employees being paid for a new holiday that comes directly from taxes, thats cool too, huh?

FYI, government employees pay taxes too.

Return to “B.C.”