Family Day B.C.

Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Family Day

Post by Oxl3y »

I'm going to be working it and collecting my sweet sweet triple time.
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

GoStumpy wrote:The only reason a business owner has to complain about Family Day is GREED. Plain and simple.

Sorry if you're angry because you're greedy.... Enjoy the day off and relax.

I didn't read the OP was greedy or angry and when times are slow probably a lot of business owners will be working while the staff have the day off. When you expect customers, someone should be there and that falls on the owners. If you don't make a profit, you can't pay your staff and there are industries that to have a day off just means more work on the next business day - it's not a federal holiday - mail and deliveries are still operational.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

There are things inherent that come with being a business owner. Both good and bad. You walk into it knowingly. That is why so little sympathy is being shown.

If you don't like it then quit hiring staff.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

twofingers wrote:Call me naive, but it seems to me that if I were to go to the trouble and invsestment of opening a business, and my success as a business owner was dependent on hiring support staff that were expected to grow my business, make me profitable, babysit my customers, and be able to support themselves while I pay them minimum wage, I would perhaps think that I should look for some other type of investment opportunity!

What twofingers said.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

cgf wrote:As a local business owner that has always treated his employees well, I am not looking forward to working Monday nor paying out for another Stat in this economy. Just saying...

As a Local Business Owner that I think has treated my employees well, I am looking foward to Closing Monday and having a day off. I dont mind paying my employees the stat day, at least I get a day off.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Oh and one last thing...Thank you Liberals....it was long over due to have a holiday between Jan to Easter.....
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

callotto wrote: again they screwed over the
Small business person by revoking the HST.

I hear ya... I know off topic...but now most people figure out how the HST works vs the PST....and now EVEN then Restaurant owners would love to have the HST back.

But thats for another thread...Thank you Vanderzalm...thank you very much....btw...where are you?

Also I hear within 5 years the government of Canada is going to make all provinces to become HST....to compete with other Countries. Canada has to have a unified tax system not from province to province to compete....so again thank you Vandersalm...we could have kept that extra money....
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

No one was ever stopping business owners from providing their employees a day off in February.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

okanagankitchen wrote:You are 100% absolutely correct. No denying your statement.

So when the things that were not counted on, such as new holidays being added, minimum wage increasing 30% in one year, costs of goods increasing at the quickest rate in 50 years, etc and we raise prices as a result of this, then everyone, as consumers are completely happy with the result as well, right?

Or, in the case of government employees being paid for a new holiday that comes directly from taxes, thats cool too, huh?

Oh, and in small business, things are always too close, just the nature of the beast, and yes, I did know this and fully accept it.

Have they not been talking about this holiday for quite some time now? It's not like they announced it just last week. I agree that the minimum wage change should have been brought in more gradually. Not all small businesses are cutting it so close that 1 day could risk their business, but any that are may need to rethink how they do things.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Oxl3y wrote:I'm going to be working it and collecting my sweet sweet triple time.

Check with someone who makes the same money as you do.

How much more will you make by working the Statutory Holliday. I quite working stats after my second year. It ended up, working a stat holiday pocketed me $75.00.

Wow, divide that by 12 hours as a shift was all that, and I was making less then minimum wage. I preferred having the time off, more so then working for less then 1/3 wages.

While you're working, we'll be eating steak and drinking cold beer, enjoying family so you enjoy!! But please let us know if you made more than minimum wage o.k. Thanks!
Charles Whitman II
Board Meister

Post by Charles Whitman II »

" Tis a poor excuse for picking a man's pocket every 25th of December." - Ebenezer Scrooge.

(actually Charles Dickens... but delivered best by Alister Simms...)
"If you're going to be crazy, find a way to get paid for it, or they're gonna lock you up." - HST
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

I just like your quote: "If I had more fingers, I'd press more buttons"
sammym

Post by sammym »

Oxl3y wrote:I'm going to be working it and collecting my sweet sweet triple time.

This is a classic example of not knowing how pay works on holidays.

You get the day off, and if you qualify (based on amount of hours and days worked in the last 30 days), you get paid an average amount of hours for the stat.

If you work that day, you get paid that average for the stat and then you get paid 1.5 times your wage for every hour worked.

At best it works out to 2.5 times your wage to work on a stat. There is only sweet, sweet triple time if you end up working beyond 8 hours on a stat.
sammym

Post by sammym »

callotto wrote: again they screwed over the
Small business person by revoking the HST.

Absolutely!!! And sorry about being off topic, but when you see something that is SO RIGHT, you have to applaud it!!!

The way the HST was implemented was deceptive...what the HST does for the province is beneficial...revoking it only shows the ignorance of the electorate...(or the fact that they voted based on emotion and not brains...)

I agree that the people have to make a stand once in awhile, but in this case they finally made a stand against something that was in their favour.

All hail the power of the media. If the people actually knew the facts, the HST would NOT have been removed.
Mark1111
Board Meister

Post by Mark1111 »

Yes the HST will come back and the money misguidedly spent on trying to get rid of it wasted. Happy Family day BC.
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln

Return to “B.C.”