Give Christy A(nother) Chance?

Dash5
Übergod

Re: Give Christy A(nother) Chance?

Post by Dash5 »

flamingfingers wrote:Jobs Lost In All Of Canada In January 2013 – 21,900.
Jobs Lost In British Columbia In January 2013 – 16,000.
73% of the jobs lost in Canada are from BC!

Source?

Had a quick look at StatsCan and couldn't find anything to back these numbers up but did notice the Vancouver Sun reporting the following:

Statistics Canada says Canada's economy lost 21,900 jobs last month but the official unemployment rate fell slightly as many people stopped looking for work.

But then the story goes on to say:

The provincial government faced heavy criticism over its jobs strategy on Friday as Statistics Canada released data showing that B.C. lost thousands of jobs last month and recorded one of the slowest job growth rates in the country. The federal agency said Ontario and B.C. were responsible for almost all the employment reversal in January, with losses of 31,200 and 15,900 respectively.

Well which is it??
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Across the country jobs are lost and jobs are gained, the difference between the two is the net national number - up or down. Seems BC and Ontario were responsible for most of the jobs lost side.

More in this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=49120

StatsCan deals with it here...

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidie ... 8a-eng.htm

Nab
Dash5
Übergod

Post by Dash5 »

NAB wrote:Across the country jobs are lost and jobs are gained, the difference between the two is the net national number - up or down. Seems BC and Ontario were responsible for most of the jobs lost side.

More in this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=49120

StatsCan deals with it here...

Nab

I went to the StasCan site first but I couldn't find anywhere on there that mentioned figures similar to FF posted (admittedly I didn't spend hours chasing links, didn't have the time).

The reason I'm asking is because I am questioning the claim that 73% of the net loss of 21,900 jobs in Jan 2013 were in BC. In searching for something to back-up or refute these figures I did discover several conflicting reports but nothing quoting the figures FF provided.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

DashFiveGuy wrote: I went to the StasCan site first but I couldn't find anywhere on there that mentioned figures similar to FF posted (admittedly I didn't spend hours chasing links, didn't have the time).

The reason I'm asking is because I am questioning the claim that 73% of the net loss of 21,900 jobs in Jan 2013 were in BC. In searching for something to back-up or refute these figures I did discover several conflicting reports but nothing quoting the figures FF provided.

Just consider the source Dash 5. It is the same primary level arithmetic and cognative reasoning as spewed by the oft quoted Tyee. It is intended for people that cannot think for themselves. Here they use parlour trick math to try and convince you that 73% of all lost jobs were in BC, ergo, the Liberals are bad. Fortunatly you were smart enough to question the legitimacy of the conclusion. Millions of NDP minions however will not be.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

^^Whatever that 73 % number does or doesn't represents,does not negate the facts,that BC is and has been steadily loosing jobs since 2009.Contrary to the Liberal 15 million dollar ad campaign claiming BC is leading the country in job creation.

“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

maple leaf wrote:^^Whatever that 73 % number does or doesn't represents,does not negate the facts,that BC is and has been steadily loosing jobs since 2009.Contrary to the Liberal 15 million dollar ad campaign claiming BC is leading the country in job creation.

So your response is "whatever" to a clearly manipulated and fabricated number? How typical of you. And further, you carry on with more malarky as evidenced by your statment that BC has been steadily losing jobs since 2009. Even the link you provided does not support that statment so I doubt you even read it. Probably because it didn't come from the bible you and FF refer to ad nauseum, the Tyee.
The graph with the downward trend since 2009 is the unemployment rate. In my world when this graph trends downward it is a good thing. To compound your lack of examination is that it is for the whole of Canada, not BC. Fact is, there is nothing in the article that even references employment in BC back to 2009 but hey, why let the truth and facts get in the way eh maple?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by maple leaf »

twobits wrote:
So your response is "whatever" to a clearly manipulated and fabricated number? How typical of you. And further, you carry on with more malarky as evidenced by your statment that BC has been steadily losing jobs since 2009. Even the link you provided does not support that statment so I doubt you even read it. Probably because it didn't come from the bible you and FF refer to ad nauseum, the Tyee.
The graph with the downward trend since 2009 is the unemployment rate. In my world when this graph trends downward it is a good thing. To compound your lack of examination is that it is for the whole of Canada, not BC. Fact is, there is nothing in the article that even references employment in BC back to 2009 but hey, why let the truth and facts get in the way eh maple?

I'm not afraid to admit when I am clearly wrong, and I agree the graph shown is for all of Canada.And if you have a link to the article you claim to know came from the Tyee,I would like to read it and see what context that number 73% is being represented as.
Snip from that article.
Employment in British Columbia fell by 16,000 in January, and the unemployment rate was 6.3%. With this decline, employment in the province returned to a level similar to that of 12 months earlier.

[/quote]

The provincial government faced heavy criticism over its jobs strategy on Friday as Statistics Canada released data showing that B.C. lost thousands of jobs last month and recorded one of the slowest job growth rates in the country.The federal agency said Ontario and B.C. were responsible for almost all the employment reversal in January, with losses of 31,200 and 15,900 respectively.

The jobs shed in B.C. were mostly part-time positions and concentrated in construction, health care and social assistance.

Compared to last January, employment was up slightly by 0.1 per cent, but the data showed that's the third-slowest year-over-year job growth in the country after Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Alberta, for example, was up 1.9 per cent, while Saskatchewan was up 4.1 per cent.

Provincial NDP finance critic Bruce Ralston blasted the government over Friday's numbers, saying they conclusively show the B.C. Liberal jobs plan — and its taxpayer-funded promotional advertising campaign — has been a failure.

"They should be taking ownership for what is a huge policy failure and also a pretty deceptive set of advertisements that were paid for by the public," said Ralston, referring to a $15-million advertising campaign that has been touting B.C.'s accomplishments on job creation.

"They talk about British Columbia being No. 1 in job creation. We're second last among Canadian provinces," he said.

Ralston added that when looking at private-sector job figures, the province has actually lost jobs since September 2011, when Premier Christy Clark launched the B.C. Jobs Plan.

"The private-sector job losses over the life of the plan so far has been 37,000," he said. "The program is a complete failure."

Friday's numbers come as a blow to Clark, who has been basing the bulk of her re-election strategy on the jobs plan, and on positioning her government as better stewards of the economy then the NDP.

The new figures open the door for Ralston to argue the premier took a wrong tack.

"Some of the long-term things that we have talked about that would be incremental would be skills training and all those kind of programs," he said. "Those are not things where you turn the ship around overnight, but that's the sort of long-term commitment to building a real jobs strategy that you need in British Columbia.

"I think maybe they believed their own rhetoric. I'm not sure why. But this was a political exercise and a public relations exercise, and the real economy hasn't supported what they've said."

Jason Gilmore, senior analyst with Statistics Canada, said most of January's employment decline was driven by women age 25 and older, and could point to job cuts in sectors where there are a large number of female employees, such as caregiving and social assistance.

Despite the losses, Statistics Canada says the unemployment rate edged down in B.C. to 6.3 per cent from 6.4 per cent in December. In Vancouver, the unemployment rate is at 6.5 per cent, down from 6.7 per cent last month.

Labour minister Pat Bell insisted Friday that despite B.C. leading with Ontario in job losses across the country, and reporting one of the slowest year over year job growths, the province's economy remains stable.

"I think there is real volatility in the marketplace. We should stick to what we do well. ... We need to continue to drive our economy and look to China and India if we want to have long-term success."

He said the loss of so many part-time jobs since last January indicates that more people are moving into full-time positions.

As for the month-to-month losses in construction, Bell described them as "seasonal anomalies" and believes the numbers will pick up "as we move into better weather."

He noted that year-over-year employment in the Lower Mainland increased by more than 10,000 jobs and more than 11,000 on Vancouver Island, and that any declines are concentrated in the Thompson-Okanagan and the North Coast-Nechako regions.

"It is always difficult to see job losses in British Columbia. But we have a plan and we are sticking with that plan. We continue to see investment, and with that investment will come jobs," he said.

"Last year, we recorded seven months where full-time employment increased in B.C. and there were improved labour market conditions across the province. I have no doubt that, despite continued economic volatility, B.C. will continue to attract investment, and create jobs for British Columbians."

Almost 58,000 Canadians left the workforce in January or ceased looking for employment, the largest exodus from the labour market since 1995.

Economists had expected a modest 5,000 gain in jobs nationally, but there was a signal in the Conference Board's help-wanted survey earlier in the week that the results would be weaker. The think-tank's sampling pointed to a loss of 16,600 jobs.

[email protected]

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/business/ec ... z2KjJLyXqv

Christy Clarks 15 million dollar ads claim BC is leading the country in job creation.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Fantasy Gardens in the Leg:

Vaughn Palmer: When the gruel is this thin, fantasy looks like a good alternative

By Vaughn Palmer, Vancouver Sun Columnist February 12, 2013

VICTORIA — Bereft of revenues, political momentum and much in the way of new ideas, the B.C. Liberals Tuesday staked the last throne speech of their current term on wild speculation about a single sector of the economy.

Item: “The economic impact of five new liquefied natural gas plants will be significant. Projected total revenues to government are estimated between $130 billion and $260 billion over the next 30 years. In order to maximize the benefits to future generations, the provincial government is establishing a new B.C. Prosperity Fund.”

Fund to begin accumulating in 2017, just in time for the next election in the four-year provincial cycle. Benefits determined by calculations from two independent reports, neither of which was made public.

Item: “LNG development is poised to trigger approximately $1 trillion in cumulative GDP within B.C. over the next 30 years and that means more than $100 billion will flow directly to the prosperity fund.”

How do the Liberals plan to generate this astonishing windfall? By hiking taxes on the industry they hope to create.

Item: “By introducing an additional tax applicable to LNG in B.C., we can maximize the benefits to British Columbians while still remaining competitive.”

Competitive with whom? Australia, mainly. And according to a review conducted by the Liberals, which they’ve also not released, B.C. has plenty of room to move on the tax front vis-à-vis Down Under.

Item: “This review has concluded that B.C.’s main competitor is Australia, which has an LNG tax and royalty regime that is up to one-third higher than B.C.’s.”

This at a time when industry has been lobbying Ottawa for $2 billion in relief from federal taxes to jump-start the development of LNG facilities here in B.C.

Do the Liberals seriously expect Ottawa to reduce its tax room on natural gas while Victoria is publicly scheming to increase its levies on the same product?

Apparently so, for I gather that the natural gas sector has been told to brace itself for the likelihood of a made-in-B.C. “arbitrage tax” on LNG, levied on the difference in unit prices between here and Australia.

One can readily imagine what the Liberals would be saying were the New Democrats proposing to raise the provincial levy on natural gas by as much as a third.

But when Premier Christy Clark was asked about her intentions on the tax front, she huffed that she wasn’t about to “conduct negotiations through the news media.”

As opposed to doing it by press release, it would seem.

Besides, the premier and her ministers hope the public will be caught up in the speculation about all the wonderful things that could be done with that hypothetical $100-billion prosperity fund.

Item: “A main focus of the B.C. Prosperity Fund will be to reduce the provincial debt ... eliminating the provincial sales tax or making long-term investments in areas like education or vital infrastructure.”

Eliminate the provincial debt! Wipe out the sales tax! Why not use the money to cure cancer, build a fixed link to Vancouver Island or colonize Mars?

By this point in the day’s overheated narrative, one needed reminding that to date the province has precisely zero LNG plants, nor have any of the major global players with an interest in B.C. (Shell, Chevron, etc.) green-lighted the construction of one.

Plus there’s the matter of negotiations with the province and BC Hydro to provide the necessary gobs of power for LNG terminals, which terms aren’t expected to be finalized until after the election.

Still, one could readily grasp the Liberal predicament as they sat down to craft their legislative agenda. The remainder of the throne speech was the thinnest gruel imaginable, recycled promises from past years, new promises so negligible as to be pathetic.

Item: “Your government will begin the work to create the environment for a school of traditional Chinese medicine at a B.C. post-secondary institution.”

Begin work, mind you. To create the environment for a school of traditional medicine. At a post-secondary institution to be named later. Who says this government has run out of ideas?

Seriously, judging from the contents of the throne speech, the tank has run dry for the Liberals. So perhaps it is not all that surprising that Clark and her colleagues decided to escape into the throne speech equivalent of virtual reality.

“Listen up, voters. We’re going to build a bunch of LNG terminals, create umpteen jobs, raise a zillion dollars, eliminate the sales tax, wipe out the provincial debt and we can all live happily ever after.”

And you thought they’d put Fantasy Gardens into mothballs after Bill Vander Zalm left office.

[email protected]
Chill

Return to “B.C.”